The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default EHV-1

HOw close do horses have to be to catch this? are they reasonably safe in paddocks with a 20 foot lane? we just had some horses move here from florida. I don't know that they were from that area but just wondered in general.I will ask the vet but thought someone on here would know.

1 members found this post helpful.

According to Univ. of Fl. site, where first positive horse is being treated, they said it is UNKNOWN how far the virus can travel once airborn. Scary, right?

Horses can be MILES apart. The virus is not generally spread via airborne modes. But if you come in contact with an infected horse shedding the virus, say they get nose gunk on your shirt, and you do not change or clean the shirt you take the virus with you. It can also be spread through bedding and fluids on your shoes. Horses spread it most effectively through direct contact.

This is what isolation protocols are about. You use foot baths, never wear the same clothes between horses (hot water wash, hot dryer), wash hands etc. every time after exposure or wear gloves and coveralls.

3 members found this post helpful.

We at the Chronicle have put together all the recent EHV-1 coverage into a main page...

http://www.chronofhorse.com/content/...tbreak-florida

We're keeping as up-to-date as possible on all the developments, and hope you can use this information hub to stay informed.

Thanks! Molly Sorge

Molly - I am getting a page not found error for the link you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Roisin View Post
    Molly - I am getting a page not found error for the link you posted.
    Here is the correct link: http://www.chronofhorse.com/content/...tbreak-florida
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.