The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I need advice about a trailer

There's a trailer I want to buy but the DH is not on board with this. I have an older 3 horse slant with a good sized tack room (BP) that is a pretty good trailer but it's definitely showing its age with rust and other issues. There's a trailer I spotted on Horse Trailer World that is almost exactly what I want. It's a 2 horse straight, gooseneck with a small living quarters at a very reasonable price. It would be perfect for me when going to horse trials by myself or to go trail riding. We do have a bigger gooseneck trailer that is about 26' on the deck and LQ that I usually take to shows but I hate driving it. It's big and bulky and I just don't enjoy traveling with it.

DH is against me getting the 2 horse because we do pony horses out on trail quite a bit and having the extra room makes sense. However, quite a few years ago I bought a 2 horse trailer just so I'd have something small to take off with instead of taking the 4 horse we had at the time. Now that I have the 3 horse, it's not as easy. However, it is my trailer, not ours. I pay the insurance, the registration, I bought it, so feel I can do with it as I please at the expense of pissing off the husband.

I really want this little trailer but am torn. I need some advice and someone to tell me what to do. Sorry this turned into a book. Thanks.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Life is short.....enjoy it with the trailer of your dreams!

Are you selling the 3-horse? If so, go for it. Personally, if it were my trailer and my money, I'd do whatever I wanted -- unless I/we really couldn't afford it. If it's going to affect paying your bills or dig into your savings or something, I'd wait.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Yes, I would sell the 3 horse to fund the purchase, however, the dealer that has the 2 horse does take trade-ins so might be able to make a deal. The trailer I'm looking at is also older (1979) but looks to be in very good shape - new floor, minimal (if any) rust, new brakes, etc. Pound for pound, they are worth about the same. See here:

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/hom....asp?ID=421325
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

What breed of horses do you have? That trailer is only 6'6" which is rather short. I personally wouldn't buy anything under 7' tall which is what I have now for my 15.1 hand horse.

I would also want a thorough check of the axles, roof for leaks, etc as that trailer has some considerable age and wear and tear on it.

I would be worried about the hidden costs in a trailer that old, vs. knowing the condition of the trailer you have. I wouldn't buy a 6'6" roof height though, either--limits the horses I can haul too much.

As an example, I bought a trailer for $900 last summer. Steel two horse with no walk-in tack room and a one piece fiberglass roof. I knew it needed some work, but I ended up putting $1100+ into it: 4 new tires (after the independent mechanic told me they were ok) bearings, wiring, new hitch, new jack, added a breakaway break, took care of some rust issues, a new light. My wood floor had already been replaced at one point and was in good shape as were the matts and stall padding. This trailer was a 1998. The good news for me is I've seen similar trailers to mine sell for close to $3,000. But I can only imagine a trailer from the 1970's would need more--and it is larger so more materials.

I would also be worried about the axles and frame/cross braces.

Sorry to be so negative.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

All good points to consider so no worries about being negative, good to hear honest opinions. Yes, the height thing was something I was thinking about. Although my horses are smaller - 14.2 and 15.1 - I do like the additional head room a 7' offers, which is what my 3 horse is now. I think I'll keep looking. Thanks all for your opinions.

That's a mighty small horse compartment and the front is very dark. I'd be worried about ventilation to the horses as well - all the airflow is in the back.

As for the husband... I would take the time to talk it out with him and get him on board and to listen to his objections. If he uses the trailer or is a party to using the trailer, and you'd sell the one you have, I think it's only fair for him to have a say. I sense your urgency in Getting This Trailer Right Now Before It's Gone but I think that there's value in consensus as well.

Hopefully two minds together will help you find the perfect trailer.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    All good points to consider so no worries about being negative, good to hear honest opinions. Yes, the height thing was something I was thinking about. Although my horses are smaller - 14.2 and 15.1 - I do like the additional head room a 7' offers, which is what my 3 horse is now. I think I'll keep looking. Thanks all for your opinions.
    I think you made a wise choice. Long term, I always think that it's better to be on the same page as your SO/DH about major purchases, even if they will be paid for separately - to me it is a respect issue. Better to find something that you both like and enjoy!

To your point, though, I understand about wanting to downsize a bit and get something smaller and easier to manage. I sold my 2+1 gooseneck last year even though it was a fabulous trailer to work off of; when hitched up with my F250 that rig was nearly 46' long and not the easiest to maneuver in tight spots or on windy back roads. I do miss having a trailer and will eventually replace it with a smaller 2H BP, when the right one comes along.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina