The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pre Made Barn Doors

Anyone buy pre made barn doors? I've gotten a couple of quotes, Triton and Classic Equine but would like a couple of more before I bite. Trying not to spend a small fortune. I realize we could probably make them ourselves much cheaper but they would never get done. So I'm really forced to spend the $$ and get some pre made.

js is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster

I take it from the number of looks but no replies that no one has done a barn remodel?

I see the two other threads that other's posted got no replies either.

Which barn doors are you asking about? Stall doors? Large sliders for outside? Dutch doors?

Barn #1 we built the end and dutch doors ourselves and bought the stall screen doors (interior) from Lucas.

Barn #2 we are getting quotes on interior sliding, exterior dutch and end doors. Will probably end up doing the ends ourselves again and buying the others from Lucas

Don't get me wrong, I like the doors we have in #1 but they weren't the easiest to build/hang so trying to go an easier route this time

1 members found this post helpful.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Which barn doors are you asking about? Stall doors? Large sliders for outside? Dutch doors?

Exterior doors for the entry way, large sliders.

I would have recommended Woodstar, but all their stuff we have rotted in a few years.

Try a local carpenter. Doors aren't much but 2x6 wood and plywood.

Ditto on woodstar, the doors fall apart.
    frey brothers in pa are great, comparable in quality to Lucas and classic, much cheaper.

I got ginormous galvanized end doors from Lucas. They cost a mint, but they're sweet slidin' perfection. The nylon rollers are key.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

OP, my contractor built the large exterior sliders on our barn reno. Total lumber cost was a little under $600. The labor cost for the doors was not itemized, but I can say they were built and hung in one day. I'm very happy with them, the wood doors with battens blend in well with the rest of the old barn (>110 y/o). (Well they will once it's all painted this spring when weather permits. Right now it's a veritable riot of wood colors since we salvaged barn wood from multiple sources, the doors and battens are new lumber, etc. LOL.)

ETA: We put up a pair of 6ft wide x12ft tall doors to cover the large center doorway, and one roughly 8x8ft for a side door.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

Thumbs up Frey Bros

Quote Originally Posted by FairWeather View Post
    Ditto on woodstar, the doors fall apart.
    frey brothers in pa are great, comparable in quality to Lucas and classic, much cheaper.
    We used Frey Bros doors. Love them. They've been up 10+ years and are still wonderfulhttp://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Maybe Morton Barns does doors only?

The caution about those is that the interior of the door is exposed plywood and the cats I know love to use that as their nail file. Also, I have seen these leak of the point where the window meets the wood. Nothing a bead of silicone couldn't fix though.

Original Poster

For those that bought doors (like Lucas etc) may I ask how much the cost was and were they complete or did you still have to provide the lumber, and assemble them yourself? Maybe I'm being unrealistic but $3,500-4,000 for two sliding doors and track and I have to buy the wood, cut it and then assemble the door myself? I was willing to pay that for the doors had they been complete and assembled but no way will I pay for just the steel channel and the track. Guess I will look local for someone to make them for me.

Default Pre Made Barn doors

I have made 9 Sliding doors in the past 2 years. 5 were for stalls sliders 2x6 frame with plywood in the opening on bottom and a welded wire 4x4 grate for top. Doors are half lap construction and as far as I recall they were less than $100 each. Hard part is half lap at corners and middle would have been nice to have Norm Abrams shop but a radial arm saw is the ticket to these. The others are the main entry doors for our indoor arena one set is 2x6 with plywood inserts very heavy and the are warping to a certian extent other set is 5/4x6 decking boards laminated to help prevent warping a little lighter but structurally very sound. Arena doors took two days to build by myself; stall doors one day each. I would now prefer to build my own over buying premade as I can get exactly what I want and need over somebody elses idea of that.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

I like Richards-Wilcox sliding door hardware for big sliders. I wouldn't bother using the stuff sold at farm supply stores like TSC.

http://www.rwhardware.com/HardwareCatalog.pdf

When I added the four stall doors in '07, I had a barn supplier supply the doors and hardware(sliding square track and rollers). I had to hang the track and doors, but the cost was $250 per door. Each door has a metal grill in the upper half. In the meantime I built the four 10x10 barn doors for the new barn, the two 10x6's for the old barn and the two 12x6's for the old barn. The National hardware I really like for a door hanger is the 5030: http://www.natman.com/prodinfo_itemd...1153&item=4972
    This simple hanger allows you to adjust the height, plus in and out of the door with the offset hanger. You do need to build a door with a 2x6 top rail, with the bottom of the rail accessible so you can access and adjust the door rod nuts and lock washer. But it is much, much easier to install and work with than models like the 5040 series. Most decent lumber yards stock or can order National Hardware, including the square rails and the latchsets, etc. Door design: see saxoncrusader. He/she has described the kind of door I built to work with the 5030 series hangers. Cost is about right too: about $100 worth of 2x6 and halflap pine for each door, plus ss wood screws and exterior wood glue to put them together.

Quote Originally Posted by saxoncrusader View Post
    I have made 9 Sliding doors in the past 2 years. 5 were for stalls sliders 2x6 frame with plywood in the opening on bottom and a welded wire 4x4 grate for top. Doors are half lap construction and as far as I recall they were less than $100 each. Hard part is half lap at corners and middle would have been nice to have Norm Abrams shop but a radial arm saw is the ticket to these. The others are the main entry doors for our indoor arena one set is 2x6 with plywood inserts very heavy and the are warping to a certian extent other set is 5/4x6 decking boards laminated to help prevent warping a little lighter but structurally very sound. Arena doors took two days to build by myself; stall doors one day each. I would now prefer to build my own over buying premade as I can get exactly what I want and need over somebody elses idea of that.
    Can you tell me what you used to attach the wire mesh? I'm getting ready to build my stall doors in a few weeks. I am thinking I'd use nail staples to attach the wire panel to the 2x6 door frame facing the outside of stall, and then nail a 1x2 frame over that, to cover up the edges of the panel. Did you do anything different?
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

We bought pre-made doors - however, we did overhead doors rather than sliders. Every day when I walk out and push the button to make them open, I love them more I particularly love them in the winter - but since you're in the deep south, that might not be a concern for you.