The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Shelby French Resigns

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/french-leaves-ushja

I wonder why she left? Not even a mention of her departure on the USHJA website.

1 members found this post helpful.

Not even a mention of her ever having been there, for that matter.

A little strange?

Whoa. That was quick.

Hello,

I've just updated the original story. Please use this link to read about the resignation: http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...h-leaves-ushja

Thank you,
    Mollie Bailey
    Editorial Staff, The Chronicle of the Horse
    www.chronofhorse.com

You know there's something tragically wrong in the industry when our CEOs decide to walk away and pursue an entirely different field of interest.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Now promoting sale horses from North Carolina to the Netherlands. Follow us on Facebook.

17 members found this post helpful.

IMO, The statement from Ms. French very much read like an "I do not like where this is going so I am hitting the eject button before everything goes down in flames."

Good luck to her!

19 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpony321 View Post
    IMO, The statement from Ms. French very much read like an "I do not like where this is going so I am hitting the eject button before everything goes down in flames."

Good luck to her!
    Can you blame her? After the sham election, it's not a surprise.

6 members found this post helpful.

Is she independently wealthy? Or was she given a golden parachute? No mention of needing to make a living?

(Not that there's anything wrong with that...plenty in that boat in this sport).

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpony321 View Post

Good luck to her!
    Uh-huh. Yup.

I wish her the best of luck. The organizations she mentions will be benefiting by her involvement.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dags View Post
    You know there's something tragically wrong in the industry when our CEOs decide to walk away and pursue an entirely different field of interest.
    Whaddup with French going back to "painting and volunteering"? Was this a career-job for her or a passtime?

I don't meant to disparage French in any way. I know a lot of people had a lot of faith in her and hoped she would reform the good ol' boys club.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Just one time I would like to see the reporters at the Chronicle of the Horse do a little investigative reporting. There has to more than this to the story. And, by the way, this goes for the Parkland and EHV stories. Ah well, by discontent is a byproduct of working for a newspaper for nine years. Our sister publication, The Patriot-News, broke the Jerry Sandusky story. Now that was journalism. All done by a junior reporter who would not stop asking questions and digging. She was won a Pulitzer Prize for her work on the story. The reporters at my place of employment were, for the most part, the same. They would dig and dig and dig until they got more facts. Journalism is dying in this country in favor of blogs spouting opinions and publications serving as pr firms.

8 members found this post helpful.

Well the Chronicle isn't really meant to be an investigative journalism paper.... If you would like to start one by all means go for it. Nobody is required to speak to the Chronicle and I imagine if they really started digging into some things they wouldn't get press passes for most of the events or have access to any riders.

And in this day and age I'd appreciate the media and journalists fact checking before reporting stories. Take the Yahoo story about Nevin Shapiro. Very little corraboration besides a criminal's word. Made a big splash but who knows how much is actually true. Sometimes it seems that in order to be the first to report it turns into I'll take a little fact and just make the rest up and report it as we go instead of getting everything in a row first.

ETA: although it would have been nice for the journalists who reported on Mante T'eo to actually fact check to see if somebody existed or there was a death record....

5 members found this post helpful.

I don't blame her at all, she probably realized Bill Moroney and the rest of the old boys club wasn't going to let her accomplish anything of substance. I think she was smart to get out and those other organizations are lucky to have her.

3 members found this post helpful.

To those who see fault in the Chronicle’s reporting:

We noticed the elimination of Shelby’s blog and name from the USHJA website and decided to ask what had happened. We also thought it was remiss to not have been announced. So we asked questions and got limited answers.

We try to balance our reporting on such topics with maintaining a cooperative relationship with our governing bodies, which is necessary in our daily operations.

We provided the information to you in a free and timely manner; the Chronicle strives to keep its readers as informed as possible, which takes effort, manpower and resources.

If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to contact me at molly@chronofhorse.com

24 members found this post helpful.

People never give the real reason when they resign from a job. Reading between the lines and with the timing I suspect she doesn't want to work with Bill.
    Or maybe she just got a better offer and that can't be shared yet.

We will all really miss Shelby. She was the one who told it straight. And Bill threw her under the bus at the convention.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Sorge View Post
    To those who see fault in the Chronicle’s reporting:

We noticed the elimination of Shelby’s blog and name from the USHJA website and decided to ask what had happened. We also thought it was remiss to not have been announced. So we asked questions and got limited answers.

We try to balance our reporting on such topics with maintaining a cooperative relationship with our governing bodies, which is necessary in our daily operations.

We provided the information to you in a free and timely manner; the Chronicle strives to keep its readers as informed as possible, which takes effort, manpower and resources.

If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to contact me at molly@chronofhorse.com
    Molly, I understand that you sometimes have to play along with the parties you are covering but it is frustrating sometimes for everyone - believe me our newspaper struggled sometimes to dig for all of the facts. However, if Sarah Ganim had not stuck through a very difficult investigation with a lot of people with a lot of power trying to keep the facts buried Jerry Sandusky may not be behind bars today. I am not saying that the horse show world is more important (although there are some rather unsavory pedophile rumors in the horse show world) but I would like to see some balance between just covering the news (which the Chronicle does very well, indeed) and a deeper, investigative piece. Just my opinion - I could very well be wrong and you all are free to castigate me ;-).

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiewoo View Post
    We will all really miss Shelby. She was the one who told it straight. And Bill threw her under the bus at the convention.

I am not being argumentative, because I agree it sounds like she is totally disgusted and over the HJ industry based on her words, and decision to not only leave but also not even be involved in A shows anymore "judge locally and teach a few friends". Just curious if you could tell me how BM threw her under the bus? Might help shed some light to those of us who weren't there... TIA
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Oh My!! Our own Benghazi complete with "resignation." Oh To have been a fly on the wall......

I'm very intrigued with the whole situation. I have a lot of respect for Shelby (she was the director of riding when I was at Sweet Briar), and I know she was very dedicated to improving the industry and standardizing the quality of instruction/integrity of the sport. I wonder what would cause this sudden change...