The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Re: EHV1

okay, admittedly i know nothing about EHV1 so don't flame me, i do have a question though. There is barn near here that has horses that were in Florida during this outbreak (at HITS). These horses have since been sent home. I'm not sure what, if any, precautions the owners are taking but they will be coming home to a huge boarding barn. There will be a horse show at this barn in about 2 weeks. Is it safe to go to this show? Again, this might be a silly question to some, but i really need to hear your opinions. Thank you!

I wouldn't!
    Erin and
    Instant Karma "Sunny", ShineDown "Liam"

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust the sails."

4 members found this post helpful.

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/ceh/ehv1_general.cfm

Some more info for you so you can make a more informed decision.

It's up to you if you feel you are able to control your horse's exposure to other horses and equipment on the farm that may have also been in contact with other horses in general.

I wouldn't either. Lots of competitors are scratching from a show this weekend because horses would be there who were also around the HITS mess.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

No expert here and have no experience with EHV-1 but I wouldn't put my horse at risk. There will be other shows.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Not to steal the thread, but do we think it's safe to go down to Gulfport and such this week? Obviously that's not florida, but I heard rumors of the new cases being miles away in Loxahatchee, and I feel like if it'll spread from Ocala to near Wellington, might Gulfport be next?
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

1 members found this post helpful.

Any horse at any time can start shedding it so there's generally an even amount of risk of exposure at any large gathering of horses. EHV-1 is considered endemic in the horse population and most have a latent infection but can be reinfected is another horse starts shedding the virus. So anyway... you're horse is just as much risk of transmission at Gulfport as he was before these cases were diagnosed.

3 members found this post helpful.

Edited: If the horse show is in 2 weeks, the horses will have shown signs by then, assuming the owners are monitoring them. It's up to you, but if it was me I probably wouldn't since it's cutting it close. I guess it really depends on how well you know the people with the horses in question.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Instead of starting new threads, why not read the ones that are already up, and click on the links to get accurate and up to date information.

Gulfport has enacted security protocols--check with them before shipping there.

How about asking your vet about showing at other venues?

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    Not to steal the thread, but do we think it's safe to go down to Gulfport and such this week? Obviously that's not florida, but I heard rumors of the new cases being miles away in Loxahatchee, and I feel like if it'll spread from Ocala to near Wellington, might Gulfport be next?

I scratched. Lost a ****load of money but it's worth it.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lrp1106 View Post
    I'm starting to think it's a bad idea. I'm sure trainer will still be going down there, I'll still be going down because I'm supposed to go straight to the beach from Gulfport, but with the EHV-1 I'd rather loose money on the stall fees then have my horse infected.

Quote Originally Posted by lrp1106 View Post

This stinks - I am so sorry for everyone having to deal with this. Several years ago our area had a scare of EVH 1 and many of us did not attend shows, even some organizations cancelled their shows.

Sorry you lost a *** of money but you probably already know what you "would" lose if the horse went to the show and was exposed to EVH 1.

I have a new horse to the US and he has had trouble dealing with the American bugs. He is at a show right now and I am a worried mother for sure. He is vaccinated but you still worry about them. Prayers everyone (and horse) is safe!
    "Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood" ~ GM

3 members found this post helpful.

I wouldn't be as concerned about Gulfport—very few, if any, go between those two circuits. I'm honestly more concerned up here in zone 2, where we have a lot of horses coming and going between Florida and shows here. If I were going to Gulfport, I wouldn't use a commercial shipper, but I doubt I'd *not* go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    I wouldn't be as concerned about Gulfport—very few, if any, go between those two circuits. I'm honestly more concerned up here in zone 2, where we have a lot of horses coming and going between Florida and shows here. If I were going to Gulfport, I wouldn't use a commercial shipper, but I doubt I'd *not* go.
    The manager at Gulfport has posted on Facebook that he is not allowing any horses from Ocala to attend his shows now.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    The manager at Gulfport has posted on Facebook that he is not allowing any horses from Ocala to attend his shows now.
    And they did say that only those with reserved stalls from before the outbreak would be allowed in, so I'm thinking it's safe, but I don't know whether I'd rather go because it's highly unlikely and have a 1% risk or stay at home and have a .001% risk. Anyone know how it spread to Wellington even with the the quarantine and strict managing down in WEF?

And they did say that only those with reserved stalls from before the outbreak would be allowed in, so I'm thinking it's safe, but I don't know whether I'd rather go because it's highly unlikely and have a 1% risk or stay at home and have a .001% risk. Anyone know how it spread to Wellington even with the the quarantine and strict managing down in WEF?
    The quarantine was just enacted this week, so it's not like they've been especially vigilant from the start, especially with WCHR week last week (which a lot of horses come in for). Additionally, at WEF, with so many barns off-premises, you can't control what horses are coming into those barns—just because WEF isn't allowing horses from Ocala in, doesn't mean that barns in the GP Village aren't.

Loxahatchee is close to Wellington. There are confirmed cases in Lox - horses that were previously at HITS before the index case. There are lots of ways it could have moved around - think about commercial truckers, people visiting the farm, even the guy that comes to haul away manure. Lots of variables and ways to spread infection. That's not even taking into account that it can be spread through the air.
    I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.

More and more that's just making me not want to go. I'm pretty much thinking it'd be bad to risk it. There will always be other shows for me to do. However, we do have all of our entries in so that's money lost, and we just booked the hotel last night.

I'll tell you why I'm not going to Gulfport and why I'm leaving my current barn.

Had people from my barn go to Ocala. They were in a tent basically alone. They came back to MS after the first reported case of EHV-1. They are quarantining themselves in our back barn. Not everyone is adhering to the quarantine as strictly as they should. Some of the other horses in my barn are going to Gulfport. The horses who were at Ocala were planning on going to Gulfport before the EHV-1 outbreak.

Even though the horses who were at Ocala are not planning on going, this can spread so easily and it's just not worth the risk to me.

More and more that's just making me not want to go. I'm pretty much thinking it'd be bad to risk it. There will always be other shows for me to do. However, we do have all of our entries in so that's money lost, and we just booked the hotel last night.
    What do the horses in Loxahatchee have to do with Gulfport, though?

Not going to Gulfport because of it makes about as much sense as not going to Thermal (except in the case of lrp, whose horses have potentially already been exposed).