The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Red Hills and EHV1

Any thoughts on how the cases of EHV1 in Ocala might affect (or is it effect?) Red Hills? Fingers crossed for all involved

Competition is the LAST THING a horse owner in that area should be thinking about. Taking temps four times a day, and staying home, should be the first thing.
    EHV-1 seems to pick one unfortunate region after another each winter!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

3 members found this post helpful.

I was wondering the same thing and talking to my trainer about it last night - I expect we'll hear an announcement one way or another over the weekend/early next week.

FWIW, while I understand that many from the affected area of FL will be in Tallahassee, this is a different area of FL and thus far we have NO cases of EHV1 in North FL (as opposed to Central FL where Ocala is).

I will say that if Red Hills runs, I will be ultra picky about equipment and who has access to my boy... and I can easily say that the organizers if they run Red Hills will prob require very current health certs and/or checking temps coming onto competition grounds.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Quote Originally Posted by acottongim View Post
    this is a different area of FL and thus far we have NO cases of EHV1 in North FL (as opposed to Central FL where Ocala is).
    Which means absolutely nothing, since a huge bulk of the competitors will be coming from the Ocala area. If anything that would make me, both as a competitor and an organizer, more likely to cancel (hey, we're disease-free and we want to keep it that way!). NOT saying that's what will happen but, given that we don't even know what Rocking Horse is doing (announcement expected by 10 am today) and their show is this weekend, speculating about Red Hills seems like undue stress at this point in time. With the laxadaisical approach to quarantining that seems to have taken place at HITS prior to these more recent outbreaks, who knows how many more cases will pop up in the next week's time, which I'm sure will be a huge factor in any decision-making over the next several days.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

1 members found this post helpful.

And I did say that I realized that there would be a large bulk of competitors coming from the Ocala area.... I was just responding to the poster that seemed to imply that all of FL was affected (sure they didn't mean that but many people forget that FL is a huge state and this particular event is in a different region of FL - I've had people emailing me frantic that they think because there is this going on in Ocala that we must be affected also and that isn't true just trying to not add to the stress/angst).
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Best source of information is the Florida Department of Agriculture's website www.freshfromflorida.com

I just returned from competing in Florida (not Ocala) and the requirements/info changed quite a bit over a 36 hour period. Not to mention the rumor mill was rampant.

My trainer is still going, but she is worried, just like I am sure everyone is. She will be bringing bleach to spray down the stall as a precaution, but still, it is a risk since most are coming from ocala/central FL so?

We will see.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Bleach isn't much help with an airborne virus that is carried by most horses anyway.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

2 members found this post helpful.

I just got an email from USEF (I guess because I am a licensed official) that, for Events (and Dressage shows) in Florida, they are modifying the saddlery (bit) inspection process
    As a result of recent confirmed diagnosis of Equine Herpes Virus 1 (EHV-1) in Florida, until further notice, the use of alternative saddlery inspection procedures is authorized for Dressage and Eventing competitions in Florida.

Saddlery inspection protocol is defined in DR121.9 for Dressage Competitions and in EV115.4 for Eventing Competitions. The approved modified inspection protocol follows:
    Stewards should conduct a visual check of the horses, without touching the horse or any equipment. For Dressage competitions, the visual inspection must be upon completion of the respective ride. It is recommended that a steward be available at designated times so that competitors (if requested by the steward) may bring their bridles and equipment for further inspection once removed from the horse.

Competitions and Officials will be notified when normal protocol for saddlery and equipment inspections must be resumed. Saddlery and equipment inspections are required (see DR 121.9 and EV115.4) for all Dressage and Eventing competitions outside of Florida.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Maybe I'm just stupid, but the maximum incubation period for EVH is supposed to be 21 days. And the event is March 8-10. One would hope that all the Red Hills horses from Ocala would have been on a form of quarantine from Feb. 20, 21, when the positive was announced. So we have a timeframe of only 14 days from the first announcement to the first horse inspection. So if any of the Ocala event horses just happened to show at HITS in the previous week, would their owners bring them? Would they be so self centered that they would risk spreading such a potentially catastrophic disease just to ride in an event?

Surely no one would bring a horse who had been to one of the quarantined farms or HITS within the incubation period, would they?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I think one concern is owners/riders/trainers not knowing that their horse has been exposed. Maybe your horse has been around a horse who was around a horse that was at HITS. How would you know? HITS did not do a good job limiting movement of horses on the show grounds, as I understand it. It seems some horses left the show grounds, as late as either yesterday or today, and are going to wherever. Good luck keeping track of all horses that MAY have been exposed.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Maybe I'm just stupid, but the maximum incubation period for EVH is supposed to be 21 days. And the event is March 8-10. One would hope that all the Red Hills horses from Ocala would have been on a form of quarantine from Feb. 20, 21, when the positive was announced. So we have a timeframe of only 14 days from the first announcement to the first horse inspection. So if any of the Ocala event horses just happened to show at HITS in the previous week, would their owners bring them? Would they be so self centered that they would risk spreading such a potentially catastrophic disease just to ride in an event?

Surely no one would bring a horse who had been to one of the quarantined farms or HITS within the incubation period, would they?
    One would hope, but there is always the few people who are too selfish to make responsible decisions.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Taken from the rhht.org website:

Dear Red Hills Competitors,
    We are closely monitoring the course of EHV-1 that emerged at HITS in Ocala, FL, last week. While we are all duly concerned and watching the situation very closely, there is no cause for panic over the few cases that have been diagnosed. The confirmed cases have not been of the neurological strain. Although several farms in Florida, from Ocala south, have been placed under quarantine, Florida State Veterinarian Dr. Mike Short assures me that we do not need to take drastic measures with regard to the running of Red Hills.
    We will take every precaution possible to safeguard your horses. We will require a 72-hour veterinary health certificate for each horse coming into the Park. We are prepared with a quarantine barn in the event of any suspicious horse. We have a terrific team of veterinarians in place should any horse require attention. BUT, if you have any concerns about the health of your horse, please be judicious and err on the side of caution.
    We ask that each of you monitor our website for updates, but I will communicate with you directly if any change occurs.
    While I have your attention, each division from CIC*** down through OI, will ride 2009 Dressage Test A. All Prelim divisions will ride Test C...20 X 60 arena. Please be advised.
    We look forward to having all of you with us next weekend.
    All the best,
    Jane

So a 72 hour health cert...

There are a LOT of eventers who were at HITS in past few weeks. Hoping none of them come down with it. But not holding breath.
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post

They've had about 100 scratches for Rocking Horse this weekend and at least one chunk of that is a barn that was at HITS in the month of Feb and didn't want to chance it. So at least some people are being conscious of others and their horses. I imagine that people will be fairly anti-social at both shows, if they go at all. DH stables at Rocking Horse through the winter, so he will show there, but I don't think he'll be making any unnecessary trips off the property with the horse until he leaves FL.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

I was part of the large chunk of people that scratched from Rocking Horse this weekend, and I actually started thinking about scratching when I heard that Florida Dept of Ag was going to let HITS keep running.

When I lived in Maryland the barn I boarded at had an outbreak of EHV-1 and the Maryland Dept of Ag had us quarantined about an hour after the vet reported it to them (we were also more of a lesson barn than a show barn).
    We had about 70 horses living on the property and we were quarantined for a total of 11 weeks, with 15 confirmed cases and 6 deaths. Despite strict bio-safety practices we still had the virus in both of our barns, and the barns are separated by about 80ft.

So far none of the horses are neurological, thank goodness, but if they don't get their stuff together soon it could get a lot worse.
    Chrissy

RIP Beaming Sportsfield (1998-2012)

4 members found this post helpful.

This is a pretty big deal, I'm surprised it's not getting more attention here with all the Eventers travelling around (and yes I realize there are a lot of scratches at Red Hills). I'm not competing right now but I am interested in what's going on as this was a big deal out here (Colorado/Utah) a year or so ago. Jingles to all the H/J crowd that were down there.
    Ready ~ 1999-2009 ~ you were bigger than life!
    Stickers ~ 1985-2011 ~ Cody's BFF
    I miss you both very much!

Default Red Hills

I would venture to guess that most of the Eventers in Ocala have been to HITS in and around the time period that this all began. I am disappointed to see Rocking Horse running at all. The riders who have self quarantined their barns and withdrawn from the show are to be commended for responsible horsemanship.Those riders/owners who are still insisting their horses go are foolish. There isn't a show out there that requires competing until this is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Newby View Post
    I would venture to guess that most of the Eventers in Ocala have been to HITS in and around the time period that this all began. I am disappointed to see Rocking Horse running at all. The riders who have self quarantined their barns and withdrawn from the show are to be commended for responsible horsemanship.Those riders/owners who are still insisting their horses go are foolish. There isn't a show out there that requires competing until this is over.
    There's quite a few riders who actually board at Rocking Horse over the winter. (I was with one of those barns last winter). I think a lot of those riding this weekend are those winter boarders, who are on the property regardless.

And there are people showing at RH who have been at HITS, not stabled at RH.. But really, in Ocala, you risk just putting them in a trailer and going anywhere. We were picking a mare up from vet, for colic, so now we have her quarentined. But, driving down 27, we were stopped at a light, beside another trailer, fully loaded. It is so contagious, that can be enough. Ocala is probably, frankly, one of the worst places for this to happen. How its been handled may well end up being tragic.
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com