The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    So this is not part of the Western Dressage? Is Cowboy Dressage yet another 'discipline'?

And what the heck is this horse is having for a bit? with a tie-down?

The movement, the training behind this horse, the pattern. It shows nothing related to dressage. I don't even see why there are letters around the arena.

Is Dressage the new fancy word of the day?
    I did some reading on it, and evidently Cowboy Dressage is a licensed / trademarked ... "discipline." Their slogan is "When dressage suits your needs, but a Stetson suit your lifestyle." I'm still not sure how it differs from competitive trail. It looks like an activity that's neither fish nor fowl.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    Well these tests certainly look more interesting for the spectators than a normal dressage test.
    Cool chaps.
    Turn off the dramatic music and ... yawn. But everyone knows that those who are interested in dressage aren't normal.

I do not believe he is using a tiedown. That is a pencil bosel under the bridle with a mecate attached. (Vaquero style)

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    That's a trail class, not western dressage.
    It's not supposed to be western dressage, it's cowboy dressage: http://www.cowboydressage.com/

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    I think it's too bad that we don't use Traditional Dressage judges in Western Dressage competition, and instead look to train Western judges to understand purity of gaits, etc. in the dressage tradition. To me that's not efficient use of resources. A TD judge is suited to judging gaits right now regardless of whether it is TD or WD as far as I am concerned.
    Do you really think a dressage judge would be interested in watching jogging and loping... unless they were desperate for work?

By the way, Mike, are you aware that there's a western forum now?

3 members found this post helpful.

Year before last we were looking into the Ranch Style classes for a cutting mare and it looks a lot like this this but why would you want to put a horse like that in front of a dressage judge?

I would have only fit up to do the class in front of a judge with credentials and who actually have judged cow horses and such before....

If people took their dressage horses over to pleasure land and they were all placed lower for any "knee action" same as pleasure horses are it would be all backwards lol.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Do you really think a dressage judge would be interested in watching jogging and loping... unless they were desperate for work?

Yeah, that didn't sound stuck up at all.

Anyway to answer the question. Regardless of the sport, if one is judging gaits and the purity of the gait, impulsion, straightness, submission, etc, then I would love the judge to be one who has developed that eye over time. It would help any discipline looking for those qualities. It would take Western Dressage further faster than having to train our own judges from the beginning. Heck a mentoring of WD judges by dressage judges would awesome. I don't think that kind of trained eye is going to be stymied by cow horses with lower knee action. Because of course, quality of gaits, straightness, impulsion, submission, collection, etc. is not a question of knee action.

And I do not think, for the most part, a dressage judge would look askance at jogging and loping and turn his nose up unless it's the kind of dressage judge that shows all kinds of prejudice, for example, the ones vocally sneer at non-warmbloods presuming to ride dressage. In that case nobody needs them, not even traditional dressage.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

5 members found this post helpful.

I think it's too bad that we don't use Traditional Dressage judges in Western Dressage competition, and instead look to train Western judges to understand purity of gaits, etc. in the dressage tradition. To me that's not efficient use of resources. A TD judge is suited to judging gaits right now regardless of whether it is TD or WD as far as I am concerned.

Paula
    But..but...we DO use "Traditional Dressage Judges" to judge WD. So far, they're the ones with the credentials to judge a dressage test. AFAIK, the plan is to train judges from the Western world to judge Western dressage.

I attended a WDAA "Train the Trainers" forum and we all "practice judged" tests. It starts there.

I enjoy helping Western riders in lessons. Riding is riding. I had a damned hard time wrapping my head around the differently defined gaits, though. "Lengthened jog", "extended "lope", that sort of thing. At least they insist on clean gaits, no "tralks" or "tropes".

Do we? Wonderful. I stand corrected. I thought there was some separation that had happened recently.

Thank you so much for correcting my misunderstanding of it because I was sorely disappointed when I thought that wouldn't happen.

You've taken a weight off my mind. Now I have to figure out why I thought we couldn't use dressage judges. I want to take fella to the Friesian show in Lexington at the end of the year and was under the impression the competition wasn't being judged by a TD judge....

Anyway, thank you so much for clarifying.

Can I pm you?
    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Sure. Why not?

Regardless of the sport, if one is judging gaits and the purity of the gait, impulsion, straightness, submission, etc, then I would love the judge to be one who has developed that eye over time. It would help any discipline looking for those qualities. It would take Western Dressage further faster than having to train our own judges from the beginning.
    Paula, are you aware that western riding and judging in this country has a much longer tradition than the relatively new foreign import of dressage?

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    But..but...we DO use "Traditional Dressage Judges" to judge WD.
    Same here. Usually r judges or L graduates judge both traditional and western dressage classes. This is for schooling shows. No WD at recognized shows here that I know of.

ETA -- I watched about 2 minutes of that test. Looked like a western equitation class combined with trail. But he would have been eliminated for two-handing the bit when he came up center line.

Yeah. who knows how WD will evolve? They have at least three organizations vying to be "THE ONE" -- Cowboy Dressage being one of them. Then there's WDAA and NAWD, I think. All have slightly different mission statements.

Eventually, they may have their own recognized shows and their own licensed judges. Quite possibly with crossovers from traditional dressage...

Maybe somebody will develop stock classes for dressage horses. That I would love to see. (I don't mean WE either)
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

why

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    Paula, are you aware that western riding and judging in this country has a much longer tradition than the relatively new foreign import of dressage?
    And this has to do with the topic - how?
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

As to the bastardization of Dressage. Heck, I don't think they went to war in top hats and tails, and let alone with a cavalry of mostly women. And I as I understand it, dressage competition (the content of the tests) itself hasn't been static so what is bastardization?

Paula
    No, the content of the tests has not been static, but the tests have evolved based on the same fundamentals. What are the fundamentals of this new movement? Were they even based on dressage as most of us know it?

Bastardization of dressage to me is riding a pattern in an arena with letters on a horse that doesn't have clear gaits in a shank bit. I have absolutely no problem if doing such things makes one happy, I just wish they'd find another name for it.

2 members found this post helpful.

I noticed they added a lot of extra letters and extra markers to the arena

J N Q Y

I would never be able to memorize this.

All that white plastic crap just clutters up the arena. I'd rather see the traditional trail obstacles -- much more colorful. But then I guess they wouldn't be able to call it "dressage" ...

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Maybe somebody will develop stock classes for dressage horses. That I would love to see. (I don't mean WE either)
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    why
    Is that a serious question?

I'll assume it is and invite y'all to turn down the volume for the short rant that follows.

BECAUSE the horses trained for war (dressage horses) damn well should show some ability to do useful work during peacetime (as stock horses do).

Oh, and the hoity toits sitting on top of the dumbed down war horses also might wanna get some skills rather than rag on the rich tradition of the working ranch horse.

(Not that I could rope diddly.)
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.