The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 535
  1. #401
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 2011
    Posts
    3,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    Bluey - I am hardly a nutjob or connected to PETA as you would like to "label" me or anyone else who opposes horse slaughter. Yes, I am an animal activist and proudly wear that label as it applies to someone who cares about animal welfare. I get really sick of people deciding that the best way to "fix" a "problem" with animals is to simply kill them and walk away. Why indeed does a horse have to have a "last use" as dinner? I actively work in rescue of pet animals and horses constantly -- wish I was smarter and more wealthy and could do more. But I refuse to accept that slaughter is the answer. It wouldn't matter if breeding was all done by discriminating breeders and there were better laws about horsekeeping or any other way you might consider -- there would still be those who neglect or abuse them and throw them away because they simply don't care. I don't care if horses have been eaten over the years or it's accepted in Europe or Asia -- it's wrong! With horse slaughter many very viable, young and nice horses are quickly snapped up for slaughter instead of getting a real chance. I doubt seriously it will be monitored down every avenue as far as transport, care or the actual kill floor to insure "humane" treatment. It's just another disgusting thing that people do to a very noble creature for reasons of greed who deserve much better. If it weren't for Tippi Hedren, Defenders of Wildlife, Causes and other groups who monitor and make a difference, the plight of animals would be much worse. I started this thread so that those who wish could email or call the governor's office and say "NO" to the repeal of the ban on horse slaughter. If you feel differently, fine. However, denigrating those who are against it and labeling us in a derogatory manner is total *BS*!
    PennyG
    Since you are a Rara...please share YOUR solution. The slaughter industry removes about 150,000 horses out of the million horse excess inventory (or there abouts) ..counties have no money...rescues are full...so WHO is going to take care of this number of horses. WHO is going to pay for them..Please share YOUR SOLUTION for that numberr of horses to be removed and "taken care of safely" in 12 montrhs.

    Anyone can be against something...and they have a right to their opinion...but if they want to ban something...they better present a workable alternative.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #402
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    8,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Since you are a Rara...please share YOUR solution...

    Anyone can be against something...and they have a right to their opinion...but if they want to ban something...they better present a workable alternative.
    .



  3. #403
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 2005
    Location
    Strasburg, PA "Just west of Paradise"
    Posts
    3,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    .
    The most intellegent thing said by the RARAs.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #404
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    8,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    The most intellegent thing said by the RARAs.
    And your intelligent submissions include...?



    By the way Fairfax' claim that the meat in Canada gets tested for banned substances, I would love to see his source for that info cause this is what I found:

    A letter to Crosland from CFIA's chief veterinary officer, Dr. Ian Alexander, says that between 2012 and 2013, 385 horses were scheduled for sampling, which is less than half a per cent of the estimated number of horses killed annually in Canada.

    http://www.cbc.ca/m/rich/news/story/...da-foodie.html


    Oh yeah, that sounds like a thorough testing....



  5. #405
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 2005
    Location
    Strasburg, PA "Just west of Paradise"
    Posts
    3,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter.pleasure View Post
    When slaughterhouses move into communities, violent crime and sexually violent crime rates rise:


    Now that is grasping at straws.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #406
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 2005
    Location
    Strasburg, PA "Just west of Paradise"
    Posts
    3,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    And your intelligent submissions include...?


    And yours????

    Just regurgitated RARA talking points.
    A horse doesn't care how mauch you know, until he knows how much you care.
    - Pat Parelli


    1 members found this post helpful.

  7. #407
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    8,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post


    Now that is grasping at straws.
    Interesting that you left out the link that poster provided.

    http://oae.sagepub.com/content/22/2/158.abstract

    A university study that included this conclusion:

    This study uses panel analysis of 1994-2002 data on nonmetropolitan counties in states with “rightto-work” laws (a total of 581 counties) to analyze the effect of slaughterhouses on the surrounding communities using both ordinary least squares and negative binomial regression. The findings indicate that slaughterhouse employment increases total arrest rates, arrests for violent crimes, arrests for rape, and arrests for other sex offenses in comparison with other industries. This suggests the existence of a “Sinclair effect” unique to the violent workplace of the slaughterhouse, a factor that has not previously been examined in the sociology of violence.



  8. #408
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    47,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Interesting that you left out the link that poster provided.

    http://oae.sagepub.com/content/22/2/158.abstract

    A university study that included this conclusion:

    This study uses panel analysis of 1994-2002 data on nonmetropolitan counties in states with “rightto-work” laws (a total of 581 counties) to analyze the effect of slaughterhouses on the surrounding communities using both ordinary least squares and negative binomial regression. The findings indicate that slaughterhouse employment increases total arrest rates, arrests for violent crimes, arrests for rape, and arrests for other sex offenses in comparison with other industries. This suggests the existence of a “Sinclair effect” unique to the violent workplace of the slaughterhouse, a factor that has not previously been examined in the sociology of violence.
    Curious, that is the same out of the ballpark type arguments the religious right makes to keep standard racing banned in TX.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  9. #409
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    8,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Back to economics....year one

    The slaughter plant is employing AMERICANS right in the United States.
    Oh yes, lots and lots of jobs!!!

    BELTEX CORP
    3801 N GROVE ST
    FORT WORTH, *TX *76106-3720 *|* view map
    (817) 324-1136
    www.frontiermeats.com

    COMPANY DETAILS
    Have fresher information? | Update now
    • Location Type: Headquarters
    • Industry: Meats and Meat Products

    • Ownership: Private
    • Year Founded: 1972
    • Sales Range: $25,000,000 to $74,999,999
    • Employees: 100 to 250

    http://start.cortera.com/company/res...j/beltex-corp/



    Cavel International Inc
    Own This Business?
    Edit Company Info
    8510 Gurler Road
    Dekalb, IL 60115-8665 map
    Ads

    Employees
    50 to 99

    http://www.manta.com/c/mm8hc77/cavel-international-inc



    Dallas Crown, Inc
    Own This Business?
    Edit Company Info
    2000 W Fair Street
    Kaufman, TX 75142-1868 map
    Ads

    Employees
    50
    50 **

    http://www.manta.com/c/mmgcpby/dallas-crown-inc


    Your point demonstrates a clear lack of knowledge....back to the books for you...



  10. #410
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 2005
    Location
    Strasburg, PA "Just west of Paradise"
    Posts
    3,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Interesting that you left out the link that poster provided.



    A university study that included this conclusion:

    This study uses panel analysis of 1994-2002 data on nonmetropolitan counties in states with “rightto-work” laws (a total of 581 counties) to analyze the effect of slaughterhouses on the surrounding communities using both ordinary least squares and negative binomial regression. The findings indicate that slaughterhouse employment increases total arrest rates, arrests for violent crimes, arrests for rape, and arrests for other sex offenses in comparison with other industries. This suggests the existence of a “Sinclair effect” unique to the violent workplace of the slaughterhouse, a factor that has not previously been examined in the sociology of violence.
    I don't read it as a slaughter house issue but a reason not to have "right to work" laws.



  11. #411
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 2005
    Location
    Strasburg, PA "Just west of Paradise"
    Posts
    3,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Oh yes, lots and lots of jobs!!!
    .

    Yes every job created is a job. I am glad you agree.



  12. #412
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 2005
    Location
    Strasburg, PA "Just west of Paradise"
    Posts
    3,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    I don't read it as a slaughter house issue but a reason not to have "right to work" laws.
    http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...act_id=1027987

    Although right-to-work states may be more attractive to business, this does not necessarily translate into enhanced economic verve in the right-to-work state if there is little “trickle-down” from business owners to the non-unionized workers. Findings are that the number of businesses and self-employed are greater on average in right-to-work states, but employment, wages, and per-capita personal income are all lower on average in right-to-work states.
    http://www.minnpost.com/community-vo...rk-legislation


    Unemployment & low wages breeds crime.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #413
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 2011
    Posts
    3,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Oh yes, lots and lots of jobs!!!

    BELTEX CORP
    3801 N GROVE ST
    FORT WORTH, *TX *76106-3720 *|* view map
    (817) 324-1136
    www.frontiermeats.com

    COMPANY DETAILS
    Have fresher information? | Update now
    • Location Type: Headquarters
    • Industry: Meats and Meat Products

    • Ownership: Private
    • Year Founded: 1972
    • Sales Range: $25,000,000 to $74,999,999
    • Employees: 100 to 250

    http://start.cortera.com/company/res...j/beltex-corp/



    Cavel International Inc
    Own This Business?
    Edit Company Info
    8510 Gurler Road
    Dekalb, IL 60115-8665 map
    Ads

    Employees
    50 to 99

    http://www.manta.com/c/mm8hc77/cavel-international-inc



    Dallas Crown, Inc
    Own This Business?
    Edit Company Info
    2000 W Fair Street
    Kaufman, TX 75142-1868 map
    Ads

    Employees
    50
    50 **

    http://www.manta.com/c/mmgcpby/dallas-crown-inc


    Your point demonstrates a clear lack of knowledge....back to the books for you...
    Nope...back for you with your california buddy

    My point was...they EMPLOY AMERICANS...now lets look further...they purchase goods and services...electricians...plumbers...construction companies for ongoing work on their plants. They buy supplies. They pay taxes that support the community. They purchase cardboard goods for shipping boxes. They produce paper goods. They hire accountants.

    This is not a case, as claimed by your beach bunny friend that money is leaving the U.S. Look at other industries...they pay NO taxes...kThe slaughter industry...equine..beef...chicken...pork pay for goods and pay for employees.

    You are grasping at straws.

    A local butcher of beef will hire maybe ONE employee. A local bakery will hire maybe 2-3 employees for a small business. Employment is employment.

    50-250 employees I think is wonderful.

    Dakalb Ill....population 39.000
    Education
    Less than 9th grade 5%
    9th to 12th grade, no diploma 8%
    High school graduate 21%
    Some college, no degree 21%
    Associate's degree 8%
    Bachelor's degree 20%
    Graduate degree 18%


    http://www.simplyhired.com/a/local-j...y/l-Dekalb,+IL

    The article was by Amy...

    Did you READ IT....actually READ IT?

    These increases have been theorized as being linked to the demographic characteristics of the workers, social disorganization in the communities, and increased unemployment rates. But these explanations have not been empirically tested, and no research has addressed the possibility of a link between the increased crime rates and the violent work that takes place in the meatpacking industry.

    Back to the bottom of the barrel and grasping for straws.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  14. #414
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 2011
    Posts
    3,911

    Default

    Angela...ALL of us are still waiting for YOUR solution for 150,000 horses over 12 months..that the slaughter industry would remove from the chain.

    Pro slaughter ARE looking for alternatives as slaughter is just one small piece of the puzzle.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  15. #415
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    14,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    . ..however many in San Diego would challenge your comments about safe as would friends in Tucson and Phoenix. There is much violence due to conflicts arising from Mexican versus others issues.
    There is very little violence here. We average about 8 murders a yr and most of those are husband/wife, boyfriend/girlfriend, drunk at a party fights. I can walk my dogs at midnight and feel perfectly safe. The idea that violence is coming across the border is a myth. Phoenix and tuscon are 8/5 hrs away.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016



  16. #416
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    25,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    There is very little violence here. We average about 8 murders a yr and most of those are husband/wife, boyfriend/girlfriend, drunk at a party fights. I can walk my dogs at midnight and feel perfectly safe. The idea that violence is coming across the border is a myth. Phoenix and tuscon are 8/5 hrs away.
    You're right!


    http://www.kvia.com/news/El-Paso-Ran...z/-/index.html
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/



  17. #417
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2011
    Posts
    483

    Default

    I believe we're still waiting for even 'one' alternative from the raras. I feel sorry for them, so I'll mention one really special alternative which was offered by our buddy Carol of Oklahoma. Her 'alternative' to the slaughterhouses was to establish special herds of horses to be self-sustaining on the curtilage of each slaughterhouse!!!! These horses could then be used for slaughter and the rest of the horses in the U.S. would be saved and everyone could sleep well at night? I'm still pondering the insanity of such a thought process. I have to wonder if her recent withdrawal from the AHA means she has done an about face and become pro-slaughter?


    1 members found this post helpful.

  18. #418
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2008
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    4,781

    Default

    Every time an alternative is mentioned it is shot down by pro-slaughter people 50 ways to Sunday. Slaughter is a business - to say that it actually benefits horses?? Spittin' in the wind. It really does not. It provides an outlet for bad breeding. The horses that need to be put down - the old, the unfit and the crazy are generally not the ones that get slaughtered for food. Whether you want to admit it or not, drugs are an issue.
    I really don't want to have to deal with a passport. I don't want more government regulation in regards to what I do and do not do with and for my horses. That would open up a whole other can of worms.
    You can "IF" the whole thing to death as well - IF it were humane - IF transport were better/shorter.
    All other food animals are now taking a longer ride as well. So what's really going to change???

    Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Angela...ALL of us are still waiting for YOUR solution for 150,000 horses over 12 months..that the slaughter industry would remove from the chain.

    Pro slaughter ARE looking for alternatives as slaughter is just one small piece of the puzzle.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  19. #419
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2011
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Angela, Let's just admit the obvious: If the slaughterhouses would just take a piece of your hearthorse during processing and make it into a bracelet bead or a necklace charm, you would be happy and actually support slaughter. Most raras believe in anthropomorphism and just want something to remember their 'friend' with.



  20. #420
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    14,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    Angela, Let's just admit the obvious: If the slaughterhouses would just take a piece of your hearthorse during processing and make it into a bracelet bead or a necklace charm, you would be happy and actually support slaughter. Most raras believe in anthropomorphism and just want something to remember their 'friend' with.
    You guys need to come up with something better than the namecalling and sarcasm.


    JGHIRETIRE- your post is 100% correct.
    All these pro slaughter posts are just lies/misleading.

    1) Myth- What else will we do with old, crippled horses?-
    Fact- The horses being slaughtered are young and healthy. KB are not buying emaciated horses in danger of starving.
    2) Myth- Horses will be abandoned-
    Fact-KB's have dumped/abandoned over 5000 horses rejected from crossing the border last yr in the desert outside of the POE to MX.

    3) myth- Horses will be left to starve like the big starvation cases we've seen.
    Fact- Slaughter doesn't reduce neglect/abuse- The largest horse neglect case in TX was just outside Dallas when Dallas Crowne was open. They were owned by a VET, who surely had access to slaughter or euth. In addition, when cavel shut down for 2 yrs, horse abuse cases dropped in the surrounding area.

    4) Myth- We need to be able to get one last use from horses.
    Fact- You can get one last use if you shoot and eat them yourself, donate to a vet school, hunt or big cat sanctuary, make them in to a carbon piece of jewelry, stuff and mount them in your living rm as a piece of furniture, have the body rendered, or compost them.

    5) Myth- It's bad for the environment if you don't send to slaughter.
    Fact- You can compost, cremate, make into jewelry, donate to hunt, big cat sanctuary, or vet school. Plus SH normally have a huge amount of EPA violations/environmental impact.

    6)Myth- People can't afford vet euth-
    Fact- There are euth clinics. Or a bullet is cheap, and if they are that hard up, they can shoot and eat him themselves since they probably can't afford meat purchases for the month.

    7) Myth- Dead is dead.
    Fact- True. But it's how they get to where they are killed, and how they are killed that's the issue.

    8) Myth- Things are different now. We'll be better.
    Fact- If they wanted to improve, they would have done it before the 3 SH in US shut down. They had more motivating them then. And they would have everyone with humane violations/EPA fines/court fines pay them as a show of good faith. And you would have 24 hr video from the SH streamed to the internet so people could see how humane the process is, not enacting Ag Gag laws to prevent anyone from seeing the process. They would have some plans for enforcing transport violations/humane handling violations.

    9) Myth- We give cattle the same drugs as horses. There's no difference.
    Fact- Unless cattle are being given Bute because they strained something while playing on the mountains of manure, while they cavort around happily in feedlots, I doubt they are being given the same drugs as horses. And if they are getting Bute it's being done illegally.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016


    3 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Horse boarding bill in the NY Senate
    By SMF11 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Feb. 28, 2013, 05:55 PM
  2. Senate hearing--drugs in horse racing
    By charismaryllis in forum Racing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jul. 25, 2012, 07:17 AM
  3. Replies: 27
    Last Post: Jun. 26, 2012, 03:30 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jan. 29, 2011, 06:41 PM
  5. Leased horse: owner's signature on entry form?
    By deltawave in forum Eventing
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Feb. 5, 2010, 02:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness