The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question JRD Saddles

Hi I would like to hear some feedback about JRD dressage saddles. Good or bad! What type of rider/horse they tend to fit, quality, and comfort?

I ride a horse that came with a custom JRD. He changed and I contacted Mehrdad to find out if he could make any changes to the saddle. He pretty much remade it. New head, modified the flaps, rewebbed the seat, crowned the seat. He pretty much made it so I could ride the horse. The seat is pretty open, but that is what the horse and I need. Its rare that I think a horse and rider need a full custom saddle. In our case, I think we come close. I've had one fitter tell me that they couldn't fit him. I've had one say he could, but he couldn't. Mehrdad describes him as a 9.5 for fit difficulty. Then you add me in to the mix. Hips too narrow for the horse. Legs too short for the barrel. I'm pretty happy with what I got. He's not fast, He's not the best communicator. He's got his ideas about saddle fit. He makes the saddle that he think is the solution. I've watch him be right with every saddle he's made for the 6 horses in the barn that have JRD saddles. Only two of them are easy fit horses.

I have a student whose TWICE custom fitted (once by owner of company, once by rep) has rubbed her horse bald in two palm sized patches on Both sides of his back, under the rear portion of the panels. Terrible customer service after she sent photos and did not receive a prompt or helpful response. Saddle is going to be sold. We are several hours away from any one who can adjust air panels, and even after two adjustments, these were a terrible option.
    I have a friend, however, who loves hers.....

Well...I know several people that ride in them, and like them. I also see a lot, lot of them for sale in the Bay area. I have heard stories about the saddler being extremely difficult. As an offshoot, you might want to look into Revere Saddlery. One of his sons is the saddler, and I know the fitter pretty well----she is super, and super-sweet.

I Really like JRD saddles when I find them used on ebay for $1000 or less, and then I can haul them round until I find a horse to fit. I would never in a million years have one custom made - I've seen too many made-to-measure that just don't fit at all. plus. the business model is all wrong - you look at how many County reps, or how many Custom reps it takes to cover the whole country ... and then compare that with the one or two man saddle makers - with just him as the main guy, you know he's not going to be able to come out again to personally see that saddle out of the box and onto the horse - that's where we do all the fine-tuning and making sure it's right. IMHO.

i would say the saddle are made to last. they are well made. and they are lovely. it just depends on if you like the style and fit.

if you are local they are fairly easy to deal with. i would not really think a one man shop could take care of the entire US.

i would give the saddle a try and see what you think.

My experience with JRD was horrible. Mehrdad is a "poor communicator", meaning hard to get a hold of after he has your $$ and not very honest. Thank gawd my credit card company had my back. Others at my barn were not so lucky. 2 people never got their saddles to fit, after multiple refittings (sent to JRD at their cost), they were sold at a big loss.

I would avoid JRD. There are other saddlers who do a much better job for a lot less money and hassle.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nhwr View Post
    My experience with JRD was horrible. Mehrdad is a "poor communicator", meaning hard to get a hold of after he has your $$ and not very honest. Thank gawd my credit card company had my back. Others at my barn were not so lucky. 2 people never got their saddles to fit, after multiple refittings (sent to JRD at their cost), they were sold at a big loss.

I would avoid JRD. There are other saddlers who do a much better job for a lot less money and hassle.
    Yep. Biggest nightmare ever. Plus the one that arrived was a POS and terribly made. And didn't come anywhere near fitting the pony it was made for. Thank goodness I got my money back, several people I know weren't as lucky.

Most painful saddle I ever rode in (did not do my position any favors whatsoever). And heavy. I was thankful the pony it was custom-made for was only 14hh since I doubt I would've been able to heave that thing on anything larger.

As an alternative, you might try Sheryl D. Lemke saddlery. She makes beautiful, super-comfy saddles (both dressage and jump) and I believe is just coming out with a new line next month. She is mostly West Coast, but she is on FB and you can contact her. She's expensive to come out and fit, but I bet you could talk to her about your horse and find out what saddle might fit well, then find one on eBay or Bayquest, if you are in the area.

1 members found this post helpful.

I love my JDR saddle and I thoroughly enjoy talking to Mehrdad. He has demonstrated more knowledge of fitting horses and riders than any other saddle fitter I've had direct contact with. I find him easy to work with and the saddles arrive in the time frame he committed to having them done.
    Respect gets respect.

1 members found this post helpful.

JRD does not use air panels in the saddles they make. Their fully custom saddles are often made for specific horse and rider combinations. Therefore, if you ride in one of their saddles that has been custom made for someone else, then it won't necessarily be comfortable for you as it wasn't made for you. If you want a saddle that will be used by multiple riders and/or horses, you should let them know that when you order your saddle and go thru the fitting process so that they can understand and accommodate your specific needs. I have been very happy with the quality of the saddles I have purchased and ridden in. The types of horses I have experienced with JRD saddles is a wide range including ponies, wide barreled, narrow, large shoulders, and some with big movement and all the saddles were a good fit. Since the custom made saddles are made (from selection of the tree to the building of the seat for the rider) for each specific horse and rider combination, I wouldn't say there is a specific horse/rider combination they fit; they are made to fit the individual combination and needs. In my experience with them, I have always been very comfortable in the saddles that I have had made for myself, have not had any communication issues with the company, and they have delivered the saddles/equipment within the agreed upon time-frame.

I had a very positive experience with JRD. My horse was not exactly an easy fit. Missed Mehrdad a few times (In person) on refitting saddle as horse changed but was able to talk over the phone, put extra padding here and there as he asked, to see what changes it made, sent saddle in and great results.

IMHO, JRD is either custom or semi-custom. I was quite happy with semi-custom. At that time I think two dressage saddles were offered semi-custom. But semi-custom covered a lot. Went to a fitting with three other riders and Mehrdad was spot on as to what fit us. He can pretty much look at you and figure out the twist you need and which saddle. My saddle finally allowed me to adopt the correct seat and horse loved it. However, in that fitting one of the riders was not comfortable out of her chair seat. The rest of us could see her finally sit the way she should but she could not get out of the chair. So, yes, not everyone will be pleased. It was heaven not fighting a saddle in one respect or another.

I don't think saddle fitting is a science so much as an art- and everyone has different definitions of art.

Will also say what others have said, that if you buy one that's been fitted to someone else, different horse, don't expect them to work without some adjustment. However, the first one I tried was a used one out of the shop and it let me sit better, even though it really was an inch shorter in the seat than I needed, than the Schleese I was in- that one was causing pain. (And was a semi-custom too)

My worst experience was with a Schleese rep. But others swear by them. It's whatever works for you.