The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Witty Replies To Saddle Comments

I am getting ready in advance, for future comments on my newly purchased Trophy saddle. Been looking at saddles for quite a while, since our horses are quite hard to fit. Typical Sporthorse build, good withers, WIDE shoulders, with exceptionally short backs. Since they are all bred alike, the body is pretty much the same on all the horses. If one saddle fits anyone well, it fits all of them well.

So anyway, I have been watching Running P saddles on ebay, and liked the looks. They have all been Roping saddles, flatter seats, lower cantles AND short skirts behind the cantle. I found one that was a good price, appeared NEW, and jumped on it for the Buy-it-now price. Just got it, looks like it is everything I wanted, husband liked the fit with weight in the saddle, still could get hands under the shoulder area, no pinch points. PLENTY of room behind the skirt, won't poke horse with the skirt even if he would grab his own tail! Other good features I like too!!

However the tooling announces Champion All-Around COWBOY on the fenders, with place-name Rodeo on the jockeys and the year and Association on the back skirts! In LARGE lettering! And it screams NEW with light leather color. My horses and I do NOT resemble the winning western Pair from a Rodeo, let alone the All-Around champion, though we are not a shabby combination in skill or horsemanship.

I am going to be getting a lot of remarks, both funny and "who did you steal that saddle from", so I need some comebacks to make us all laugh. Horses I ride are obviously NOT QHs, though they could pass for Western with a handsome, non-cute head. They are just large next to most Trail horses. Not clunky movers, actually quite agile. I am EXTREMELY happy to put up with other folks fun remarks, now that I have found a saddle that fits the horses so well. Riding these guys western always invites comments anyway, but new trophy saddle will be a BIG opening for jokes. Just need some stuff to hand back, so they get as good as they give, a part of Trail Riding fun meeting new folks. I can say a lot of things with a straight face, so those kind of jokes work too.

Thanks
    Last edited by goodhors; Feb. 28, 2013 at 01:03 PM.

"Yo mamma."
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

5 members found this post helpful.

In response to "where did you get that saddle" type comments," say, "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you."

Maybe "There's just so much about me that you don't know," followed by a grin and walking away.
    Last edited by NoSuchPerson; Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: fix grammar

I would not worry. I have two trophy saddles and I have only had one comment. They just wanted to know what event I won it in. Trophy saddles are sold a lot so most people realize it was probably bought. Have fun in it!!!

Default "Just helping a cowboy down on his luck"

and shrug your shoulders.

Like spotnnotfarm said, Trophy saddles/tack get sold frequently. Even if they're kept, they can then be used on any horse you darn well please.

Someone who gets their world rocked by a trophy saddle on a horse that doesn't look like he won it needs to get out more.

Smile, nod, ignore.

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, I'd say I was trying to work up to it or live up to it or give myself something to work towards, gotta little ahead of myself and got the saddle first, or maybe it was a cheap competition and they recycled a saddle and it already said cowBOY on it - sorta depends on how you want to mess with them and how they start off commenting.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

"I went to the 'insert Rodeo name here' Rodeo and all I got was this lousy saddle"
    Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse. Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword, O, Horse!
    Anonymous Bedouin legend

1. I won it in a poker game.

2. I won it in a strip poker game.

12 members found this post helpful.

the truth is easiest to remember...I bought it on eBay...
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Bumper sticker on the back that says "My other horse is a rodeo horse?"

Also what Beverly said. Or something along the lines of "you should have seen the cowboy that got away!"

Douse it in oil and that should even out the tones too. Saddle bags will cover up half the saddle too.

You should have seen the cowboy that came with it - but my DH wouldn't let me keep him so now I'm stuck with this fancy saddle. Badump bump.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    You should have seen the cowboy that came with it - but my DH wouldn't let me keep him so now I'm stuck with this fancy saddle. Badump bump.
    I like that one.

I would just imply that you have a secret, rodeo life. Who wouldn't want one?

If someone asks you where you got it, take a moment to obviously study the saddle and then say, "Well, apparently I took it off the All Around Champion from Blah Blah Blah Rodeo, because I am surely NOT the All Around Champion of anything. Our butts must have been the same size, though, because this is the most comfortable saddle I have ever sat in". And then grin like the joke is on you, even though it isn't.
    Sheilah

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    and shrug your shoulders.
    I like this one the best from 2ndyrgal:

"Just helping a cowboy down on his luck."

And you know what, you probably did.

Or, say your husband won it for you. Or, don't sporty horses require a sporty saddle?

Or what Hippolyta said. "that you have a secret, rodeo life. Who wouldn't want one?"

Thank you all for your good suggestions. I am going to have a real good time using them all. Ensuing conversations should bring a lot of laughs when riding in that saddle. I didn't want to be one of those folks "wearing the outfit, but not having a clue about how to really do the deed", when out there on that saddle.

If only I was good enough to win a Rodeo All Around!! Just would be SO cool!!

You do realize we are going to need/want pictures, don't you? I enjoyed reading some of the comments, and hope you will keep us posted on whether you ever have to use any of them!
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

I want pictures of the cowboy who got away! I think COTH did you really well in this thread- these lines are great!

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

Deadpan : "Wal-mart."
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

1 members found this post helpful.