The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2005
    Location
    between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,936

    Default I'm picking up a dog tomorrow!!!!!! & PICS post 32

    I'm so so so excited guys! Finally, after quite a few posts on here, far too much waiting, and many in depth conversations with my parents, friends, etc I'm picking up MY DOG tomorrow!!!! I found her at an adoption fair last weekend and it was great because her foster mom was there so I was able to chat at length with her too. I live in an apartment so I've been very open about my situation to adoption agencies etc because I know it is not appropriate for all dogs. Anyway, application and been gone over, signed and sealed & fee has been paid and she's mineeee :-D :-D. Dog in question is a black lab mix, medium sized, ~3 years old. Very laid back, not crazy about other dogs, loves her "person" and got turned in because she was pretty much left out on someone's porch for 6 months and, of course, destroyed it. But she's been doing great in her foster home so I am so so so excited!!!

    Anyway...finally to the point. Advice and tips? I've gone over all this with the agency & her foster mom, but would love stories/reassurances/warnings or anything else you think I need to know!
    Last edited by Event4Life; Mar. 3, 2013 at 06:52 PM.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey


    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar. 4, 2010
    Posts
    1,208

    Default

    Congratulations! May you bring each other joy.

    StG


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr. 1, 2008
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Anyway...finally to the point. Advice and tips? I've gone over all this with the agency & her foster mom, but would love stories/reassurances/warnings or anything else you think I need to know!
    Oh good for you! I hope she simply buries herself in your heart.

    Look into reward based training.

    Don't overdo the socialization if she isn't keen on other dogs. Let her have a few select friends and be happy with that.

    Look at classes, but don't commit until you have gotten to watch a few of them. Compare, each instructor, look at the dogs in class and if possible interview the instructor in regards to their handling of apprehensive or reluctant dogs.

    Try to get her a CGC. Your landlord will like that and it won't hurt with insurnance companies.

    Find a vet and become a "regular" so that when/if you have an emergency, they already know you

    Think about dog sports, there are options and options.

    oh...and one more thing....give her a cookie from me & mine.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    8,537

    Default

    Don't expect her to totally bond with you immediately, because she has to realize that she's in her forever home. Once she realizes you're her person, you won't believe the joy she'll show. Congratulations!
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2005
    Location
    between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    Oh good for you! I hope she simply buries herself in your heart.

    Look into reward based training.

    Don't overdo the socialization if she isn't keen on other dogs. Let her have a few select friends and be happy with that.

    Look at classes, but don't commit until you have gotten to watch a few of them. Compare, each instructor, look at the dogs in class and if possible interview the instructor in regards to their handling of apprehensive or reluctant dogs.

    Try to get her a CGC. Your landlord will like that and it won't hurt with insurnance companies.

    Find a vet and become a "regular" so that when/if you have an emergency, they already know you

    Think about dog sports, there are options and options.

    oh...and one more thing....give her a cookie from me & mine.
    Thanks for the advice! I was thinking about classes today while wondering around petsmart. Not sure I'm crazy about their classes though because the area seems tiny and surrounded by distractions. I'm definitely not going to overdo the socialization. She will have at least one friend if they get along because the family I tutor for has a dog. We are already arranging to let the dogs meet probably at the beach so my girl can hang out while I tutor if they get along well.

    I've had a few vet recs from friends so am looking into those. Am also thinking about dog sports - I've always loved the idea of agility but not sure if this girl is high energy enough for it. Like I said, she is very laid back.

    At the risk of sounding clueless, what is a CGC?

    I will pass along the cookie - I'm going to bring some treats with me when I go pick her up :-D.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar. 26, 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,855

    Default

    CONGRATS!!! That is so very exciting! I love labs (but then again, who doesn't?).

    Dogs don't need to be high energy to do agility. I do agility training with my Cavalier and he's great at it! Admittedly, we just do it in the backyard for fun and haven't gone to any competitions, but it's great fun and a good activity for both of us.

    You'll have to post pictures of your new friend!
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"


    1 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr. 1, 2008
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    CGC = Canine Good Citizen. It's a short series of tests that show your dog to be stable and well mannered.

    if agility isn't in your future, think about Rally. I know quite a few people who participate in rally as it's slower, and can be done on lead.

    PetsMart can be hit or miss with the instructors as well. Some are good, some not so much.

    Remember YOU can do training yourself as well. Look at Sue Ailsby's Training Levels, which is a self paced program. If you make it through the levels your dog will be 4 weeks from ready for any dog sport.

    Since she's a Lab, look into local hunt clubs as well. There are hunt clubs in my area that accept crosses and non traditional dogs (Border Collies and I saw one Jack Russell).


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr. 1, 2008
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    or don't do any sport. There is no requirement to do anything other than make sure your dog gets attention from you and some basic training that makes her easy to take out in public when necessary.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2005
    Location
    between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,936

    Default

    Thanks so much everyone. I have no idea how I'm going to sleep tonight, I'm far too excited...and refraining myself from putting exclamation marks at the end of sentences! LOL.

    Ah, Canine Good Citizen I have heard of, I just was not familiar with the abbreviation. I will check into that, and to Sue Ailsby's Training Levels. We always did our own training with dogs I had growing up & were quite successful so I think I could do something like that as well as Canine Good Citizen.

    What would I do at a hunt club? Another source for training?
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct. 9, 2012
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    506

    Default

    How exciting! Congrats on your new companion!



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr. 1, 2008
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    What would I do at a hunt club? Another source for training?
    Hunt clubs do field training. They do upland (field), water retrieveing and blind retrieves.

    it is field work, which being a Labby Girl, she might really enjoy. The club my friend is a member of is very relaxed and laid back, welcoming outside-the-box breeds too. But most are Labs, a scattering of Goldens, one Standard Poodle, the BC and the JRT.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2010
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    oooooooooo...congrats!.......nd thanks for adopting a black dog...they are always the last to be adopted..........
    i had black labs and labx's for 25 yrs, they are wonderful buddies............did you name her yet?.........
    o,it's so exciting, you will be over the moon with happiness



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2005
    Location
    between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    Hunt clubs do field training. They do upland (field), water retrieveing and blind retrieves.

    it is field work, which being a Labby Girl, she might really enjoy. The club my friend is a member of is very relaxed and laid back, welcoming outside-the-box breeds too. But most are Labs, a scattering of Goldens, one Standard Poodle, the BC and the JRT.
    Funnily enough I hadn't even thought of this but sounds like something we may both enjoy!

    tallyho - I had no idea about black dogs, the puppy we adopted when I was way younger was black, and the dog I grew up with in my teens was mostly black (just tips of ears & legs red & white on his face).

    I actually just decided on a name on my way home from Target (to buy dog biscuits!). I think she is going to be Belle. We shall see though!

    Also, any recommendations for insurance?
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey


    1 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar. 7, 2001
    Location
    va
    Posts
    1,000

    Default

    This is very exciting! Congratulations!!!



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2005
    Location
    between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,936

    Default

    So, I've had Belle for nearly 12 hours....and so far so good! First impressions are that she is extremely intelligent. She sits, stays, lies down, shakes, and comes when she is called (clearly responding to tone of voice rather than her actual name, because I changed it). She has reacted to new situations far better than I expected judging by how she was at the adoption fair. She was only a little nervous at the beach, mainly because the waves were extremely loud but she walked on the leash really well. She sort of gets "heel" but really barely pulls. She did well when we passed other dogs too, though we definitely kept our distance and I'm glad I had my short leash rather than the flexi one I was given. She's settled really well overall, took a nap with me this afternoon (I was exhausted having been awake since 5AM due to excitement!). I went out for about an hour and left her alone which she didn't seem bothered by at all though she was excited to see me when I got home.

    I'm looking forward to the future and definitely planning on either Agility or Rally with her - she's smart and I think she'll love the challenge!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul. 28, 2004
    Location
    ...right where I want to be
    Posts
    1,623

    Default

    Congrats on your new girl! May you have many wonderful years together.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr. 1, 2008
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    So, I've had Belle for nearly 12 hours....and so far so good!
    I'm so happy for you. And Belle. Keep us updated please!



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2000
    Location
    Full time in Delhi, NY!
    Posts
    6,394

    Default

    Congratulations on your wonderful new dog!

    May I offer just a little piece of advice based on the number of "LOST DOG! PLEASE HELP!" covering my Facebook wall everyday?

    Belle needs time to bond with you, and you may not realize it, but she is stressed. It's wonderful that you are taking her places, but please, please, please either crate her in the car, or seatbelt her in with a harness and be sure you have a leash on her BEFORE YOU RELEASE THE SEATBELT OR OPEN THE CRATE DOOR COMPLETELY. In fact consider leaving the leash on during the trip. So many ads say, "while being transported [dog] bolted/escaped/jumped from the car while at a gas station/truck stop/restaurant." These dogs don't know they're being rescued. They don't know they're going to or are in their forever homes.

    So keep leash on Miss Belle until your invisible leash is created. Looking forward to the pictures!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

    "Life is merrier with a terrier!"


    2 members found this post helpful.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec. 18, 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    4,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    please, please, please either crate her in the car, or seatbelt her in with a harness and be sure you have a leash on her BEFORE YOU RELEASE THE SEATBELT OR OPEN THE CRATE DOOR COMPLETELY. In fact consider leaving the leash on during the trip. So many ads say, "while being transported [dog] bolted/escaped/jumped from the car while at a gas station/truck stop/restaurant." These dogs don't know they're being rescued. They don't know they're going to or are in their forever homes.

    So keep leash on Miss Belle until your invisible leash is created. Looking forward to the pictures!
    This is great advice ALWAYS! My biggest fear is losing my dog during transport somewhere because they will be lost immediately - I hope they would come back but even if they just get turned around it could be tragic.

    I also second the advice on just taking your time - she may not be ready for any class for a while. Let her just be "your dog" before you place very high expectations on her for behavior with strangers, other dogs and new rules.

    You can use reward training at home without a trainer or class. Lots and lots of praise and love is what she needs now; then start setting real expectations. (Of course don't allow horrible behavior, but don't start make her learn sit/stay in a class - too soon!)

    I've never had pet insurance so I can't help, but call your vet and ask how it works so you can decide if it's worth it - they will know what is covered and what is not.

    Congratulations!!!



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2005
    Location
    between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    Congratulations on your wonderful new dog!

    May I offer just a little piece of advice based on the number of "LOST DOG! PLEASE HELP!" covering my Facebook wall everyday?

    Belle needs time to bond with you, and you may not realize it, but she is stressed. It's wonderful that you are taking her places, but please, please, please either crate her in the car, or seatbelt her in with a harness and be sure you have a leash on her BEFORE YOU RELEASE THE SEATBELT OR OPEN THE CRATE DOOR COMPLETELY. In fact consider leaving the leash on during the trip. So many ads say, "while being transported [dog] bolted/escaped/jumped from the car while at a gas station/truck stop/restaurant." These dogs don't know they're being rescued. They don't know they're going to or are in their forever homes.

    So keep leash on Miss Belle until your invisible leash is created. Looking forward to the pictures!
    I have not figured out how to contain her in the car yet (she is actually very good and pretty much stays put), but she does keep her leash on at all times except in the house. I'll look into harnesses. I'm incredibly scared of not having a call back and am under no delusions that she would come if she somehow got loose in the open! Hopefully that time will come, but I know it is not now.

    And don't worry, we are not jumping into any classes, but I am considering our options.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey



Similar Threads

  1. Picking a trainer?
    By Ready To Riot in forum Eventing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Jul. 24, 2012, 06:43 PM
  2. Picking Poo
    By Eleanor in forum Off Course
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Feb. 6, 2012, 06:45 PM
  3. so exited...picking up my new mare tomorrow!
    By eclipse in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Jun. 14, 2011, 02:24 PM
  4. Anyone want to help with picking a name?
    By Cindy's Warmbloods in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Nov. 22, 2010, 05:58 PM
  5. Help picking out a name?
    By dmalbone in forum Off Course
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Mar. 26, 2010, 10:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness