The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Centaur fencing quote - is this a fair price?

Complete newbie to the fencing world - have always been blessed with horse properties that already had good fencing.

But, we are moving and need fencing immediately. So I am pricing out a 350" x 150" paddock to fence initially and I'm most interested in using Centaur fencing (so many great posts on this forum about it ). We want to use Cenflex as a top rail and three strands of White Lightning below. We were quoted $5.50/foot installed with posts every 10 feet, 4-5" round line posts and 5-6" round corner posts (sunk 2' and 3' respectively). This quote would cover everything except the actual gate that we would purchase and install.

Any insight would be most appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalJewel View Post
    Complete newbie to the fencing world - have always been blessed with horse properties that already had good fencing.

But, we are moving and need fencing immediately. So I am pricing out a 350" x 150" paddock to fence initially and I'm most interested in using Centaur fencing (so many great posts on this forum about it ). We want to use Cenflex as a top rail and three strands of White Lightning below. We were quoted $5.50/foot installed with posts every 10 feet, 4-5" round line posts and 5-6" round corner posts (sunk 2' and 3' respectively). This quote would cover everything except the actual gate that we would purchase and install.

Any insight would be most appreciated!
    How tall is your fence height (i.e. I get the line posts are two feet below ground but how much above)? Posts are a big expense. What kind are you using in the quote? Aound here it would be pressure treated pine, for example.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    How tall is your fence height (i.e. I get the line posts are two feet below ground but how much above)? Posts are a big expense. What kind are you using in the quote? Aound here it would be pressure treated pine, for example.
    The posts would be .40 pressure treated pine - line posts would be 7' and corner posts would be 8'. Fence height would be 52".

Dont know what part of the country you are located in, but does sound reasonable
    to me. Materials are probably around $3 a foot alone.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    Dont know what part of the country you are located in, but does sound reasonable
    to me. Materials are probably around $3 a foot alone.
    Thank you, Julie! We're moving to Alabama - not sure if costs are higher or lower in that part of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalJewel View Post
    Thank you, Julie! We're moving to Alabama - not sure if costs are higher or lower in that part of the country.
    Isn't that where all the Centaur ships from (manufactured in Alabama...I think?)? At least you won't have to pay to ship it like us unlucky souls in the other corner of the US! Good luck with the fencing; Centaur is good stuff.

Probably lower. Check with Circle 5 Outfitters....long time Centaur dealers and installers. Ask for Ann Jones. One of the top installers for Centaur. They are located in the Muscle Shoals area (Centaur is made there) and if you are too far,
    perhaps she can recommend someone locally.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com

Horsepoor, usually have to ask Washington/Oregon customers to sit down before I tell them the shipping. Sigh! If it makes you feel better, you should see the rates for Alaska. Sometimes more than the materials!
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com

Probably lower. Check with Circle 5 Outfitters....long time Centaur dealers and installers. Ask for Ann Jones. One of the top installers for Centaur. They are located in the Muscle Shoals area (Centaur is made there) and if you are too far,
    perhaps she can recommend someone locally.
    Thank you, Julie - really appreciate your help

We have install a similar product. Price per foot is what I paid per foot also.

Two great points

Save $$ on paint and othe maintance

Save $$$ on vet bills!

Horsepoor, usually have to ask Washington/Oregon customers to sit down before I tell them the shipping. Sigh! If it makes you feel better, you should see the rates for Alaska. Sometimes more than the materials!

But it IS good stuff, so worth every penny. We got ours several years ago so I suspect shipping wasn't quite as bad as now!

Thank you, Horsepoor, we think it is good stuff, too! My lack of vet bills related to fence injuries is practically nil and the one we did have was on a ratchet tensioner not installed where it should have been. We get the vet bills for things like EPM and colic....the occasional cut from who knows what is a blip.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com

I have Centaur and LOVE it!!! My suggestion to cut costs, is to but 4x4" from the lumber store as posts, but the centaur fencing and install it yourself. If I can do it in a weekend, you can do it! I had a larger area to fence with a lot of details and even electrified the whole thing. Trust me, it's easy and the worst part is putting the posts in the ground!
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

1 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I have a Centaur clone and 9 years down the road I still love it.
    Looks new and I have yet to have to retension anywhere (although there is one lower line I probably should...) along the 3ac of fencing.
    I've only had to replace one line after horses grazing through it finally managed to break it at the connection, but otherwise: Nada.

My fence is configured pretty much like yours: 2-wire top rail , chargeable coated wire below that and 2 more lines of coated non-hot.

My posts are set at 12' - this could save you some money.
    Maybe ask your installer if 12' will work for you.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

1 members found this post helpful.