The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default I am in boot camp. Good workout programs?

My horse was on layup for the last 9 months or so. I duly stopped taking myself seriously as an athlete. Now it's time for him to get fitter, and me too. I'm in bad shape. Boot camp time! I'm looking for recommendations for workout programs/videos, rather than specific exercises; I like to be able to put a video on my phone or TV and work along with the screen. Bonus points if it's on YouTube! Particularly need to work on core strength. Any programs you like?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred is a great intro-type workout - very quick and easily adaptable to your skill level (if you're lower level, choose lower resistance, if you're pretty fit already start at level 2 or add in another workout on top, etc). It's super simple to follow too - 10 days of level 1, 10 days of level 2, 10 days of level 3 and you're done! Look it up on Youtube, it's easy to find.

I also like Pop Pilates, particularly if you have a specific area you want to work on. I've added the videos on top of 30DS before and had excellent results!

1 members found this post helpful.

Nike Training Club is a free app on your phone and is PHENOMENAL!

I've heard good things about Nike Training Club, but I've never done it.

My favorite "kick your butt into shape" program is Insanity. I don't know that you'll find it on YouTube, though. It's a whole series of DVDs.

No matter what, good job on knowing you need the same thing your horse does! I wish more riders would figure that out...have fun!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    I've heard good things about Nike Training Club, but I've never done it.

My favorite "kick your butt into shape" program is Insanity. I don't know that you'll find it on YouTube, though. It's a whole series of DVDs.

No matter what, good job on knowing you need the same thing your horse does! I wish more riders would figure that out...have fun!
    I really like Insanity as well!

I second the Pop Pilates- and she usually has a workout calendar on her website too blogilates. Or I just mix it up w/ 30 min cardio and 30 min pilates, or an hour pilates, or an hr cardio. I can really tell a difference-- mainly in my core strength

Pilates instructor here! I recommend Pilates. (Surprise?)

Find a good instructor who can give you hands on help with body alignment and a solid foundation, then if you're wanting to do a home program, there are lots of great resources to continue on your own! Pilates is great for total body fitness and a nice strong core, which really helps your balance.

I really enjoyed Pilates, but eventually found it hard on my back (disc problems, scoliosis, etc.) It's also going to be hard on my wallet. See above where I'm looking for the "free" bit. My experience was with whatever the machine-assisted variety is, so I don't know how well that will generalize to at-home, but I'll certainly try it.

Thanks for all the great suggestions- today was down day, tomorrow I guess I'll be kicking and screaming my way through some of these. I did planks, or something like them that engaged my abs, off my foam roller yesterday. I am ashamed at how little I was able to do. This is pathetic.
    - Harry Dresden

Quote Originally Posted by _downpour_ View Post
    Nike Training Club is a free app on your phone and is PHENOMENAL!
    Is there a way to do this to music if you don't have music on your iPhone? It seems I can't sync my iPhone to my iTunes library on my MacBook because my MacBook is too outdated, but working out without music is not possible for me. I get a message that leads me to believe I have other options for music, but I can't figure out what they could be.

Check out DailyBurn. It's regular $10 a month but you get a free trial for a month. They have great workout programs and a lot of variety - yoga, bodyweight, 15 minute cardio, dance, etc. I'm still in my first month but I'm loving it! They give you little achievements like "watched 5 workout videos" or "visited DailyBurn 7 days in a row" and it sounds dumb but it really keeps you motivated.

1 members found this post helpful.

Are you able to do cardio workouts with your back issues? Speed walking and maybe some light jogging?

I second the DailyBurn suggestion- great and varied videos for a good price (I got a year for half price back when they ran a special last summer). It's not free, but it's certainly cheaper than hiring a trainer.

I second the Jillian Michael's DVD's if you are looking at doing a program at home that is relatively inexpensive.

I've had a tremendous benefit from doing Pilates on a reformer, but the classes are very expensive. I took a few to get the basic idea then bought a $300 reformer on sale and do that a few times a week. After about a month, I stopped feeling sore from doing tons of 2-point, and I could go a whole jumping lesson without needing any breaks

Quote Originally Posted by Eggplant_Dressing View Post
    Are you able to do cardio workouts with your back issues? Speed walking and maybe some light jogging?
    Yes, and that's what I'm doing now- walking, jogging, or the elliptical, about 3 miles each day, 4-6 days a week. I'd be swimming if I had access to a pool. I want to bring in some fitness work on other muscle groups too, particularly as my core is pathetic! My horse would prefer I not attempt to sit the trot right now.

I'll keep my eye out for DailyBurn on sale.
    - Harry Dresden

Quote Originally Posted by ynl063w View Post
    Is there a way to do this to music if you don't have music on your iPhone? It seems I can't sync my iPhone to my iTunes library on my MacBook because my MacBook is too outdated, but working out without music is not possible for me. I get a message that leads me to believe I have other options for music, but I can't figure out what they could be.
    If you can download apps then I'd suggest just downloading an app for music. Songza is my favourite. You get to pick a playlist based on what you're doing/what you want to listen to. I have too many songs on my iphone but never actually listen to any since I just stream music off songza. oh and it's free

P90X girl here. I had to take a break from riding while husband was deployed. I kept up my core with that and my 3X a week PT with my squadron. I got on and rode for the first time in a long time this past week and it felt like I'd only taken a week off. P90X is super adaptable to your level and there's a lot of variation on the moves so that if you can't do it a particular way you can try a different method. I can't imagine a break from it now.

It is like insanity though, in that it's a DVD system, not sure if it's available on YouTube but we ordered a copy relatively cheap from eBay.