The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I think you forgot something very important....pictures!!!!

E4L, your posts make me smile. I've been fostering and owning dogs for so long that I sometimes forget that new dog excitement. You reminded me of how nervous and excited I was when I met, applied for and went to pick up my very first "own" dog at the pound. He was listed as urgent on the website and I was over 700 miles away on vacation, headed back the next day. I must have called animal control five times between the two flights and four and a half hour drive ("I'm coming for him, I'm on my way!"). Then when it was time to return to animal control to complete the paper work, I drove SO fast.... My hand was shaking while writing the check, just so excited! Then when I got him home, that quiet, tentative getting to know you stage.... And buying collars and bowls... What a wonderful time that was. enjoy these moments!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I keep a trailer tie snapped into a permanent area in my car. When I transport rescue dogs I clip them in with the trailer tie and keep their leash on them. When it's time for them to get out, I hold the leash and unclip the trailer tie. It works well - keeps the dogs out from underfoot while driving and secure in the case of an accident.

StG

I have a trailer tie in my car too. And various sizes of martingale collars so they can't back out of the collar.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Ooh, that's a great idea! I have crates in the back of my van, so my dogs aren't loose but need to work on the "wait" command while I hook up leashes. Always makes me nervous when the kids are taking dogs out of the van. But a trailer tie is a great idea for those who can't have crates!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

OO thanks StG, the trailer tie is a great (and affordable!) idea. I have been thinking about a crate, but she really doesn't seem to need one for the apt. I seriously could not ask for a better dog. She is perfectly happy on her own for a few hours (longest has been 3ish so far) though I have been taking her out directly before. She always greets me at the door when I come home, which is so nice! I don't really want to invest in a crate just for the car if she doesn't need it for the apt. She is really patient too so far; she hasn't tried to jump out before I grab her leash. I could see her doing it if she sees something to chase though.

What is a good source for martingale collars? I have looked in petco and smart but haven't seen them, or are they called something else?

Thats such a great story about your first dog, bits. I still can't really believe I have mine, this day has been such a long time coming!!! :-D :-D
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Here's a martingale collar at Petsmart. You do have to make sure you have the right size and adjust it correctly. I don't leave them on all the time, but I do use them for walks.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11330028
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

We have been using Orvis' martingale collar on our dogs for several years. Having our phone number on the collars has proved its worth on a couple of occasions when one of our guys went walkabout. http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=0l7t
    Best of luck with your new companion dog.. one of our most beloved dogs was adopted from Petsmart - a black lab/GSD mix.. one in a million.

Get her very comfortable in a crate everywhere. I've had dogs with back issues, that required 4 weeks of crate rest. TPLO surgery requires crate rest. It's good training for her, even if you don't need it now, prepare in case youdo.

I agree that crate training is always a good idea because when you do need it, it will work for you -- traveling, if you go to a dog show or hunt test, if friends visit and you want your dog contained.

For now you can just feed your dog in a crate (even with the door open if your dog is nervous about it) so that the crate always = something good.

My dogs have all been crate trained at home, and we have used crates in varying way. But my 3rd (youngest) dog is the best at being crated elsewhere - at dog shows, hotels, and even when I helped my kids' 4H club with obedience (they ran 2 sessions, and I stayed for both so the dog went in the crate for the 2nd session). It's such a treat to be able to stash them somewhere they feel safe (and they are safe) so you can do other things.

We don't use the crate at home much at all, but early training with him has helped him adapt. He can sleep in a crate anywhere.

ahem..cough,cough......PICTURES????????

LOL...anxious to see the one who has brought you so much joy!!!
    please share!

I will work on the crate training. I know she has at least been in a crate before (she was in one when I saw her at the fair), but I can see why its important she is comfortable in one. I'm not going to worry about it right now though because I want her to get used to our "routine" before I change introduce lots of new things. I do the basics with her a few times a day which she already knows - sit, stay, lie down, come. Dog park was empty earlier so we ran around in that & she came very nicely.

Finally, here are some PICS!:

(they are facebook links but they are open to everyone)

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...35277453_n.jpg probably my favourite so far!

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...13766706_n.jpg this one is nice too - on the beach!

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...16205293_n.jpg it took her a few days to start on her bone!

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...72433175_n.jpg rub my belly please

....and so ends my first weekend with Belle!
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Ahh she looks sweet! How fun to have a new friend! Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...16205293_n.jpg it took her a few days to start on her bone!
    This one is my favorite! She's beautiful!

What a pretty girl you have!!

Oh my gosh, she is SOOOOO cute!!!! She looks a lot like my father's lab mix in the first picture (who is the bestest dog ever, so a great dog to resemble ). Sounds like you're having tons of fun with her, I'm so happy for you both!
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

aww...thanks for the pics.............she looks much like MY first OWN dog, meggie.............when i finally realized ,hey, i'm out on my own , i CAN have a dog without asking permission!

labs and labX are great for first timers because they are so laid back and ADORE their people..............enjoy,enjoy,enjoy!!!

lucky you, and lucky belle!

Adorable! Congratulations!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Thanks so much for the comments everyone, I am crazy about her :-D. I'm glad to hear so many reports of awesome lab mixes too....funnily enough they were not even on my radar for potential breeds until I met her. Goes to show you choose the dog and not the breed. I absolutely could not have asked for or hoped for a better "first time" dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Thanks so much for the comments everyone, I am crazy about her :-D. I'm glad to hear so many reports of awesome lab mixes too....funnily enough they were not even on my radar for potential breeds until I met her. Goes to show you choose the dog and not the breed. I absolutely could not have asked for or hoped for a better "first time" dog!
    I'm so happy for you. I've got a grin on my face reading this. It's coming up on a year since I found my own first time dog - and he also wasn't a breed I would have selected, but he is perfect!