The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Moving to Saratoga soon...any recommendations?

My DH is taking a new job up there & the kids & I (+ my horse) will be coming up after the school year ends. I'm looking to board somewhere with good hacking but also an indoor. Any ideas? Also are there any nearby OTTB rescue groups? Or are these done more on a private basis? Any help would be appreciated. We are looking forward to living in this neat, little town. Thanks!

The Adirondaks are a BEAUTIFUL location to go hacking with lots of trails. Lake Placid does an amazing series of horse shows.
    Nothing is as good for the inside of a man as the outside of a horse. Sir Winston Churchill.

A little more on what you want/need would be helpful. TONS of facilities in the area, some good, some not so much. Lots of good show circuits (Lake Placid, as mentioned, VT, HITS). Lessons? Training? Turnout? Quality more important than big egos?

Welcome to our little corner of the world!

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Was just there last night with a bunch of other like-minded - and rode/boarded there eons ago, and now live a bit far.

I'll e-mail a resident friend, and pass along your query. Yes, more details would help!

No big "official" OTTB rescue groups right there that I'm familiar with, probably more word-of-mouth. The Saratoga TB racing season is only end of July - Labor Day, with works beginning in the spring, and over in the fall. When horses leave there, they often return to Belmont/Aqueduct, or sometimes to Finger Lakes, or, back to KY, MD, CA, etc., etc.

Finger Lakes has a Thoroughbred adoption program - .http://www.fingerlakestap.org/, and there are also trainer listings, http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/. And these are often discussed here! http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-call!/page103

Am involved in a couple pro OTTB activities/shows. The activities around Saratoga also usually dovetail with others in the Capital District.

Congrats, and welcome!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Oh you lucky girl! Will PM you!
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY