The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How Often/High Do You Jump a Week?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1x/wk - 2'0"-2'6"

28 26.17%
  • 1x/wk - 2'9"-3'6"+

38 35.51%
  • 2x/wk - 2'0"-2'6"

21 19.63%
  • 2x/wk - 2'9"-3'6"+

22 20.56%
  • 3x/wk - 2'0"-2'6"

6 5.61%
  • 3x/wk - 2'9"-3'6"

3 2.80%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default How Often Do You Jump?

Just curious as to how many times and how high fellow owners and lessees of horses jump on a weekly basis...

It depends on how my guys are going, what we're working on, and if the ring is full of other riders at any given time. I like to have at least one good jump school a week on both of them (i.e. jumping courses and jumping bigger fences), but if that doesn't work out I'll sneak in a few jumps every other ride or so.

Both are quite green so the bulk of our work is on the flat, and the jumping simply gets incorporated into it unless I'm doing a longer jump school or having a lesson. I do my 15 year old anywhere from 2'3" up to 3'3" or so outside of lessons (where we jump higher), and my coming 5 year old does up to about 2'9" with me outside of lessons. I ride five days a week currently, although I'd rather do six- work doesn't make that possible!
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

This is coming from an eventer, so take it with a grain of salt. I jump 1x a week on my gelding and we jump usually 3'3 - 3'9.

With my younger guy who is a bit rushy to fences, I jump him 2x a week. Once for small stuff to just get him to calm and find his groove over 2' to 2'3. Then grids that are at most 3'3 but usually 2'6-2'9.

I flat or condition the rest of the week. Conditioning can include a log or two that have fallen on the trail or look fun to jump.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

9 year old: 2 days 2'-2'9" 1 day 2'-3'3", the rest of the days are flatting normally for just 30min, and 1 day off. He has one training ride a week on one of the days I hack lightly and if my trainer jumps him bigger then I don't hack.
    15 year old: 3 days under 2'3", 1 up to 2'6", 1 day flat, 2 days off.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I take 2 lessons/week over fences (just to 2'6") and one on the flat, plus a hack here and there when I have time. My half-lease horse usually also gets another 2'-2'6" lesson per week and a pro ride (generally on the flat because he's 16, though sometimes trainer sends him over a couple fences if he's had a bad week and needs a school).

6 year old, ridden 6 days a week. On a good week when we are listening well we do a normal jump school 1-2 times a week (Fences set 3'6" -4' have jumped him up to 1.40m through gymnastics) Flat days the other 4-5, may incorporate some low jumping (under 2'6) into flat work working on straightness, rhythm, and not grabbing the bit. I like to use the lower jumps to practice his turns as well. Depending on how he is being I may jump a few larger jumps 2-3 days in a row and keep the number of jumps low focusing more on quality. Mr. Cheekypants has lately decided anything under 3'6" is not and acceptable jump height. One of the many joys of a know it all baby!
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

I lesson 4-5 times a week with my 15 year old. We jump 2'6-2-9 almost every day. Sometimes 3 foot. We show 3'6 and will throw in a 3'6-3'9 course once in a while.

Are we talking per horse or per rider? I jump pretty much every day but on different horses anywhere from 2' to 4'+ depending on the horse. None of my horses jump more than 2 or 3 times per week. Some only jump at shows.

Quote Originally Posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post
    Are we talking per horse or per rider? I jump pretty much every day but on different horses anywhere from 2' to 4'+ depending on the horse. None of my horses jump more than 2 or 3 times per week. Some only jump at shows.
    I just did for my personal horse not my boss or clients horses
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

My differentiating factor is the time of year. And my short answer is, "as often as they need it." That means they get a lot more days without jumps in the winter. The babies get the winters off of jumping completely (for at least a couple of months if not more), and the older horses might get jumped a couple of times a week or every other week.

During the show season my "going" horses often jump 6-7 days a week. But I have my horses at home and jump by myself. So we might do 10 fences in a day. I usually do one "more serious" jumping session per week where we jump at height (and probably do closer to 20-25 jumps), but the other days are typically a lot easier.
    By horse:
    Big guy: 4'6"-5'3" 1-2x per week, 3'6"-4'3" 3-5x per week. Sometimes he gets a couple of warmup jumps (giant crossrails where the cups are set at the top of my 6' standards, but just as often we'll start with a 3'6" jump).
    Older mare: 3'6"-4' 1x per week or every other week, 3'-3'6" 2-3x per week. But in her peak (when we did the 1.40m) she jumped every single day in addition to two-a-day rides to keep her fit enough to hold up to the shows. She's now moving back down the levels as a very solid, sound 16yo.
    Youngster (5yo): 3'6"-4'3" 1x a week, giant crossrails and little verticals (3'-3'6") 1-2x a week.

I prefer jumping them over a handful of jumps frequently to jumping over a lot of jumps once or twice a week. But I have the setup for it and I'm almost entirely focused on how the horses jump (not what I'm doing....which isn't always the best for my riding! ). And because I don't do lessons, I don't have a trainer trying to get a point across in a finite set of time. In the weeks where I do clinics we don't typically jump other than at the clinic because I know we'll be doing a lot more jumps than at home.

2 members found this post helpful.

2x/wk every week 16"-18", occasional 20", hour lesson. Usually add 1-2 more days of 12 or so jumps, same heights. I've only been jumping 1.5 yrs. I didn't vote since I'm below the minimum. Hoping to get comfortable to show at 2' by the end of this summer.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    I prefer jumping them over a handful of jumps frequently to jumping over a lot of jumps once or twice a week.
    ^this

It depends on the horse and the height varies depending on the level and experience, but I'd rather jump a few jumps a day and improve on a specific component then jump around a course 15 times in one day one time a week.

First of all, I think if you work on specific components you learn the steps better/faster and find it easier to put it altogether over an entire course, second I think the horse learns how to handle entire courses better for the exact same reason, and I think that gradually working up to a physical task and keeping it as part of the daily work routine makes for a fitter horse come show day. The exception to this is, of course the fit seasoned campaigner who knows his job. Then you are just annoying them by trying to teach them.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

1 members found this post helpful.

At my old barn I could only jump if I was taking a lesson, so once or twice a week during show season. At my new barn I can jump without a trainer but I am the only one who jumps, which means I have the pleasure of having to set up jumps and take them down if I want to school over fences. Because of that I jump my mare maybe once a week. She knows her job though, and when it comes time to show I'll jump a little more often. I do school her on the flat and take her on long trail rides to keep her in shape, and taking her out of the arena helps her mind too.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

Good question. Answer- hard to say. My horse was out of commission-6 weeks stall rest and then slowly getting back to work. We are finally back to full work on the flat. I usually just do stuff on the flat and then pop her over a few itty bitty jumps toward the end. But we will be ramping things up as show season is a coming. So far the biggest we normally jump is 2'6 to 2'9 and most of the time it's not over 2'- 2'6. That suits us fine for now. I'm more of a jump a few every ride sort than spend lots of time just jumping.