The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Default Horse Slaughter Ban Lifted by Oklahoma Senate -- Needs Gov Signature -- YOU can help!

FYI - the Oklahoma State Senate has passed an act to repeal the horse slaughter ban in the State of Oklahoma! PLEASE take the time to call the office of Governor Mary Fallin (405) 523-1342 - leave a message w/receptionist (be polite!) voicing your opposition to the repeal of this ban. The way these animals are transported, handled and killed is inappropriate, cruel and inhumane. Horses are NOT for consumption! Governor Fallin has expressed a keen interest in this phone poll which will greatly influence her decision to sign or not sign this into law! You can also call the message line and leave your message opposing this repeal after hours - 405-522-8857. You can also send the Governor an email on the subject -- PLEASE do so! Most of the horses killed are young and viable -- it's a disgrace! Please email and share so that her office can be inundated with this information! Thank you!

You may want this -- but it is sickening and disgusting as far as I am concerned. So many of these horses aren't killed by that damned bolt and are aware they are being literally eviscerated while alive! NO HORSE DESERVES THIS SORT OF DEATH!
    PennyG

7 members found this post helpful.

Oh boy.

Waiter? Better make that a double...
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

22 members found this post helpful.

Interesting article in Saddle Up Feb 2013. The Rescue Epidemic. They state that in 2011 89348 horses were processed in the slaughter plants (Canada).

It is how the horse "gets" dead rather than what it is used for after death.

Perhaps you are repeating Mexican stories but your stories are not relevant in Canada.

Since you are concerned about transportation, and Okalahoma is closer to Mexico than Canada...it might be kinder to have a regulated facility in Oklahoma.

Cuban Cane Rum...straight up...water chaser...yeah..make it a double

26 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    FYI - the Oklahoma State Senate has passed an act to repeal the horse slaughter ban in the State of Oklahoma! PLEASE take the time to call the office of Governor Mary Fallin (405) 523-1342 - leave a message w/receptionist (be polite!) voicing your opposition to the repeal of this ban. The way these animals are transported, handled and killed is inappropriate, cruel and inhumane. Horses are NOT for consumption! Governor Fallin has expressed a keen interest in this phone poll which will greatly influence her decision to sign or not sign this into law! You can also call the message line and leave your message opposing this repeal after hours - 405-522-8857. You can also send the Governor an email on the subject -- PLEASE do so! Most of the horses killed are young and viable -- it's a disgrace! Please email and share so that her office can be inundated with this information! Thank you!

You may want this -- but it is sickening and disgusting as far as I am concerned. So many of these horses aren't killed by that damned bolt and are aware they are being literally eviscerated while alive! NO HORSE DESERVES THIS SORT OF DEATH!
    PennyG
    Just think, maybe it would make more sense to work on getting excellent regulations passed and money to enforce them, with big consequences for those that break them, if that is your objection to slaughter?

When the horse slaughter plants were open in TX, I know plenty of good traders that took excellent care of their horses and how they hauled them, all the way to the slaughter plant doors.

I think you are being misled by animal rights extremist stories of some abuses and blindly following those, without thinking this thru.

That would be like wanting to ban all police officers, because "look at those videos of what those mean police officers do, they beat people all the time!"

There is nothing inherently wrong with slaughtering SOME horses and using the large, renewable, natural resource those horses can be for us once dead.
    There is no difference, dead is dead, in animal control euthanizing unwanted horses, at society's cost, as we are headed to now, like we do dogs and cats, or those horses being processed in a slaughter plant and so we make those horses a valuable asset one more time.
    No sense in wasting all that and having to dispose of the equally dead horse as a toxic substance.

Remember, that is not YOUR horse we are talking about, but those many horses out there no one wants for any other purpose, are going to be dead anyway.
    NO one is demanding no horse be wasted once dead, you still can do what you want with yours.

When it comes to the abuse card animal rights extremist groups use for their propaganda, we need to be smart to understand that for what it is, propaganda to further their agenda of eventually eliminating all uses of horses, slaughter the low hanging fruit, an easy target.

There are, as in all we do in life, somewhere, someone, abusing ANY we do, including slaughter, sadly.
    Lets be sensible and work on banning abuses, work on making the process of slaughter as fool proof as we can, not banning it.

22 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Oh boy.

Waiter? Better make that a double...
    "I'll have what she's having"
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

3 members found this post helpful.

Is it 5 o'clock already?

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    It is how the horse "gets" dead rather than what it is used for after death.
    Yes!
    Sheilah

5 members found this post helpful.

Please support the horses by calling to support the repeal of this bill. Then there can be slaughter in the U.S. with U.S. regulation.
    I support equine meat processing as an option for those who choose to use it.

10 members found this post helpful.

So the fact that there is no slaughter ban to lift is irrelevant?

11 members found this post helpful.

I just cracked open a bottle of wine, and it's only 9 AM here...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by wonderhorseguy View Post
    Please support the horses by calling to support the repeal of this bill. Then there can be slaughter in the U.S. with U.S. regulation.
    We HAD slaughter in the US w/ US and EU regulations... and it was done no better than it is in Canada and in the EU Mexican plants now.

It's not about the location, it's not about what species people are eating... it's about the process not being conducted in a manner suited to horses [ie running them through cattle plants], and the cruelty at every step of the process, and it's about all the un-enforced regulations that those in the industry flagrantly ignored for decades and the still unpaid fines that don't get collected, therefore do not serve as the deterrent they are supposed to be.

The industry can keep pleading that they learned their lesson, they will comply if we please, please, please let them open a plant... and we can choose to not believe them based on past horrific behavior that we know about [frozen popsicle horses anyone?]

ETA: if the industry wants to show that they ARE changed, that they WILL enforce new laws that will govern how these new/re-opened plants will run, a good faith gesture would be to collect all old fines that are unpaid, and to prosecute those who have been caught breaking regulations. But I will not hold my breath for that one.

It's also about the fact that US horses, assuming it would be US horses run through a US plant [as you are citing proximity being the driving force to having a US plant] are not traceable, and the drugs they've been given not verifiable... thus the meat not being something humans should be consuming, per USDA regulations, not to mention EU regulations.
    Last edited by Angela Freda; Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling

9 members found this post helpful.

I wonder what they think their market will be.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    We HAD slaughter in the US w/ US and EU regulations... and it was done no better than it is in Canada and in the EU Mexican plants now.
    Please quote or direct me to your sources for that statement

Much has changed over the past few years.

New plants will be able to meet new standards.

There is a new type of gun now in the final rounds of testing. I have been told it should be ready to go by October of this year.

Nothing is ever 100%. Even a vet euthanizing a horse, or a pet can go wrong

6 members found this post helpful.

There is a new type of gun now in the final rounds of testing. I have been told it should be ready to go by October of this year.

As you are notorious for not posting your sources, I'll offer to post mine when you post yours.

1 members found this post helpful.

If you really care about horses, please support the opening of new, well regulated slaughter plants, in as many states as possible. The more plants we have, the less trauma on these poor horses, and the less horses that end up suffering months or years of starvation & neglect.

33 members found this post helpful.

YES!!!!

Horse Slaughter Ban Lifted by Oklahoma Senate -- Needs Gov Signature -- YOU can help! Call the Governor and tell him to ..... SIGN THE BILL

8 members found this post helpful.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Years and years ago, I used to buy the orphan foals from the local kill plant. Once, after paying for some foals, I got turned around and walked through the wrong door, straight into the kill chamber. It was clean and quiet, except for the clanking of the equipment and other things. The horses standing outside, waiting, were just standing there. There wasn't any histrionics of any horse, no frenzied neighing or kicking or fighting, except when some studs were in the same pen.

I was there several times over the course of a year, not to mention a friend and other friends who bought the foals. The horses were fed up in big corrals or put on pasture to fatten up.

The only downside I saw was one guy who thought it was funny a foal was ran over by some big horses. He was there and then he was gone the next time I was there.

The owners wife actually showed QH's only she never would tell where her horses came from....?? Read between the lines there. HA!

I've seen the horrific vid from Mexico of the horse being stabbed but, from what I understand now, there are regulated slaughterhouses in Mexico, which I didn't know. The vid I saw was from one which wasn't.

Annnnnddd....lastly, where are these horses supposed to go if they can't be fed by the owners? I know I can't take on anymore and people I know are trying to give horses away. I've turned down about four in the last month.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadien View Post
    If you really care about horses, please support the opening of new, well regulated slaughter plants, in as many states as possible. The more plants we have, the less trauma on these poor horses.
    Yes!

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Years and years ago, I used to buy the orphan foals from the local kill plant. Once, after paying for some foals, I got turned around and walked through the wrong door, straight into the kill chamber. It was clean and quiet, except for the clanking of the equipment and other things. The horses standing outside, waiting, were just standing there. There wasn't any histrionics of any horse, no frenzied neighing or kicking or fighting, except when some studs were in the same pen.

I was there several times over the course of a year, not to mention a friend and other friends who bought the foals. The horses were fed up in big corrals or put on pasture to fatten up.

The only downside I saw was one guy who thought it was funny a foal was ran over by some big horses. He was there and then he was gone the next time I was there.

The owners wife actually showed QH's only she never would tell where her horses came from....?? Read between the lines there. HA!

I've seen the horrific vid from Mexico of the horse being stabbed but, from what I understand now, there are regulated slaughterhouses in Mexico, which I didn't know. The vid I saw was from one which wasn't.

Annnnnddd....lastly, where are these horses supposed to go if they can't be fed by the owners? I know I can't take on anymore and people I know are trying to give horses away. I've turned down about four in the last month.
    Right, slaughter is like any other we do, most do a good job, some don't and those are working against regulations and hopefully caught and punished.

Those that are up in arms do so with misinformation from animal rights extremist groups propaganda videos, just as using a police beating video can brand all police as abusers.
    Hopefully a bit of clear thinking should tell us different.