The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So is there any hope that a goat would stay behind hot tape?

Title says it all. Hoping to help a friend out for a couple of months with a goat and a lamb. Had goats a long time ago with no climb fencing, but I only have hot tape now with the ponies. The horses only test it when the grass is greener on the other side, and right now there's hay inside and snow out. I don't remember the goats being entertained so easily.

It's not going to work, is it?

I think I have heard the phrase "if it doesn't hold water, it won't hold a goat"

I don't have goats but my good friend does. They are not interested in "grass" and pasture like our horses. So, that is a challenge even in the good weather - the goats like underbrush, weeds, gardens, ornamental shrubs, etc.

What kind of goat? Maybe if it's a larger one it will have difficulty getting over the tape? My friend has Nubians and she said that while they were very agile as adolescents, as full-sized does they are less interesting in scaling fences and jumping out. So if they are large goats, it might work.

Maybe re-post on Around the Farm forum if you don't get enough responses here.

I have one young tentative doe that won't touch a piece of electric tape no matter how long its been dead.

And then I have a fat young wether that will shred electric in two seconds and go where he wants.

Doe is Saanan, wether is a nubian mutt PITA.

What has worked for me with goats and electric is to stage it so the goat goes through several levels of punishment before reaching the end. And in desperation, we've attached a hook to a collar so that the dang goat gets hooked on the fence and can't go further.. yeah, the wether didn't care. Doe wouldn't do it once.

Eh do what we do in the Caribbean and tie them out. I remember summers in Tobago when my uncle would don gum boots and machete and go out into the bush to move the goats.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

1 members found this post helpful.

Yeah... what Paulaedwina said... if it's just a couple of months and not stock you intend to keep forever- tie them out, and maybe make a small pen with 4 hog panels and a shelter to put them up overnight or in a stall if you have room in the barn.

Premier fencing has really great panels that join together.

http://www.premier1supplies.com/deta...380&cat_id=178

They aren't cheap but they sure are wonderful. I have used them for separating sheep and goats and have one panel across my feed area. My horse leans on it, my minis rub their bums on it and no one has bent or broken it in five years.

Five strand hot rope works fine for me and the seven goats. They are boer type goats so they're pretty big. Maybe a small goat would be more of a problem though.

While I'm sure it's worked for many people, (just like tying a horse works for many people), tying a goat can and does sometimes end quite badly.

A goat must be trained to electric fence, it must be one heck of a shock, and even then....it depends on the goat. I have goats who will completely respect electric, and goats who laugh at all types of fencing.
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

2 members found this post helpful.

My neighbor used to tie his goats out periodically to let them eat down plants the horses wouldn't. Neighbor here ties his out like the ponies he sometimes ties out in my back yard (better than lawn mowing and free fertilizer). They are rarely dumb enough to get themselves into too much trouble when tied properly (ie not to a tree.)

They're also rarely foiled by fencing for long unless you luck into one who gets himself good and terrified by a shock from the hot tape/wire. Or you have a LOT of tape. Like a wire mesh fence that's completely electrified. Goats are really really good at squeezing under, around, over, or through things.

Nope!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

In my experience.... nope.

What kind of goat?

FWIW I had 3 goats (2 Boer mixes and a Nubian) and they all respected three strand rope which was spaced fairly closely together.

They were homebodies though, didn't like to go too far so perhaps that helped.

So in a word, YES, there is hope.

Thanks guys! The critters arrive Sunday morning...keeping hope, but I do have a backup plan

My neighbor runs six strands of 7K volt high tensile and has no problems with his goats getting loose.

StG

It depends on the voltage of the charger. They need a really strong shock to discourage them trying to go through. They will need training though. If you leave them to figure it out, they will be under/through before getting the shock. Put something on the fence to encourage them to reach out to it so they learn it will bite. Do this with each goat on a leash just like you would a dog being trained to invisible fence.

Maybe to be certain they respect it, tie each one near the fence to see if they still go under/through. Make sure they can't get tangled with each other. Keep an eye on them while they are tied near the fence in case they do go under or get tangled around a post or something.