The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Realtors in Ocala

Looking for a good, agressive, farm, buyers rep/ realtor in the Ocala area.
    We are out of state and would like to find someone who would actually be interested in helping.
    Last one I contacted couldn't be bothered sending additional pictures of a property for which she was the listing agent. I know they get a lot of tire kickers, but she didn't bother to pursue further. Market must be good.
    And additionally, what is the market like there now? TIA

All I know is when I drive home up 225A, which is a superhighway of gorgeous farms, theres more for sale signs than I can even count. You really need to make a trip here and look yourself, I think you'll be amazed how much is for sale.

We are herw now. We are looking on the west side--cheaper than the east side. Boocoo bunches of for sale signs. On both sides of town. And a lot are for sale by owner. If that tells you anything. So yes, book a SW flight into Orlando, find a flight into Gainesville, and get your butts down here for a week or so. NOW.

They are selling parcels of Irish Acres. Nice looking land. I think they are going as farmettes.

We plan to make the trip soon.
    MeghanDACVA I'm confused, you say the west side is less expensive. Do you mean west of I-75? I really don't find much in the MLS listings on the east side.
    I think we would be looking between Rt 27 and 75 on the northwest quadrant.
    Any help appreciated. Realtors?
    Microbovine where is Irish Acres?

Irish Acres is one of the first big farms you see heading south along 301. I think the other poster may be talking about Dunnellon. I would also look at Alachua, which is north towards Gainesville. Ocala and Dunnellon is more old folks while closer to Gainesville is more vibrant, young and liberal. The further south, the older (plus Ocala is north of that nasty massive old folks community, The Villages).

It depends on what you like. I find the older communities to be grumpy and unfriendly so we live between Gainesville and JAX. Also, don't rule out Old Town and Micanopy. Strong word of warning, thoug, if you want rural Florida, you'll get along best if you attend the local church. In most towns entioned, that would be conservative Baptist. Rural Florida can still be backwards in atitudes. We are only friends with others who have moved to our area. None of the locals talks to us excpt to invite us to their church (we have told them we already have our church. We would not be invited to the local church if we were black. And, yes, our son is going to a school 30 minutes away at private school. Dunnellon has a lot German churches (Lutheran). Gainesville has everything and is much more accepting.

Thanks Microbovine, but we're set on Ocala, plus we're old. This would be for a winter farm only, and thankfully don't have to worry about schools or churches.

Ah, well, see if Irish Acres is still parceling. There are also lots of the big gorgeous farms that are desperate for boarders. You could buy the open land and build it how you want while your horses are boarded. I would research open barn plans with good air circulation. Also, import hay unless you want to roll the dice with coastal. Most hay farmers cut it too low and a lot of sand is sucked in during baling. Sand Clear, or other similar product, is a must when feeding local hay or pasturing on closely clipped pasture. Sand colic is very common.

Default just type Ocala horse farms for sale

into your search. Ocala Horse Properties. You'll get the two brothers, who will deluge you with emails and phone calls. You will, depending on your $$$$$ get assigned to an agent. I sent one little email to them 4 years ago and I'm still getting solicit stuff. They will take you a tour, they will be aggressive and they will return your calls. They emailed me a "driving" tour of the big dog areas (none of which I could have afforded) .

Just be honest and up front about where you want to be and what you want to spend, they will try to get it done.

This is only my experience, others may have had different ones, but they do seem to be a presence in the Ocala horse community.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    into your search. Ocala Horse Properties. You'll get the two brothers, who will deluge you with emails and phone calls. You will, depending on your $$$$$ get assigned to an agent. I sent one little email to them 4 years ago and I'm still getting solicit stuff. They will take you a tour, they will be aggressive and they will return your calls. They emailed me a "driving" tour of the big dog areas (none of which I could have afforded) .

Just be honest and up front about where you want to be and what you want to spend, they will try to get it done.

This is only my experience, others may have had different ones, but they do seem to be a presence in the Ocala horse community.
    OK, I know of them, can't swing a dead cat and all that, and do like the fact that they sponsor a lot of horse events in that area. I was afraid that they would be too busy to deal with the smurfs. I know there are realtors on COTH and I don't want to get their fur ruffled, but I have had a few experiences where the realtor doesn't want to do any work and it becomes the buyer's second job. That's why I was looking for recommendations. Good to hear that they actually want to sell properties. Thanks.

I never got the idea that Irish Acres was mini farms. Its directly across the street from Stronach's new golf course. I think its only one acre parcels, not farmettes. If you head north on 301, getting upwards towards the Anthony/Sparr/Citra/Reddick area, theres oodles of farms there, and its a really nice area. I may be a bit biased, since Ive lived there for 10 years, but I love it there. Close enough to town (within 10 miles of Ocala and 30 miles of Gainesville) yet far enough out to be very peaceful and quiet. And horse farms everywhere.

Check trulia.com. Check those areas I mentioned, and I think you'll get a pretty good idea of whats available.

I'm south of Ocala and around here the small farms/farmettes are selling pretty quickly so maybe you need to come down in person and look around. that's what I'd suggest if you're planning to purchase right away, otherwise anything you see or get info on now, may not be available when you get here.

Also be aware their is a vein of really good soil that runs north and south. Its where the original TB farms back in the early 60's set up shop. Unfortunately the town of Ocala has taken up a lot of that ground, but if you go north or south of town, you may still get good soil. When you start to go too far east or west, you get into very sandy soil. As you're driving around, check the trees. If its a lot of pine trees, you're in a sandy area. If its live oaks, its more loamy. Im in a very loamy area, so I have dirt, same as I had in NJ. And it grows grass like crazy.

Halo, you would know better since you live in Ocala.

The good soil isn't necessarily where oaks are. You have to see the soil. We have plenty of mature oaks as shade trees in our pastures and some of the sandiest soil in Florida.

Duplicate post.

No realtors - but you can try looking at this site:

http://ocala4sale.com/real-estate/ocala-homes-sw.php

I gave link to SW Ocala region but there are links at the top of the page from NW, NE, etc...

Best of luck!
    Sandy in Fla.

Default Realtor in Ocala

Yes I know one ME! I am the type that works on Sundays, no family, just horses and dogs. My objective for buyers is to find them a farm, not sell my own listings. Been a Realtor for 13 yrs. I specialize in Horse Farms, have ADD for answering my phone.

Default Ocala Real Estate Market

There is a lot of inventory and some great buys in Ocala right now. Most of the farms are WAY overpriced, unrealistic especially since recent sales will not support the price of some listings, hence not acheiving appraised value, then no loan.. ( I only list what I know I can sell..BTW) However if you make lowball offers ( which I am not afraid to do for a client, infact they bring me joy!), you will be surprised. Farms are selling for 30% less than asking quite often. You just have to throw a lot of "you know what" against the wall as far as offers and something will stick.

My advice to anyone buying and paying cash in Ocala GET AN APPRAISAL and make your contract contingent upon buyer`s approval of apprasial. Unless you have a super sharp Realtor that will show you recent sales. Demand that in fact.
    This will protect those of you who are in uncharted waters.

Karen Grimes
    The Ocala Realtor

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks to all for the replies. I actually left for Ocala before I received some of the suggestions. Farmtours sorry i missed you. Having just returned I can say i agree about the inflated prices, but not knowing the market it was hard to tell long distance. There are quite a few properties that were purchased at the height of the market and they want to make some appreciation and also ones that people are trying to flip, good luck with that. Saw one property that was purchased last year for 750K they tore out all the fencing, tore down the house and barn filled in the pool and now want 250K more
    A few others that added paint and did a little remodeling, nothing fancy, and want to make a 25% profit.
    I suppose if you don't do your homework you can believe the hype. But with all the property records available online including sales for the last few years, it certainly paints a different picture.
    Thanks also for the help with the soil types, and also noted that a lot of properties in the area have serious water and drainage issues, enough that many require the purchase of flood insurance.