The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    I could, 'cuz I did it in the '70's and 80's, and still have the bridle (with silver of course) and the silver engraved shank bit, with a copper port.

I've always thought one of my dressage mares is the reincarnation of my successful QH trail horse. We could do this no problem.
    I am guessing then it would be me and you. ;-)

It would be REALLY easy with a snaffle and two hands.

I suspect this was a younger horse that is not finished since he is still carrying the bosal.

You'd have to give points for the average DQs mount entering a ring that contained a bovine.

Working Equitation classes only involve real live fire breathing bovine stock in international events. I would like to see DQs, and their cutesy pootsy mounts, in a pen with live stock

How droll.

I guess I don't understand why you want to tell people what sports they should enjoy with their horses. Again I ask "why?"

Our horses are used to seeing cattle ,sheep, dogs chickens deer etc etc every day but is there some reason I must do cattle sorting if I prefer some other discipline?

Don't believe me that Dressagers are claiming both preeminence and superiority?
    I haven't read all the threads but I do notice on this thread that you and Equibrit are putting down another discipline in a particularly snide manner.

3 members found this post helpful.

Comparisons between the disciplines eventually take on the character of that old "Who would win, Bruce Lee or Joe Frazier?" question, and the answer for both is the same: "It depends."

The "best" discipline? Well:

(1) That best suits the horse tempermentally/conformationally.
    (2) The one he shows he likes and has talent for.
    (3) The one that appeals to you enough to stick with it.

Of course, I'm a big fan of cross-pollination; I don't believe one has to be a "pure" anything. Trail-ride your dressage horse. By all means show him some livestock. Try some dressage figures with your WP horse even if he has a different frame. Ride a "gaited dressage" test with your Walker for fun. Take your Arab or show hunter to an elementary Event or teach your fox hunter to drive. There are no "points off" for a happy, interested horse!

Today, if I were going to pick the "Best" discipline? It would be the one that the individual horse in question can stay sound doing the longest.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    MVP, as my claiming dressage as being superior (preeminence and superiority)? Really? How so? For the record I'm the one railing against snobbery.Paula
    Maybe it's your tendency to employ the royal "we".

4 members found this post helpful.

MVP, as my claiming dressage as being superior (preeminence and superiority)? Really? How so? For the record I'm the one railing against snobbery.Paula
    You have your own form of snobbery as do mvp and Equibrit.

That chip must get heavy.

4 members found this post helpful.

I may indeed. It may be that I have an attitude about certain dressage stereotypes. I readily admit that. However, MVP used my quote to show an attitude of snobbery with regards to dressage and I would like to point out, that indeed if anything the opposite is true. As you say. That only reinforces my point that s/he incorrectly interpreted my post.

Let me just say that chip is not without justification. Look back in the thread at the poster who said that the only dressage judges who would want to judge a jog or a lope would be hard up for work.

Paua
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Look back in the thread at the poster who said that the only dressage judges who would want to judge a jog or a lope would be hard up for work.
    So one person said that. SHould we judge everyone on the dressage forum by that?

BY the same token, are all cowboy dressage enthusiasts as nasty as mvp and equibrit about other disciplines?

Probably not?

No, you're right. And the reasonable part of me completely accepts that, and even understands the dynamics of prejudice. But there's that emotional bit that sometimes gets all chippy. Y'know. Can't be reasonable all the time. I guess I have to figure out a more effective way of outing intolerance without resorting to intolerance myself.

Paula

Just chiming in here - I actually almost always agree with Paula's, mvp's and sometimes Equibrit's statements. They usually manage to keep the tone of
    vitriole or snobbery out of their posts.

The three (?) posters here with all the negativity show their colours in almost every thread they post on.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by monstrpony View Post
    I've never understood why anyone bothers learning the letters in a dressage arena, especially the order around the outside. I just remember whether to turn right or left at the end of the centerline, and then the rest is a sequence of movements. I remember where on the long side to do what movement (if it isn't obvious from the movement itself), when to cross the diagonal or do a half-diagonal, and know that the test often has a certain symmetry. I can't imagine the kind of mind that would actually learn a dressage test most efficiently by memorizing the sequence of letters at which movements occur. Tho it's entirely possible that I'm the wierd one ...
    When I read a test I visualize the pattern in my head (probably in the right side of my brain) and because I know where the letters are I can picture riding the movements. Once I have ridden and memorized the pattern, the letters are less important, but I still "hear" the letters in my head because they get stuck there from reading the test.

Sometimes the movements from one test to another get mixed up in my brain, and there are similar patterns in different test that vary only by one letter, so it helps me to have the actual letter in my mind as I am crossing the diagonal or preparing for a transition down the long side.

I just listen to the little "voices in my head" -- even though they do lie sometimes.

Thumbs up

No, you're right. And the reasonable part of me completely accepts that, and even understands the dynamics of prejudice. But there's that emotional bit that sometimes gets all chippy. Y'know. Can't be reasonable all the time. I guess I have to figure out a more effective way of outing intolerance without resorting to intolerance myself.

Thumbs up!

I actually almost always agree with Paula's, mvp's and sometimes Equibrit's statements. They usually manage to keep the tone of
    vitriole or snobbery out of their posts.
    RIGHT! Clearly they are very accepting and open minded about other disciplines!

BECAUSE the horses trained for war (dressage horses) damn well should show some ability to do useful work during peacetime (as stock horses do).

Oh, and the hoity toits sitting on top of the dumbed down war horses also might wanna get some skills rather than rag on the rich tradition of the working ranch horse.

You'd have to give points for the average DQs mount entering a ring that contained a bovine.

Working Equitation classes only involve real live fire breathing bovine stock in international events. I would like to see DQs, and their cutesy pootsy mounts, in a pen with live stock. .]
    Yes, Very nice!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    How droll.

I guess I don't understand why you want to tell people what sports they should enjoy with their horses. Again I ask "why?"

Our horses are used to seeing cattle ,sheep, dogs chickens deer etc etc every day but is there some reason I must do cattle sorting if I prefer some other discipline?

I haven't read all the threads but I do notice on this thread that you and Equibrit are putting down another discipline in a particularly snide manner.
    On the contrary. I would say we are commenting on the ability of the participants. There is no reason that a horse should not be exposed to many disciplines, and every reason why he should. The main reason being that it would make him a better horse. Are you telling me that you would not be impressed by a horse that could perform a good dresage test, go hunting, trail riding, do gymkhana, jump, herd cattle, (add discipline of choice here) with style ? I know I really enjoy enlarging the repertoire, and it is my responsibility to train a horse to be safe and reliable in as many situations as possible.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Actually, mvp & Equibrit, most of my dressage horses HAVE worked cattle. My OTTB was broke in a feedlot. She was great with cattle and you could open and close gates from her back. Lousy racehorse, though. Won a whole $280 in 9 starts.

The next one was an Arab gelding that I talked my rancher cousin into buying, saying " that little Arab is gonna be good for something, Henry". Well, he had plenty of "Cow" in him, but he also had what Cousin Henry called a "lumber wagon trot". Nobody got along with Gallito but me -- and that was because I wasn't averse to posting my way across the ranch! I ended up taking him and training him in dressage -- up to Second Level before his untimely death at 11. He also won his first and only three-phase event.

The next horse was a failure at dressage and scared to death of cattle. Never got her over her dread of the Longhorn calf that had free run at one of our boarding places. A connection, maybe?

The one I've got now is an imported Hanoverian who's in LOVE with the BO's Angus cow and calf. Prior to this BO had four head of cows. For something different to do we'd quietly move them from corner to corner of the pasture. Figgy thought that was pretty cool.

There are several dressage riders here who have done more than "just dressage". As a kid with no money, the horses I got to work with for jumping and dressage were right off the ranch. Versatile beasts! Not every horse will take to working cattle well. And not every horse is well-suited for traditional dressage, either.

1 members found this post helpful.

RE: RIGHT! Clearly they are very accepting and open minded about other disciplines

Actually I am. I tend to be a bit of a disciplines whore willing to try anything interesting that comes down the pike. In fact I tend to be taken to task for that. Please take care whom you accuse.

Paula

I'm not trying to sound snarky or aggressive, but until recently I boarded at one of the top reining / WCH facilities in the nation ... and their show horses were much more "diva" than many top dressage horses. Talk about pampered And although they competedin reined cow, reining, and open bridle, none of those horses actually engaged in any kind of ranch work outside the show pen. So to say that dressage horses are dumbed down war horses seems a bit over the top. Horse shows, regardless of discipline, are an idealised representation of a given activity.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post

You've taken a weight off my mind. Now I have to figure out why I thought we couldn't use dressage judges. I want to take fella to the Friesian show in Lexington at the end of the year and was under the impression the competition wasn't being judged by a TD judge....

Paula
    I have a question, Paula. Does this Friesian show offer open classes in dressage? AFAIK, Fella's not a Friesian.

Well paula, if you look closely, I did not quote you or accuse you in response to that quote from foxtrot's (sic) .

I only quoted the other 2 mentioned . Again with the chip.

Indeed, Fella is not a Friesian, but it's one of the shows on WDAA that has Western Dressage competition that is open to all breeds. It's as close to where I live as any of the shows come this year -3 hours away.

October 2-6, 2013
    The IFSHA World and National Grand Championship
    International Friesian Show Horse Association
    Virginia Horse Center - Lexington, VA
    www.ifshaworld.com

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    Actually, mvp & Equibrit, most of my dressage horses HAVE worked cattle. My OTTB was broke in a feedlot. She was great with cattle and you could open and close gates from her back. Lousy racehorse, though. Won a whole $280 in 9 starts.

Versatile beasts! Not every horse will take to working cattle well. And not every horse is well-suited for traditional dressage, either.
    We work cattle with our (young) dressage horses too! Cool I'm glad I'm not the only one.