The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Luhmühlen

Boyd Martin not sound for jog but horses pass: http://eventingnation.com/home/boyd-...l-horses-pass/

Do you think it was a good decision to send someone who is not %100?

Best of luck to all riders...sad to see Rebecca Howard scratched...wonder if that was planned?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    Boyd Martin not sound for jog but horses pass: http://eventingnation.com/home/boyd-...l-horses-pass/

Do you think it was a good decision to send someone who is not %100?

Best of luck to all riders...sad to see Rebecca Howard scratched...wonder if that was planned?
    We didn't send him....he and his owners sent him.

There are a lot of riders that are fine for riding but not jogging a horse. Boyd is fairly moblie--I saw him walking courses last weekend and he looked like he always does...but I'm sure has a gimp in his trot and that is distracting when presenting a horse for soundness.

I wish him and Phillip good luck...looks like a pretty serious xc course.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Jun. 11, 2014 at 03:02 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

3 members found this post helpful.

I bet it was a precaution to have Phillip jog them. If I couldn't run really fast or had a noticeable gimp, I would definitely have someone else jog my horses. I would not want them to get held for a stupid reason like that.

I am excited to see how this weekend goes! I took a quick glance at the course, and it looks like a challenge. Really cheering for them both, as I think any of those horses would make a nice addition to the WEG team. I do love Trading Aces though, and hope either Phillip or Boyd gets to ride him on the team.
    ~Isabel

Proud owner and Head Groom for Infinity Sport Horse
    Facebook :: Website

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    We didn't send him....he and his owners sent him.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...luhm%C3%BChlen

2 members found this post helpful.

I did not see that. Good for him and his syndicates.

But yes, he is sound enough for that competition....and one of our best competitors for WEG so I have no issue with sending him if he said he wanted to go. Again...there are more than a few riders who don't jog their horses because of their own lameness at the jog but are fine while riding. I personally have a knee injury that doesn't bother me riding...but I'm about a grade 3 jogging.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Interesting...I was wondering about his leg injury and how it would feel on cross country day. Just a testament to us eventers and how tough we are.

BTW, I broke my foot badly nearly a year ago. I am still not 100% walking or running, but riding my horse, my bike, or doing yoga, I am fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    Interesting...I was wondering about his leg injury and how it would feel on cross country day. Just a testament to us eventers and how tough we are.
    It's not the first time he has ridden injuried....nor will be the last. He looked pretty sound this past weekend and rode I think 3 or 4 horses around Intermediate on a course with a lot of terrain.

A lot of pro riders ride injured (and often their injuries are not public knowledge--Boyd is a bit more open than most I think because he likes to post gross pictures)...I don't personally agree with it, but when it is your source of income, it does require some sucking up and dealling with it.

I'm pretty sure Lynn Symansky did not jog Donner at Bromont last week, she's still recovering from her fall at jersey fresh.

There is no doubt in my mind that he can't do it! I just thought the grant was interesting choice with him being injured.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

"I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Boyd looked sharp in his helmet .
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

5 members found this post helpful.

Many, many riders do not expose their various owies in the course of business, i.e., competing publicly. I see the grimace sometimes upon landing from the drops, or when a particularly strong horse takes a hold, and think, "hmmm. THAT hurts, I bet." But nothing is said and they sure don't whine.
    A big international competition like this isn't the place we'll see a lot of helmet wearing, change comes slow, but the fact that we even see SOME is a great, great stride. We need to be realistic, and I still think it is a personal decision. I would much rather discuss the horses and their performances! I am eagerly awaiting the XC because I love all three of these horses over jumps. The course photos are kind of neat. This doesn't look like an easy one!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Livestream Saturday,Midday Local time; http://www.zdf.de/epg/programm-4100....chenuebersicht

You may need a VPN service.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Interesting breeding note from the entry list. Easy Tiger, ridden by Kate Wood is an OTTB by Prized who won the breeders cup turf. He's retired at Old Friends in Kentucky.

3 members found this post helpful.

Lucinda Fredericks just shot to #1 (Australian at C!)
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Well done Phillip and Boyd...both sub 50 scores and in the top 15. Everything crossed for good runs tomorrow and sound horses (and riders) on Sunday!!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Flying Finish doesn't seem to be a very consistent 4* horse. His last good finishes were at Luhmuhlen in 2013 (10th) and 2012 (2nd). He did win a CIC3* in 2013, but he's been increasingly inconsistent since the London Games. He retired at Badminton this year and was 36th at Pau last year.

Gotta doubt if he's the winner, but he does like this course.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

... _. ._ .._. .._

:: pokes head in door ::

Every time I see "Luhmühlen" I think "lululemon" (which I say in a snooty faux French accent loolooleemoh).

That is all.

:: unpokes head from door, closes door ::
    Proud Member of the League of Weenie Eventers
    Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique

8 members found this post helpful.