The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stirrup leathers to match a brown Thorowgood T8?

Finally found a saddle that fits my horse like a glove! Yay! But now I need fittings. I live in a tack store devoid area so need to order online, but its hard to tell what the real color is in pictures. Can anyone help me that has one of these saddles or familiar with them? I thought about the Thorowgood "leathers" but I'd prefer real leather if possible. Thanks!
    Team Ginger

I'm 99% sure Gary Mundy can dye leathers to match if he doesn't have the right colour in stock - just do a search on here for his name and you'll get his info and lots of posts from people who love his work!

can you tell me what mode t8 you got? and how do you like it? and how is the brown...do you like it? currently circling the idea of ordering a t8 for myself....

I actually have a T8 high wither dressage and a T8 high wither GP, after 4 saddle fitters and much researching they were best fit for my gelding, the only thing better would possibly be a customized BC which was simply waaaay out of my budget.

I was reluctant to try the T8 dressage last summer, but once I did I loved it! I think so far 2 other people in my barn have bought them since I did, one got the T4 but it still looks much nicer than a Wintec.
    Its secure, but doesn't have big blocks which I like. I do wish they offered a high whither model of their jump saddle, not just a GP, but since I don't jump very high (under 3') and don't see us jumping higher than that for a while, its fine.

I foxed hunted in the GP this past weekend, and when the weather first got warmer and we hacked outside he did some pretty impressive airs above the ground moves and I felt secure, lol.

Both saddles are very comfy, easy to maintain, LIGHT but with substance. I think you get a lot of saddle for the money. And, I can put it on other TB type horses with withers and know I'm not harming them, which is nice.

*edited to add:
    I wasn't sure I was going to like the brown, but since all my jumping gear is already brown, and borrow looks better on my chestnut gelding, I went with it. I'm actually happier with the color than I expected. Its a pretty dark brown.
    Team Ginger

1 members found this post helpful.

Another vote for Gary Mundy. His leathers are top quality and he's very good at color matching.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

thank you for the input. I have a t6 dressage saddle...but would like to get something that i can learn to do low jumps in. after blowing through the kid's saddle budget and ending up with a kent and masters for him....i don't have the bucks to spend. i'd like to see one in person before i order one. will have to keep my eyes open. My horse is the opposite of yours...he's a 15.1 foundation qh...so the cob style tree with xwide gullet is his thing <g>

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Another vote for Gary Mundy. His leathers are top quality and he's very good at color matching.
    just got leathers from gary for the kid. they are gorgeous. i would not hesitate to order from him again...