The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Junior/Petite Dressage saddles

I'm in the market for a new (to me) dressage saddle. I'm petite (5'3 and 100 lbs) and I've been considering a youth/juniors saddle. Is anyone familiar with the Passier Young Champ or the Stubben Juventus D models - or have any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MustangPony11 View Post
    I'm in the market for a new (to me) dressage saddle. I'm petite (5'3 and 100 lbs) and I've been considering a youth/juniors saddle. Is anyone familiar with the Passier Young Champ or the Stubben Juventus D models - or have any other recommendations?

Thanks!
    There are actually MANY threads on this already, but one of the other top recommendations is the Courbette Bernina JR.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am 5'1", 103lb and ride in a small (17") Custom Saddlery saddle with a short flap. (I got it used and love it)

Rode in a Passier 16" which is the largest in the YC model, @ your height/weight, really nice saddle. Also a 16" Crosby Freestyle works nicely for that size, slightly deeper seat than the Passier.

Just remember that flap length and seat size are very different in terms of rider fit, and that a shallower/deeper seat can run larger or smaller.

I am 5'1'' and petite but my saddle seat is 17.5 inches, however, I also have a short/petite flap, as it is my lower leg that is so short (plus I ride a small horse, to the shorter flap means more room for me to get my led on his barrel)

Not sure that any of that makes any sense, other then short does not always = smaller seat...

I have a wonderful Albion SLK Ultima Brentina in a 16.5" seat, best saddle I ever rode in, finally found something that fit, perfect balance point, very secure but with room to move around, and put my leg in the right place. Unfortunately, I sold the horse it fit, and now it is just sitting here....sigh!!!

I'm also petite and love my Brunet Pineau Chantilly monoflap. It's a 17.5 but rides much, much smaller and has short flaps. The Devocoux Milady seems to ride quite similarly.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

Default Niedersuss

There's a 16.5 Niedersuss for sale at the Middleburg Tack Exchange.

Slightly off topic...

Where do you find a dressage pad to fit these saddles?? (preferably navy blue with some pretty gold piping...or white with navy blue piping...)

I finally found a 16 dressage saddle for myself and have been using an A/P pad for schooling.
    A normal dressage pad obviously looks stupid.
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

Just for Ponies sells pads made specifically to go with the children-size dressage saddles.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks!
    I really hate shopping!
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

I'm 5ft 1 and ride in a 16.5inch Custom solo, 17inch Custom Star and 16.5inch english Saddle Fit (one of mine that i have built for short-backed ponies).

The nice thing about the Custom saddles is that you can have a 16.5 or a 17. You can have the flap shortened by an inch, or by two inches. You can put a 17.5 seat on shorter 'Pony Panels', you can change the knee block from long to short, to short and straight, or long and more angled ... you can have a big seat, short panels, short flap .... whatever you need - all at no additional cost.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangPony11 View Post

Thanks!
    The most beautiful brown dressage saddle

I found a good pic of Bob in the 16.5 SR Solo - I think it makes both of us look good - I like my position in it, and I like Bob in it. I'm 45 and have been riding 6 years, and Bob is 3.5 and has been riding 6 weeks. He moves well in it.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...psc7dd76b2.jpg