The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cats and Catnip: Junkie or Teetotaller?

My current cat likes to get high.

Others I have owned have seem impervious to it. Maybe it was a moral thing. Maybe they were getting high and just "held their catnip well." Maybe they are biologically stunted, unable to appreciate the finer things in life.

How does it work as your house? Do you see any downsides to Cat Drug Use? Or was Nancy Reagan full of sh!t?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Ummmm you must include video or it is you getting high not the cat....

Ya know... I have this friend that.....
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Some kitties just don't get high with catnip. Sad for them!

I have one who turns into a MEAN drunk and beats on the other cats.

It is hilarious

Old Lady Cat gets extremely violent on the 'nip and channels her inner African plains lion. To her, it's always a bad acid trip (or maybe it's a good acid trip and just bad for anyone who gets in her way). She will also mug me whenever I cook with olive oil (oleic acid is an enantiomer of the joy juice in catnip) and demands to be given a hit.

Little Man is either too young to be affected or is the type it doesn't work on. Which is too bad since I think he'd be pretty Wavy Gravy on the stuff.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    Ummmm you must include video or it is you getting high not the cat....

Ya know... I have this friend that.....
    I tried to join kitteh in her "indulgence" but it did nothing for me. Meanwhile, she was getting all lively and spitty.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Not a single one of my cats cares one way or another for catnip, although The Spotted Wonder things spilling it is fun but that is all the attention she pays to it; under spilling fun comes macaroni, rice, peas, kernel corn, cereal, anything that scatters, so no attraction beyond indulging her artistic fantasies. FWIW, 6 of the 7 cats are related so there is a genetic thing there as the great grandmother of Jack doesn't do catnip either.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by VaqueroToro View Post
    Old Lady Cat gets extremely violent on the 'nip and channels her inner African plains lion.... She will also mug me whenever I cook with olive oil (oleic acid is an enantiomer of the joy juice in catnip) and demands to be given a hit.

Little Man is either too young to be affected or is the type it doesn't work on. Which is too bad since I think he'd be pretty Wavy Gravy on the stuff.
    Interesting! I didn't know that about the oleic acid in olive oil being an enantiomer of the "joy juice" in catnip! That would explain why my Dad's cat would go nutz for olives.

My sister's cat would go nutzo for a bag of carrots! Reacts as if it was catnip. Give him the carrots without the bag...meh! Give him the bag and no carrots....meh!! Give him the bag WITH carrots...BINGO!!! The party starts!

Quote Originally Posted by Pippigirl View Post
    My sister's cat would go nutzo for a bag of carrots! Reacts as if it was catnip. Give him the carrots without the bag...meh! Give him the bag and no carrots....meh!! Give him the bag WITH carrots...BINGO!!! The party starts!
    'K, that's just weird. I can see that you guys have been very scientific about it, trying all possible variations to find the drug of choice.

How rowdy does the cat get?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Pippigirl View Post
    My cat does the same thing! She goes crazy over it and will bite and hiss at me if I try to take the bag away. She rolls all over it like it's catnip.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-4-12.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	37659
    Every one of them had that look of a girl infatuated with horses, the happy, fated look of a passenger setting sail on the Titanic.

one is a total crack head, the other two casual inhalers...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

MVP, you do come up with some great thread ideas! I have two junkies and two teetotalers. Funny, both boys are the junkies and both girls couldn't care less. And no cat in my current group cares for cat treats. At all. Just gave what I had left to the vet.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

1 members found this post helpful.

Bacon loves the stuff and, predictably, is a mean a** drunk. He seems to enjoy the heck out of the experience but the rest of the household inhabitants require body armor when he's been hitting the 'nip. Catching a jovially violent 20ish lb cat on the head when walking into the kitchen is distressing, FYI.

The other two enjoy it, but don't get as nasty. One of them does get sort of slutty though, which confuses the dog and alarms her "Dad" to no end. (My super manly heavily tattooed SO, who follows her around imploring her to stop coming on to the other cats, the dog, the dining room chairs, the toaster....)

Speaking of the dog- I knew that some dogs react somewhat to the stuff in nip, and while current dog has shown interest in the stuff, he's rather huge and has never had enough to really "react" (I'm assuming, based on what follows....). Last week he stole one of those compressed 'nip toys from the cat and ate the WHOLLLLLLLLE thing. He then got very, very high. As in laying akimbo on the bed staring at the ceiling. "Have you guys ever noticed how many ceiling tiles we have? There are sooooooo many ceiling tiles. Do we have any cheesy poofs?"
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

3 members found this post helpful.

My four all love, love, love the drug time! I don't give it to them often, but just the shake of the container and you'd think I was their Savior. Oddly enough, one of my dogs wants in on the action, too.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

My big dumb pretty guy likes it, but doesn't get especially crazy - he seems spend most of his 'nip time rolling around, luxuriating in the scent.

Which, coincidentally, has been very useful in keeping him from peeing on my mud collecting runner rug - sprinkle a little catnip on it, and it's a cool place to hang out, rather than a convenient new potty spot!

Oh - and my two addicts know what the word "catnip" means. That's all I have to say - "want some catnip?"
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

We can't have catnip in this house. It makes my old cat aggressive - he attacks the other cats and us.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    We can't have catnip in this house. It makes my old cat aggressive - he attacks the other cats and us.
    typical junky....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    MVP, you do come up with some great thread ideas! I have two junkies and two teetotalers. Funny, both boys are the junkies and both girls couldn't care less. And no cat in my current group cares for cat treats. At all. Just gave what I had left to the vet.
    Meh, the katz create the thread ideas. They have become the totem animal of the internetz. I think that's a great compliment.

Speaking of things at the vet. I recommend that you all bring some good drugs to the house of bad drugs/bad experiences.

More than one, when Catness had decided that she was just going to hunker down and endure the vet, when her mind was closed, it was pried open with treats. A catnip-yet-edible variety "broke her will" to be angry/a martyr once.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    Oh - and my two addicts know what the word "catnip" means. That's all I have to say - "want some catnip?"
    Similar events here. I keep my catnip bag-toys and loose stash in a tin. (Yeah, you pot heads, you know what I'm talkin' about.) Anywho, I drop it close to kitteh last night and think that I have scared her away. No! She's accept meteor landing next to her if the last time it landed, it had catnip in it.

They are sponges, I tell you, watching all the time. Only some of what we do is relevant.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I hope my new kitty will someday be a catnip-head

She's just about 6 months old now and just isn't into it. Not that she needs any help with crazy. She does that fine all on her own!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	squeee!.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	37665  
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~