The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Doggie daycare!

I am a volunteer with a local no kill shelter that has no actual building but instead relies 100% on fosters. I originally was supposed to foster a dog who was in a domestic situation for lack of a better term. It would be unkind to post details so I will leave it at that. There are actually two dogs in the home. Long story short, we decided to give the family a chance to get their domestic issues sorted out with the hopes of staying in their home forever.

So, I am giving them one month of doggie daycare! They will arrive tomorrow at 7:15 and leave around 5:30 each week day. I don't have the luxury of a staff but do have a suitable facility in my home. They are going to have to become more or less part of the family, or get stuck in a crate when no one is home so I would appreciate jingles that this particular alternative works out. They are both border collie mixes. I am very hopeful that this is the answer that allows the family to stay together yet get the non- dog related help they desperately need.

So far, so good! The two foster dogs and my two dogs were all in bed with my daughter when we left to go to the Dr. Hopefully this buys them the time they need to get things in order at home.

2 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Aw, good for you! I really hope there comes a time in my life that I'll be able to give back to rescues. You guys do such awesome work & I really hope the family of these two dogs is able to take them back permanently. You are doing such an amazing thing for them by giving them a second chance to make things work so they can keep their dogs.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

My daughter who is 21 so definitely not a child has already fallen in love and wants to keep them! With my two, this house is too small to have four dogs permanently. Not to mention our home owner's association won't allow more than two dogs. Their owner really does love them and takes great care of them so it definitely isn't a humane issue so I too hope they can go home permanently.

Laurierace, you certainly are earning more stars in your crown. What a generous thing for you to do. I hope this works to the benefit of all involved.

Great idea! I always wonder why more rescues don't try to keep dogs in families (those that want to keep them, obviously) instead of "rescuing" them and then pouring money into an expensive surgery, etc.

Day two just began and one of them definitely has gas! I keep smelling a horrid smell and looking around for poop and not finding any. The larger of the two dogs has a bark that could wake the dead and takes great joy in using it but thankfully settles down quickly. He ran right upstairs and whined at my daughter's bedroom door this morning so he could snuggle in her bed. Their owner reported that they were very tired last night. I always say a good dog is a tired dog, especially border collies so I guess I got that part right.

Well, the bigger dog found out he is stronger than the weakest spot in the fence! He just plowed right through it and off he went. Luckily I have established myself and being the treat lady so I was able to catch him after a few minutes. That portion of the fence now rivals Fort Knox so hopefully he is done with those antics.