The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Very Scary - my old guy had a seizure. Asking for jingles.

I was on the phone this morning and heard a lot of scrambling around and at first thought it was my cats running in the next room but then I heard a big splash and a metallic clang. I looked out my back window to the pipe roundpen and saw my 27 year old on the ground.

I ran out and the ground was all torn up, water tub overturned, Copper was struggling to get up. As I went in there, he stood up and started staggering. I ran up and was trying to direct his next fall and he nearly went down on me this time.

I kept him down for a while, it was horrible. I called the vet as I was certain he would need to be put down if he lived long enough for the vet to get there.

He thrashed for a little bit and tucked his head down into his chest between his front legs. His eyes didn't blink, his teeth were gritted and his lips pulled back, his legs were folded up tightly as if going over a jump he was groaning loudly and his heart was racing and he was sweating everywhere.

I thought he had had a heart attack or a stroke. He started thrashing around and despite being behind him, he somehow still managed to give me a glancing blow to the chest with a front hoof.

I backed away so as not to get more hurt, then......

....he stood up, took a poop and turned to me with a sweet look on his face as if to say "thank you for being with me, sorry for kicking you in the boobies."

He was having some trouble with his front legs though. The vet said that what I described sounded like a seizure. Copper checked out neurologically fine and his heart was good. The Doc gave him some valium and dex and I am starting him on bute tonight as he has a sore shoulder from the event.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Jingles for you and your horse!!

Aww, poor thing. Hope it was a one time event!
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Awww, no. So scary to see. Hope he's 100% and it was a one off. Poor baby. And poor you!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I had a horse in a friend's stable and one Saturday evening he didn't really eat his supper well, so they put him in the round pen by the office to keep an eye on him.
    They heard some crashing and went out and he was, as they described it, doing about like your horse was.
    He fell into the office wall and hit his head hard on it.
    The vet was just 10 minutes away and coming as fast as he could, but he was dead right away, maybe from hitting the wall with his head.
    It was June and the second year of WNV, so they pulled blood and sent it to the lab, that confirmed WNV.
    He had been vaccinated properly a few months before that, but the vaccine is only 95% effective.

I expect this early in the year, that would not be a possibility?

Glad that he came out of it and is fine now and you are ok too, after the kick.

1 members found this post helpful.

Definately scary! Jingles for a quick recovery with no re-occurance!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Very scary. I've dealt with one horse having repeated seizures,and it was terrible. Dangerous for the horse and the handler. Hope he's ok now and it never happens again.

Poor guy!
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Poor old man! Jingles for you and him!

That must have been so horrifying to witness. Any chance he had a fever that caused it? You have all the jingles you have handle coming from me and my senior citizen.

Poor guy. Here's hoping it was a one time event.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Sending many jingles to both of you! My lil dog has seizures and it's really scary to witness, I can only imagine how difficult it is to watch a horse go through it.

Here's hoping it was just a one time thing and that your old man is on his way to an easy recovery.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

I have had two friends whose older horses had seizures and they were both found to have Cushings. Both horses were diagnosed at Ohio State vet clinic. The seizures stopped once they got on pergolide.

Jingles for him!
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyTalk View Post
    I have had two friends whose older horses had seizures and they were both found to have Cushings. Both horses were diagnosed at Ohio State vet clinic. The seizures stopped once they got on pergolide.
    Funny you say that, I think he may be slightly metabolic, he grows a kind of long coat but he does shed and we have not had any laminitic episodes at all. We have had a lot of trouble keeping weight on him this year though. I ended up putting him on a high fat diet and taking him off senior and he was doing much better with his weight.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    That must have been so horrifying to witness. Any chance he had a fever that caused it? You have all the jingles you have handle coming from me and my senior citizen.
    No fever. That is one of the first things the Dr checked.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Quote Originally Posted by HappyTalk View Post
    Our old vet used to say that seizures in horses are rare without being part of an underlying problem, unlike in dogs and humans.

Checking with bloodwork and every other way may help you find if he had a rare self-standing seizure or it has some underlying cause, like some metabolic problem.

If he seizes, leaving him alone may be better, less excitement for an already stressed brain to handle and safer for you to stay out of the way, unless the vet told you something specific to do.

Jingles to both of you.

Gosh how scary! Hope it's a one off. Jingles
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

Very scary, sending lots of jingles for you and your old guy. Hope this was a freaky one-time deal and he suffers no ill-effects from the incident!

I'll second at least getting a good panel on him and include ACTH, Insulin, and Glucose. I have a dog that has seizures randomly and we haven't been able to figure out what the trigger is. Scary enough with a 20 pound dog I can only imagine the chaos when it happens with a horse. Lots of jingles!!