The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 480 of 535
  1. #461
    Join Date
    Feb. 10, 2006
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere, take a right, FL
    Posts
    4,438

    Default

    Just to put things in perspective...

    About 9,000,000 horses die annually in the USA from all causes. About 100,000 or so (say 80,000-125,000 most years) go to slaughter. These horses do not pop up in one location, they are "collected" and passed around the country, sometimes by holding in feedlots and sending via semis or sent in smaller loads from auction to auction, each buyer hoping to make a small profit off the horse and ultimately concentrating these horses in "hubs" so to speak. New Holland, various huge feedlots, other auctions. Despite that the number of slaughter bound horses is only 1% if the total deaths per YEAR. So yes the USA can absorb 1% of the dead horses per year. It worked out to about 2 per county per year last time any math genius figured it out. The only problem might be if they stopped slaughter at once leaving horses in the pipeline BUT as we have seen the public LOVES TO SAVE A HORSE LEFT HANGING IN THE PIPELINE. Big Animal Groups LOVE TO SAVE HORSES LEFT HANGING IN THE PIPELINE. Most of those horses will end up in some home somewhere. There are always going to be horses that need to be euthanized for illness, injury or for being dangerous.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

    Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.



  2. #462
    Join Date
    Oct. 19, 2008
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Here is another thought for the pro-slaughter people. ok, so horse slaughter becomes legal in the u.S., plants sprout up, horse meat starts selling for say $10-15/lb at the grocery store. everyone gets on the band wagon wanting a piece of that $10-15/pound price. Those 800,000 to million (estimated) currently that are unwanted go directly into the pipeline as does the 30-50k wild mustangs sitting in holding pens.. price drops since the market becomes flooded

    Since people are not heading directly to the grocery store to buy the horse meat cause gee we just arent used to seeing it, let alone eating it, it sits. however in the interim joe blow down the street who hasnt seen a paycheck in a few months decides golly he go to the auction yard and start buying horses that are now selling for $50 a piece. Again because the market is flooded he sits on the horses thinking he can turn it and sell it for the price he has concocted in his head.

    In the interim, said new KB wanna be doesnt realize that he has to feed the horse until it sells at auction. Horses sit in backyard while he/she is waiting for prices to go up and since the joe blow wasnt making any money in the first place, there isnt any money in which to feed the horse. also, group b of joe blow looking to be a big money maker starts breeding horses because some of the horses he bought were stallions. And vicious cycle starts all over again..

    In checking local auction yards, I found a 32 year thin T-bred gelding for sale, an emaciated 28 year old qh for sale, and a few other old ones which probably wont make it all the way to canada or mexico without being dumped or them dying enroute. Taking the selling price of these horses with an estimated weight and if mexico or canada takes them - that turns out to be about 20 cents a pound.. before the market becomes flooded.



  3. #463
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andylover View Post
    Here is another thought for the pro-slaughter people. ok, so horse slaughter becomes legal in the u.S., plants sprout up, horse meat starts selling for say $10-15/lb at the grocery store. everyone gets on the band wagon wanting a piece of that $10-15/pound price. Those 800,000 to million (estimated) currently that are unwanted go directly into the pipeline as does the 30-50k wild mustangs sitting in holding pens.. price drops since the market becomes flooded

    Since people are not heading directly to the grocery store to buy the horse meat cause gee we just arent used to seeing it, let alone eating it, it sits. however in the interim joe blow down the street who hasnt seen a paycheck in a few months decides golly he go to the auction yard and start buying horses that are now selling for $50 a piece. Again because the market is flooded he sits on the horses thinking he can turn it and sell it for the price he has concocted in his head.

    In the interim, said new KB wanna be doesnt realize that he has to feed the horse until it sells at auction. Horses sit in backyard while he/she is waiting for prices to go up and since the joe blow wasnt making any money in the first place, there isnt any money in which to feed the horse. also, group b of joe blow looking to be a big money maker starts breeding horses because some of the horses he bought were stallions. And vicious cycle starts all over again..

    In checking local auction yards, I found a 32 year thin T-bred gelding for sale, an emaciated 28 year old qh for sale, and a few other old ones which probably wont make it all the way to canada or mexico without being dumped or them dying enroute. Taking the selling price of these horses with an estimated weight and if mexico or canada takes them - that turns out to be about 20 cents a pound.. before the market becomes flooded.
    you mean that on the odd chance the KB is as neglectful as a bunch of hoarder rescues?

    As to your economic scenario, I am a bit confused....what? 50$ a pound? I don't think Tiger and Rhino goes for that much....


    And what is it with the 2 geriatric horses you found for sale?
    Somebody kept them around long enough before dumping them, when they have lost all value and most chance of being rehabilitated...how does that figure in?
    Aside from shifting the blame from the neglectful owner to the KB buyer....

    yes, there are plenty of people in the industry that have the business sense of a turtle. I am assuming traders do have their black sheep.
    But good grief...your 'let's assume' is so full of cow manure....it is not even funny!

    But I am giving you the benefit of the doubt...worst possible outcome....

    The guy would make the headlines like any other hoarder rescue having racks of bones on the back forty....but he could not use them to raise money.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #464
    Join Date
    Oct. 19, 2008
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Here is another thought for the pro-slaughter people. ok, so horse slaughter becomes legal in the u.S., plants sprout up, horse meat starts selling for say $10-15/lb at the grocery store. everyone gets on the band wagon wanting a piece of that $10-15/pound price. Those 800,000 to million (estimated) currently that are unwanted go directly into the pipeline as does the 30-50k wild mustangs sitting in holding pens.. price drops since the market becomes flooded

    Since people are not heading directly to the grocery store to buy the horse meat cause gee we just arent used to seeing it, let alone eating it, it sits. however in the interim joe blow down the street who hasnt seen a paycheck in a few months decides golly he go to the auction yard and start buying horses that are now selling for $50 a piece. Again because the market is flooded he sits on the horses thinking he can turn it and sell it for the price he has concocted in his head.

    In the interim, said new KB wanna be doesnt realize that he has to feed the horse until it sells at auction. Horses sit in backyard while he/she is waiting for prices to go up and since the joe blow wasnt making any money in the first place, there isnt any money in which to feed the horse. also, group b of joe blow looking to be a big money maker starts breeding horses because some of the horses he bought were stallions. And vicious cycle starts all over again..

    In checking local auction yards, I found a 32 year thin T-bred gelding for sale, an emaciated 28 year old qh for sale, and a few other old ones which probably wont make it all the way to canada or mexico without being dumped or them dying enroute. Taking the selling price of these horses with an estimated weight and if mexico or canada takes them - that turns out to be about 20 cents a pound.. before the market becomes flooded.



  5. #465
    Join Date
    Oct. 19, 2008
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    you mean that on the odd chance the KB is as neglectful as a bunch of hoarder rescues?

    As to your economic scenario, I am a bit confused....what? 50$ a pound? I don't think Tiger and Rhino goes for that much....


    And what is it with the 2 geriatric horses you found for sale?
    Somebody kept them around long enough before dumping them, when they have lost all value and most chance of being rehabilitated...how does that figure in?
    Aside from shifting the blame from the neglectful owner to the KB buyer....

    yes, there are plenty of people in the industry that have the business sense of a turtle. I am assuming traders do have their black sheep.
    But good grief...your 'let's assume' is so full of cow manure....it is not even funny!

    But I am giving you the benefit of the doubt...worst possible outcome....

    The guy would make the headlines like any other hoarder rescue having racks of bones on the back forty....but he could not use them to raise money.....
    Not 50 cents a pound I wrote 20 cents a pound.

    The horses at auction that I found are somewhat typical of what I have seen and yes they were dumped "after all value" was removed. It is of relevance because these are some of the types of horses that are being sold at auction.

    If there are neglectful owners, there are going to neglectful KB's. I am not just shifting the blame from the owner to the KB.. I am saying the horse should have been euth'd before going to auction. the 30 year old horse gets shuffled around from semi to semi, hub to hub and only adding to the pain to the horse that some pro-slaughter people are saying they are trying to prevent. Then even if the horse makes it to mexican or canadian border, probably wont make it to slaughter before it gets dumped to starve because the horse was to thin or too sickly.

    If the KB does makes the headlines for being a hoarder and for having a slew of horses he hasnt been able to feed - how is that any different from what is happening now?
    Last edited by andylover; Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: corrections



  6. #466
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andylover View Post
    Not 50 cents a pound I wrote 20 cents a pound.

    The horses at auction that I found are somewhat typical of what I have seen and yes they were dumped "after all value" was removed. It is of relevance because these are some of the types of horses that are being sold at auction.

    If there are neglectful owners, there are going to neglectful KB's.

    said KB does makes the headlines for being a hoarder and for having a slew of horses he hasnt been able to feed. so, how is that any different from what is happening now?
    While probable, it is also not very likely. At least in the long run, because oh goodness gracious, I am saying it: It's a business in which you won't stick around long if you don't make profit.
    I know it is an ugly word....but that is the way the world works.

    The KB who delivers sub-par goods to the plant won't be delivering much.

    But you are also assuming that the trader is only in the business of horseflesh....
    I think it has been established - however anecdotal - that they might be dealing in lowend horses, they still get more for the beast as riding horse than as dinner.

    but gosh, really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  7. #467
    Join Date
    Aug. 21, 2002
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    594

    Default

    Horses seem to be really cheap these days. So, the nnonslaughter homes needn't struggle to afford them. Where are they?


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #468
    Join Date
    Oct. 19, 2008
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    I have around 15 or so registered to my name. More after the foals are born...3 expected

    Leo
    Of those 15, soon to be 18, how many do you keep and how many do you plan to sell? Of the ones you plan to sell (or have sold in the past) what percentage get sold to buyers that will use them for riding or how many of those to auction?



  9. #469
    Join Date
    Oct. 19, 2008
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    While probable, it is also not very likely. At least in the long run, because oh goodness gracious, I am saying it: It's a business in which you won't stick around long if you don't make profit.
    I know it is an ugly word....but that is the way the world works.

    The KB who delivers sub-par goods to the plant won't be delivering much.

    But you are also assuming that the trader is only in the business of horseflesh....
    I think it has been established - however anecdotal - that they might be dealing in lowend horses, they still get more for the beast as riding horse than as dinner.

    but gosh, really?
    Yes it is a business.. doesnt mean the "business" is closed to new individuals trying to get in to make a buck. yes, if newbie KB keeps trying to deliver sub par horses he wont be in business long. But how many horses does it take for the newbie to give up, how many horses does he collect, how many horses get reported for being too thin and how many times does KB get reported before the county and their tax dollars are left to pick up the pieces? again not much different then the rescue down the street struggling to feed the horses, the KB just has a different business motto.



  10. #470
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by summerhorse View Post
    Just to put things in perspective...

    About 9,000,000 horses die annually in the USA from all causes. About 100,000 or so (say 80,000-125,000 most years) go to slaughter. These horses do not pop up in one location, they are "collected" and passed around the country, sometimes by holding in feedlots and sending via semis or sent in smaller loads from auction to auction, each buyer hoping to make a small profit off the horse and ultimately concentrating these horses in "hubs" so to speak. New Holland, various huge feedlots, other auctions. Despite that the number of slaughter bound horses is only 1% if the total deaths per YEAR. So yes the USA can absorb 1% of the dead horses per year. It worked out to about 2 per county per year last time any math genius figured it out. The only problem might be if they stopped slaughter at once leaving horses in the pipeline BUT as we have seen the public LOVES TO SAVE A HORSE LEFT HANGING IN THE PIPELINE. Big Animal Groups LOVE TO SAVE HORSES LEFT HANGING IN THE PIPELINE. Most of those horses will end up in some home somewhere. There are always going to be horses that need to be euthanized for illness, injury or for being dangerous.
    Ck your numbers...I think it's about 900,000 horses that die each yr. 10% of them are slaughtered. There are about 9 million horses in US. Of that 1% are slaughtered.
    I know what you meant, but there was an extra zero in there.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  11. #471
    Join Date
    May. 17, 2010
    Location
    Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.
    Posts
    734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by summerhorse View Post
    Just to put things in perspective...

    About 9,000,000 horses die annually in the USA from all causes. About 100,000 or so (say 80,000-125,000 most years) go to slaughter. These horses do not pop up in one location, they are "collected" and passed around the country, sometimes by holding in feedlots and sending via semis or sent in smaller loads from auction to auction, each buyer hoping to make a small profit off the horse and ultimately concentrating these horses in "hubs" so to speak. New Holland, various huge feedlots, other auctions. Despite that the number of slaughter bound horses is only 1% if the total deaths per YEAR. So yes the USA can absorb 1% of the dead horses per year. It worked out to about 2 per county per year last time any math genius figured it out. The only problem might be if they stopped slaughter at once leaving horses in the pipeline BUT as we have seen the public LOVES TO SAVE A HORSE LEFT HANGING IN THE PIPELINE. Big Animal Groups LOVE TO SAVE HORSES LEFT HANGING IN THE PIPELINE. Most of those horses will end up in some home somewhere. There are always going to be horses that need to be euthanized for illness, injury or for being dangerous.
    So why is the slaughter pipeline even an issue?
    Why aren't the mere one or two per county already being snapped up by someone in that area?
    Why aren't the giveaways/cheapies on Craigslist being snapped up immediately?
    At the prices they are going for it should be simple, right?

    I don't get the "it will be easy to absorb them" argument; if that was the case, why aren't they "absorbed" already?

    When slaughter was stopped in the US, why weren't the rescue/anti-slaughter groups "absorbing" them so they wouldn't be making that trip?

    Oh, right, as someone else said, "that part isn't MY problem"

    Why, while thousands are still crossing the boarders is the Camelot group having to beg every week for homes and often give them to random strangers who are willing to take them - what happens when there are a couple thousand more every week that need homes?

    Where are these groups that "LOVE TO SAVE HORSES LEFT HANGING IN THE PIPLELINE" for all of those going through the pipeline currently? If it's only a couple here and there, why aren't they already doing so?
    If they can't do it now, how are they suddenly going to handle more horses?



  12. #472
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andylover View Post
    Yes it is a business.. doesnt mean the "business" is closed to new individuals trying to get in to make a buck. yes, if newbie KB keeps trying to deliver sub par horses he wont be in business long. But how many horses does it take for the newbie to give up, how many horses does he collect, how many horses get reported for being too thin and how many times does KB get reported before the county and their tax dollars are left to pick up the pieces? again not much different then the rescue down the street struggling to feed the horses, the KB just has a different business motto.
    Like the rescue business, so what is your point?

    KBs are excluded from opening businesses in favor of hoarder rescues on the off chance they are terminally stupid?

    You are forgetting though, that the network of dealers of low end quality horses has never diminished. They changed their buying patterns, sure, and business models (somebody mentioned 'Camelot' fantastic example: getting a useful critter for pittance, selling it to the bleeding heart crowd for a substantial markup....OMG, slaughter. Too bad while it saved THAT horse....the slot won't be empty....)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #473
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 2005
    Location
    Strasburg, PA "Just west of Paradise"
    Posts
    3,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    7HL you are TOO funny!!
    Yup that's me trolling... that's why I am one of a very few people posting and offering links and references to the information I share.
    We don't need or want your selective links or references. It's just spam. Just regurgitated RARA talking points.



  14. #474
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    17,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    We don't need or want your selective links or references. It's just spam. Just regurgitated RARA talking points.
    I suppose you think you're winning the PR war with the constant name calling, but all it does is prevent people who might have something to contribute to the discussion from posting or reading. More importantly, you're not changing anyone's mind.

    Not everyone who doesn't like slaughter is a RARA, although RARA's all do not like slaughter. Can you see the difference? Think Venn diagram.

    It's the same as vegetarianism. Not all vegetarians are RARAs. For example, I didn't eat fish, fowl or meat for 10 years because I didn't like the smell or the way it tasted.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant



  15. #475
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    6,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    We don't need or want your selective links or references. It's just spam. Just regurgitated RARA talking points.
    See what I mean? Funny, funny, funny!

    This is just a few of the sources I've offered from the last 5 pages of this thread:

    http://www.grandin.com/references/horse.transport.html
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...hter-it-humane
    http://animalscience.tamu.edu/files/...industry10.pdf
    http://www.ourcoloradonews.com/castl...9bb2963f4.html
    http://oae.sagepub.com/content/22/2/158.abstract
    http://start.cortera.com/company/res...j/beltex-corp/
    http://www.manta.com/c/mm8hc77/cavel-international-inc
    http://www.manta.com/c/mmgcpby/dallas-crown-inc
    http://www.simplyhired.com/a/local-j...y/l-Dekalb,+IL
    http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes513023.htm
    http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstrea...1/sp06om01.pdf
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...hterhouse.html
    http://partners.nytimes.com/library/...duff-meat.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/12/us...anted=all&_r=0
    MHLW, you know who/what that is right?
    http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/topics/mrls/index.html
    http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/topics/mrls/dl/mrls2.pdf
    http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/unit...on-349748.html with links to EU, and FDA
    http://gain.fas.usda.gov/Recent%20GA..._1-29-2010.pdf


    Which ones are spam and which ones are regurgitated RaRa again?

    Those of you suggesting that these horses all need homes, I think you are missing the point.

    Whether you hate slaughter for a good reason, a bad reason or no reason at all... or you support the industry 200%, this recent fiasco has opened Pandoras box for the industry.

    The EU, the #1 buyer of horsemeat have long endeavored to make sure the meat they buy to resell is clean of drugs that they and the USDA and other government agencies have deemed not suitable for animals intended for human consumption.

    They started out requiring EIDs to verify the horses past and medications. That blew up in their faces with the obvious loophole that was the 'as long as I have owned the horse' bit.

    So, they decided they need more and in July 2013 they intend to require passports for ALL horses.

    They required passports of the European horses they slaughtered and lo and behold they STILL have bute in the meat.

    Consumers, whether they unintentionally consumed horse or did so intentionally, are in an uproar about the drugs they are learning is in the stuff. Those consumers are going to want even more strict and reliable assurances that the horses lifetime drug intake is verifiable and traceable.

    So again, who will buy US horses- that do not possess a passport- to slaughter for human consumption?
    I keep asking this question only to be answered by the sound of crickets... why d'you think that is? Could it be they don't have an answer to that and 'it's the RaRas' is just easier to parrot even if it doesn't answer the actual question?

    RaRas didn't taint the meat or slip it into packaging labeled 'beef'.
    RaRas didn't accept any/every horse with a faked EID into the slaughter plants.
    It was not the RaRas who have thrown this wrench into the slaughter industry's works. They did it themselves with their head in the sand, look the other way attitude.
    Last edited by Angela Freda; Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:08 AM.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #476
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    We don't need or want your selective links or references. It's just spam. Just regurgitated RARA talking points.

    I agree, so much of that some antis bring is extraneous noise.
    They either don't realize it, or are just trolling.

    We are talking about the push by animal rights groups to ban slaughter.
    We are not talking about how to manage slaughter.
    I have already tried to explain that good management or bad management happens in all we do in life, but we don't go asking any we do be banned when there is bad management, as in rescues that starve horses, policemen that beat citizens, priests that molest kids, etc.

    We have some of the largest, non-profit organizations in this world, with mega-milllions in their coffers thanks to the gullible donors out there, that are using the ban slaughter cause of the moment as one more of their banner recruiting and donation bon-falls.

    Tell me of any other we do in life with such mega millions, all to fight our rights to all our uses of animals?
    There is not any such group that doesn't has any other purpose but ban rescues, ban police, ban priest and use the mismanagement/abuse card to do so?

    THAT is what is worrisome, that all our uses of animals are at stake here, slaughter the low hanging fruit to pick, slaughter "icky" nature making it an easy target.

    Seems that some here are following animal rights bandwagons without really understanding what the bigger picture is.
    They keep bringing this and that out of context story or link and trying to make that a reason to ban slaughter and refuse to understand that is not what this is all about.
    The mismanagement and abuse card they keep bringing up are intended to mislead, because, as with the rescues, police and priests examples above, that some do wrong is no reason to BAN and BANNING is what we are talking about here.

    Right, kind of hard to make sense or know how to respond to some presented here, it is so absurd in this context, other than just as trolling to keep all confused and not thinking about the real topic.
    The topic is not how to slaughter, but if to ban it or not.

    I say, if we have use for SOME, numbers bandied around are 1%, of horses we don't have other uses for, one more time thru slaughter, WHY NOT?

    We are not talking about YOUR horse, but SOME horses that belong to those that accept that, horses used one more thru slaughter is a proper way to use the natural, renewable resource those horses can be for us.

    Why is it now any business of the rest of us what others do with their horses?
    Oh, yeah, because that is what animal rights extremists groups are after, by whipping all that are natural followers into a frenzy, to help them further their agenda of eventually eliminating all uses of animals ... " ... and none too soon for me", as the illustrious leader of one such group was known to repeat, before that was not quite PC any more.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #477
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    See what I mean? Funny, funny, funny!

    This is just a few of the sources I've offered from the last 5 pages of this thread:

    http://www.grandin.com/references/horse.transport.html
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...hter-it-humane
    http://animalscience.tamu.edu/files/...industry10.pdf
    http://www.ourcoloradonews.com/castl...9bb2963f4.html
    http://oae.sagepub.com/content/22/2/158.abstract
    http://start.cortera.com/company/res...j/beltex-corp/
    http://www.manta.com/c/mm8hc77/cavel-international-inc
    http://www.manta.com/c/mmgcpby/dallas-crown-inc
    http://www.simplyhired.com/a/local-j...y/l-Dekalb,+IL
    http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes513023.htm
    http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstrea...1/sp06om01.pdf
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...hterhouse.html
    http://partners.nytimes.com/library/...duff-meat.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/12/us...anted=all&_r=0
    MHLW, you know who/what that is right?
    http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/topics/mrls/index.html
    http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/topics/mrls/dl/mrls2.pdf
    http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/unit...on-349748.html with links to EU, and FDA
    http://gain.fas.usda.gov/Recent%20GA..._1-29-2010.pdf


    Which ones are spam and which ones are regurgitated RaRa again?

    Those of you suggesting that these horses all need homes, I think you are missing the point.

    Whether you hate slaughter for a good reason, a bad reason or no reason at all... or you support the industry 200%, this recent fiasco has opened Pandoras box for the industry.

    The EU, the #1 buyer of horsemeat have long endeavored to make sure the meat they buy to resell is clean of drugs that they and the USDA and other government agencies have deemed not suitable for animals intended for human consumption.

    They started out requiring EIDs to verify the horses past and medications. That blew up in their faces with the obvious loophole that was the 'as long as I have owned the horse' bit.

    So, they decided they need more and in July 2013 they intend to require passports for ALL horses.

    They required passports of the European horses they slaughtered and lo and behold they STILL have bute in the meat.

    Consumers, whether they unintentionally consumed horse or did so intentionally, are in an uproar about the drugs they are learning is in the stuff. Those consumers are going to want even more strict and reliable assurances that the horses lifetime drug intake is verifiable and traceable.

    So again, who will buy US horses- that do not possess a passport- to slaughter for human consumption?

    RaRas didn't taint the meat or slip it into packaging labeled 'beef'.
    RaRas didn't accept any/every horse with a faked EID into the slaughter plants.
    It was not the RaRas who have thrown this wrench into the slaughter industry's works. They did it themselves with their head in the sand, look the other way attitude.

    All nonsense in this context.
    That is all part of the push by animal rights extremist groups to ban slaughter by using the mismanagement and abuse cards to ban slaughter.

    Why is that all nonsense in this context?
    Read previous post of mine.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  18. #478
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 2011
    Posts
    2,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by summerhorse View Post
    Just to put things in perspective...

    About 9,000,000 horses die annually in the USA from all causes. About 100,000 or so (say 80,000-125,000 most years) go to slaughter. These horses do not pop up in one location, they are "collected" and passed around the country, sometimes by holding in feedlots and sending via semis or sent in smaller loads from auction to auction, each buyer hoping to make a small profit off the horse and ultimately concentrating these horses in "hubs" so to speak. New Holland, various huge feedlots, other auctions. Despite that the number of slaughter bound horses is only 1% if the total deaths per YEAR. So yes the USA can absorb 1% of the dead horses per year. It worked out to about 2 per county per year last time any math genius figured it out. The only problem might be if they stopped slaughter at once leaving horses in the pipeline BUT as we have seen the public LOVES TO SAVE A HORSE LEFT HANGING IN THE PIPELINE. Big Animal Groups LOVE TO SAVE HORSES LEFT HANGING IN THE PIPELINE. Most of those horses will end up in some home somewhere. There are always going to be horses that need to be euthanized for illness, injury or for being dangerous.
    If there are so many who will be willing to absorb..excess horses...please tell EVERY RESCUE in United States. They are in DIRE need of adoptions.

    DEFHR had a strict program that never allowed any horse to be adopted outside of 100 miles of them. Now they are shipping horses to Texas and hoping they can find homes for them.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  19. #479
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 2011
    Posts
    2,939

    Default

    Ah..yes..lets banish slaughter in America because in EUROPE (Ireland to name one country) horse meat was put in with meat from cattle. It was interesting that it was NOT a scandal when it first broke. Then the Rara's became incensed that HORSES were killed to eat...then mislabel became the hot spot.

    Still NO OUTRAGE....then they INFUSED....HORSEMEAT HAS DRUGS IN IT.

    That got everyones attention..made for GREAT newscopy.

    Then the RARA's got on the bandwagon...THIS MEAT IS FROM CANADA AND U,S,A. and is poisoned. Truth time...NO MEAT CAME FROM US.

    This was horsemeat from Ireland and Belgium, Holland and other eastern block countries.

    I have been told, this morning, via email, that Angela is VERY WELL KNOWN on European forums for her support of banning and her RARA involvement. I have not seen these posts but I was told one forum is German (english???) or Holland?That would make sense) and also Britain.

    Now we know why Angela has no horses, has not bred any horses and has no solutions. Rara's don't want solutions. They want DONATIONS


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #480
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    6,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    I have been told, this morning, via email, that Angela is VERY WELL KNOWN on European forums for her support of banning and her RARA involvement. I have not seen these posts but I was told one forum is German (english???) or Holland?That would make sense) and also Britain.

    Now we know why Angela has no horses, has not bred any horses and has no solutions. Rara's don't want solutions. They want DONATIONS
    HaHaHa! Seriously?
    Someone is having WAY too much fun with you Fairfax.
    That sensation in your leg? It's someone pulling it!



Similar Threads

  1. Horse boarding bill in the NY Senate
    By SMF11 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Feb. 28, 2013, 05:55 PM
  2. Senate hearing--drugs in horse racing
    By charismaryllis in forum Racing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jul. 25, 2012, 07:17 AM
  3. Replies: 27
    Last Post: Jun. 26, 2012, 03:30 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jan. 29, 2011, 06:41 PM
  5. Leased horse: owner's signature on entry form?
    By deltawave in forum Eventing
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Feb. 5, 2010, 02:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •