The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

On scratching, can't you get a vet slip? I mean, if your vet says not to go, can they still do a vet excuse for you...not sure how much detail is needed. I've had mine write it up in a fairly general way before, not giving details as to what was wrong with the horse, just they can't go. So if vet agrees there is risk, maybe they can do that and you won't lose all the money??

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    More and more that's just making me not want to go. I'm pretty much thinking it'd be bad to risk it. There will always be other shows for me to do. However, we do have all of our entries in so that's money lost, and we just booked the hotel last night.
    Well, the great news is that you can cancel a hotel reservation.

Quote Originally Posted by lrp1106 View Post
    I'll tell you why I'm not going to Gulfport and why I'm leaving my current barn.

Had people from my barn go to Ocala. They were in a tent basically alone. They came back to MS after the first reported case of EHV-1. They are quarantining themselves in our back barn. Not everyone is adhering to the quarantine as strictly as they should. Some of the other horses in my barn are going to Gulfport. The horses who were at Ocala were planning on going to Gulfport before the EHV-1 outbreak.

Even though the horses who were at Ocala are not planning on going, this can spread so easily and it's just not worth the risk to me.
    I'm all for being really cautious, but I think it's a little bit of an overreaction. And I mean that in the gentlest way possible. Your barn has taken measures to isolate the horses that were exposed. And their exposure sounds really limited. While I personally wouldn't go away to a show for a while, I don't think the horses at your barn are very high-risk, and THEIR decision to continue on to a show wouldn't make me leave the barn all together. Look at it this way - at least your barn is smart enough to have quarantine protocol in place, lackadaisical or not. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, you know?
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    What do the horses in Loxahatchee have to do with Gulfport, though?

Not going to Gulfport because of it makes about as much sense as not going to Thermal (except in the case of lrp, whose horses have potentially already been exposed).
    I think the point was that Loxahatchee is far away from Ocala, so if a horse can get infected with it in Lox, who's to say that a horse can't get it in Gulfport?

PS - Just saw a Facebook update from the FEI at WEF that says "FEI is open for business." Not sure exactly what that means.
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    I think the point was that Loxahatchee is far away from Ocala, so if a horse can get infected with it in Lox, who's to say that a horse can't get it in Gulfport?

PS - Just saw a Facebook update from the FEI at WEF that says "FEI is open for business." Not sure exactly what that means.
    True, but even then Lox is 3 1/2 hours from Ocala vs. the 7 hours from Ocala to Gulfport. My point is that A LOT more horses make the trip from Ocala to Wellington than Wellington to Gulfport or Gulfport to Ocala. The infected horse(s) in Loxahatchee were likely on the WEF show grounds at some point, no?

I'm all for being really cautious, but I think it's a little bit of an overreaction. And I mean that in the gentlest way possible. Your barn has taken measures to isolate the horses that were exposed. And their exposure sounds really limited. While I personally wouldn't go away to a show for a while, I don't think the horses at your barn are very high-risk, and THEIR decision to continue on to a show wouldn't make me leave the barn all together. Look at it this way - at least your barn is smart enough to have quarantine protocol in place, lackadaisical or not. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, you know?

I am not so sure. In the last EHV-1 "outbreak" our vets suggested this protocol: our barn allowed horses to leave to go to shows but once they were off the property, they could not return for 1 month while being monitored for EHV-1.

The risk is that if one person gets lackadaisical in their quarantine protocol, the entire barn is at risk. And when you have people who are not familiar with medical and biological safety, that happens way to easy.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    I am not so sure. In the last EHV-1 "outbreak" our vets suggested this protocol: our barn allowed horses to leave to go to shows but once they were off the property, they could not return for 1 month while being monitored for EHV-1.

The risk is that if one person gets lackadaisical in their quarantine protocol, the entire barn is at risk. And when you have people who are not familiar with medical and biological safety, that happens way to easy.
    Great points, Reed. Would it make a difference to you if the exposed horses were immediately isolated when they got home, or if they were comingled with the general population at the barn and then, after realizing their exposure, were isolated?

I'd have a harder time being ok with it if an exposed horse came home and was stalled next to mine for even a short length of time, and THEN isolated after realizing its exposure - because then that means that MY horse would have been exposed. That would be a game changer for me. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    And if people from my barn who have been possibly exposed to horses that were possibly exposed, how many other barns are going to do this?

The horse at the Grand Prix Village wasn't at Ocala. It had no contact with Ocala, so how do you account for that? I think it's better to be safe than sorry. I'm not willing to lose my horses because of this.

It's just not worth it guys! This will be my first time in years not going to all 5 weeks of Gulfport.

While I personally wouldn't go away to a show for a while, I don't think the horses at your barn are very high-risk, and THEIR decision to continue on to a show wouldn't make me leave the barn all together. Look at it this way - at least your barn is smart enough to have quarantine protocol in place, lackadaisical or not. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, you know?
    This is the straw that broke the camel's back. I've been having issues with this barn for awhile, but the BO's lax-ness with the quarantine really upsets me. Even though the horses are low-risk, they're putting our entire barn at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by lrp1106 View Post
    This is the straw that broke the camel's back. I've been having issues with this barn for awhile, but the BO's lax-ness with the quarantine really upsets me. Even though the horses are low-risk, they're putting our entire barn at risk.
    Gotcha

I know that Ocala and Wellington are closer but I really just don't like the idea of the uncertainty. I'm one of those people that likes to know exacts and have a good deal of control, and something dangerous that I can't see is top on my list of nightmares.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

This has been posted at least 5 times: the horses in Lox did two weeks in Ocala.

They were stabled very close to tent 7.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by APirateLooksAtForty View Post
    This has been posted at least 5 times: the horses in Lox did two weeks in Ocala.

They were stabled very close to tent 7.

I've been reading every release out there. I haven't seen this before. It's all been very vague and all the press releases have been written by poor writers. Sometimes simplicity is key.

hunterrider - just tried to PM you. My vet said she has lots of clients going to Gulfport and isn't discouraging anyone from doing so (with the exception of my barn).

Also, as far as ive heard/read there has only been one case with neurologic signs. I'm assuming they tested the other positive because he spiked a fever but unsymptomatic for the neuro form.

Also there is a risk of EHV-1 neuro anytime you take your horse to any gathering. There is probably a horse there who has a latent infection and isn't shedding. If you take good biosecurity measures you limit your risk. Your horse us always at risk you're just more aware of it right now

Quote Originally Posted by kmwines01 View Post
    Also, as far as ive heard/read there has only been one case with neurologic signs. I'm assuming they tested the other positive because he spiked a fever but unsymptomatic for the neuro form.

Also there is a risk of EHV-1 neuro anytime you take your horse to any gathering. There is probably a horse there who has a latent infection and isn't shedding. If you take good biosecurity measures you limit your risk. Your horse us always at risk you're just more aware of it right now
    The horse with "neurologic signs" was negative for the neurogenic EHV. Positive for the wild strain. It is suspected that the ataxia was from being cast in its stall for a period of time. That was Feb 20th. No horses at HITS have tested positive since then.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Additionally if you are all concerned about your horses "getting" something, let me suggest you never show. Large numbers of horses in small places are ALWAYS at risk for communicable diseases. Most horses "have" EHV. The question becomes when do they succumb to the virus and start shedding. So far the only horse at HITS positive for EHV and clinically sick is the index case, which is NO LONGER on the grounds as of Feb 20th.

^^per FL state veterinarian.

What Jumphigh said ... At this point there are no infected horses on the showgrounds and the horses who left who did become sick were all in the same area around Tent 7. Also, if you are really worried about your horse getting sick take the bottle of Dex and throw it away. Because using glucocorticosteroids will definitely affect your horse's immune system. Wonder if we can connect the dots - how many of the sick horses are hunters?

Quote Originally Posted by NinaL aka Chrissy View Post
    What Jumphigh said ... At this point there are no infected horses on the showgrounds and the horses who left who did become sick were all in the same area around Tent 7. Also, if you are really worried about your horse getting sick take the bottle of Dex and throw it away. Because using glucocorticosteroids will definitely affect your horse's immune system. Wonder if we can connect the dots - how many of the sick horses are hunters?
    I've never given my horses, even my hunters, Dex. Just FYI.

Stress can decrease the immune system enough to cause shedding and susceptibility to the virus. Ask anybody who gets cold sores. Herpes viruses love those stressful times. So showing, shipping, etc are big triggers.