The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Retrofit insulation to keep barn w/ tin roof COOL?

I'm looking at a property that has a (potentially, with some work!) 2-stall barn with a tin roof. I've lived in the South long enough to know that in the summer, a barn with an uninsulated tin roof turns into a blast furnace and stays that way until well after midnight.

So: ideas for roof insulation I could conceivably retrofit that would keep the place cooler?

And specifically would the foam-on stuff be any use, or is that more designed to keep spaces warm??

The barn I boarded at that stayed the coolest in summer had what looked to me like pieces of styrofoam kind of balanced on the rafters, leaving a space between the rafters and the roof. That seemed to trap the hot air up there by the ceiling and keep it there.

This barn however does not have that option, or even (I think) enough room to get the old-fashioned pink insulation up, since the rafters are up way too close to the tin roofline.

I'd love to know some thoughts as to whether retrofit insulation of some kind in this barn would be a lost cause or not. Thanks!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

We insulated a 100x70 barn with no problems.
    My husband used extruded polystyrene which come in 4x 8 sheets(pink stuff). This material does not absorb water which is why we used it.
    He used 3/4 inch by 3/4 inch strips of wood stapled to the barn beams to hold the pink sheets up. The pink sheets are very light weight and easy to cut. The pink sheets were trimmed to fit in between the beams and held in place by the wood strips. It made a tremendous difference in our barn! Let me know if you need more detail.
    We did not have an air space between the roof and the insulation. We did install a refrigeration fan at the peak of the barn that is on a thermostat to turn on at 70. The fan blows the hot air to the outside

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks so much, Ticker! That sounds like it might work.

And oooh a ceiling fan, didn't think of that. That's a good idea too!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Around here it gets very warm in the summers, to 110F for many days.

Any more, people are using spray on insulation for barns and they say it really helps cut the heat a good 20* at least in the hottest days.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Depending on how it's put on, it might be easier to take the tin off a couple of panels at the time, and do the install from the top. If it's put on with screws, that's the way I would do it. Just get new screws, plenty long enough of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    We insulated a 100x70 barn with no problems.
    My husband used extruded polystyrene which come in 4x 8 sheets(pink stuff). This material does not absorb water which is why we used it.
    He used 3/4 inch by 3/4 inch strips of wood stapled to the barn beams to hold the pink sheets up. The pink sheets are very light weight and easy to cut. The pink sheets were trimmed to fit in between the beams and held in place by the wood strips. It made a tremendous difference in our barn! Let me know if you need more detail.
    This is what it eventually plan to do. I was a dumbass and didn't insulate when we built the barn. Then I was a dummy again when a local discount place had a truckload of 1" foam sheets for like $3 each and I didn't scarf 'em up.

I think the spray on foam might work the best. I bought 4 inch thick styrofoam and placed it between rafters - works ok but there are some gaps that reduce its efficiency. I had a workman want to remove my roof and install insulation but his price was exhorbitant.

Thanks so much, everyone!! Really helps. I'd prefer to use the foam stuff b/c that way I can do it sort of piecemeal, one section at a time as and when I have time/$. Luckily I'm horseless at the moment so there's no scary deadline for getting it done.

As to the foam-on stuff, am I better off doing it in the winter or summer?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Thanks so much, everyone!! Really helps. I'd prefer to use the foam stuff b/c that way I can do it sort of piecemeal, one section at a time as and when I have time/$. Luckily I'm horseless at the moment so there's no scary deadline for getting it done.

As to the foam-on stuff, am I better off doing it in the winter or summer?

Thanks again!
    If it is too cold it won't stick - so I'd go for spring/fall. Spray on is also expensive, so perhaps just use the pink stuff and buy small cans of spray on for areas where the pink stuff doesan't work well.
    Sandy in Fla.

1 members found this post helpful.