The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    I noticed they added a lot of extra letters and extra markers to the arena

J N Q Y

I would never be able to memorize this.

All that white plastic crap just clutters up the arena. I'd rather see the traditional trail obstacles -- much more colorful. But then I guess they wouldn't be able to call it "dressage" ...
    You'd figure out some wacky mnemonic to remember it. For example: Charles Manson Really Behaved Poorly Friday Afternoon King Victor Even Said Ho. That's what I use to memorize the ridiculous letters in Traditional Dressage.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    And this has to do with the topic - how?
    The point about the young/old thing with dressage and western her in the US is that much of this discussion gives priority (in time and inherent worth) to Dressage.

IMO, that's a mistake on both levels.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    You'd figure out some wacky mnemonic to remember it.
    Those mnemonics do nothing to help with patterns, which I why I've never used them. I learned my way around the arena the same way I learned my way around town -- by memorizing landmarks and their names and locations and proximity to one another.

Even though I have a very good sense of direction, I live in the boonies for a reason. All those letters would be too much like city livin'. Yuck!

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Maybe somebody will develop stock classes for dressage horses. That I would love to see. (I don't mean WE either)
    There is something like this. Wish I could remeber what it is called so I could link a video. You see baroque horses doing it and it is REALLY cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ember View Post
    There is something like this. Wish I could remeber what it is called so I could link a video. You see baroque horses doing it and it is REALLY cool.
    ^^ Yep - it's called Working Equitation. Really cool! Some videos and links were posted earlier in the thread

BTW "Hi Ember!" - from Elaine and Fancy
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

1 members found this post helpful.

I've never understood why anyone bothers learning the letters in a dressage arena, especially the order around the outside. I just remember whether to turn right or left at the end of the centerline, and then the rest is a sequence of movements. I remember where on the long side to do what movement (if it isn't obvious from the movement itself), when to cross the diagonal or do a half-diagonal, and know that the test often has a certain symmetry. I can't imagine the kind of mind that would actually learn a dressage test most efficiently by memorizing the sequence of letters at which movements occur. Tho it's entirely possible that I'm the wierd one ...
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thumbs down

Is that a serious question?

I'll assume it is and invite y'all to turn down the volume for the short rant that follows.

BECAUSE the horses trained for war (dressage horses) damn well should show some ability to do useful work during peacetime (as stock horses do).

Oh, and the hoity toits sitting on top of the dumbed down war horses also might wanna get some skills rather than rag on the rich tradition of the working ranch horse.
    What the hay are you raving on about? I don't see anyone ragging on the rich traditions of the working ranch horse but I do see some nasty comments (yours) about dressage and dressage riders.

2 members found this post helpful.

Personally, I hope we do see western dressage do a "bastardization" of dressage, although I wouldn't use such a negative term to describe it. I don't want western dressage to be just traditional dressage in a western saddle. I want western dressage to represent an application of the fundamental principles of dressage to the discipline of western riding. Which would be, in many ways, a return to the traditional vaquero training.

But, I think I am in a tiny minority on this.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    But..but...we DO use "Traditional Dressage Judges" to judge WD. So far, they're the ones with the credentials to judge a dressage test. AFAIK, the plan is to train judges from the Western world to judge Western dressage.

I attended a WDAA "Train the Trainers" forum and we all "practice judged" tests. It starts there.

I enjoy helping Western riders in lessons. Riding is riding. I had a damned hard time wrapping my head around the differently defined gaits, though. "Lengthened jog", "extended "lope", that sort of thing. At least they insist on clean gaits, no "tralks" or "tropes".
    That's a good point, but Cowboy Dressage seems to differ from Western Dressage. Cowboy Dressage -- according to their Website --doesn't follow the training scale (like dressage and WD), but emphasizes the concept of "Soft Feel". Cowboy Dressage also came up with their own dressage arena (the letters are brands, and there are addl letters). ... And the paragraph that I just read explained why and how Cowboy Dressage broke away from Western Dressage. It's actually an interesting read!
    Western Dressage versus Cowboy Dressage

Well current dressage is a bastardization of dressage -all these women riding dressage, for example. My point is that dressage of yesteryear is certainly not what we're seeing today so I'm open to change. WD and CD are not TD, but they all benefit from the education and training that TD aspires to.

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    Those mnemonics do nothing to help with patterns, which I why I've never used them. I learned my way around the arena the same way I learned my way around town -- by memorizing landmarks and their names and locations and proximity to one another.

Even though I have a very good sense of direction, I live in the boonies for a reason. All those letters would be too much like city livin'. Yuck!
    I don't have a good sense of direction and the letters help me otherwise I'm completely disoriented. I need to know that H is in that upper left corner and the one next on the right is C.

I am also the type who has to turn a map in the direction I am going in order to read it.

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy That View Post
    ^^ Yep - it's called Working Equitation. Really cool! Some videos and links were posted earlier in the thread

BTW "Hi Ember!" - from Elaine and Fancy
    I missed those! Now that is working skill! Hey Elaine! Ember and Athena say hi too :P

Memo to Mike : These posts should be on the Western forum, unless you really want to stir up the DQ's
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

When my GP horse gets recovered enough from his injury to compete again, we are SO on this! I can hardly wait. He will think it is the best thing.

How many of you that compete in Training and First level could negotiate this test ONE HANDED with a SHANK BIT?

And if you do not think that is CLASSICAL go look up old pictures from the Spanish Riding School of masters riding upper level movements.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Memo to Mike : These posts should be on the Western forum, unless you really want to stir up the DQ's
    For all those times I have freely admitted to tweaking a nose, Mike has no such desire to fess up to his poo stirring. He likes to throw a fire cracker on an anthill and then come back later to check on the results.

So far, I'm sure he considers this topic a success.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    why
    You'd have to give points for the average DQs mount entering a ring that contained a bovine.

Working Equitation classes only involve real live fire breathing bovine stock in international events. I would like to see DQs, and their cutesy pootsy mounts, in a pen with live stock.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    What the hay are you raving on about? I don't see anyone ragging on the rich traditions of the working ranch horse but I do see some nasty comments (yours) about dressage and dressage riders.
    Don't believe me that Dressagers are claiming both preeminence and superiority? So many threads on W/C Dressage on this forum include comments that clearly rank those in western tack below those riding in dressage saddles.

Here is a sample from just this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    So you'll see muddy gaits in beginning Cowboy Dressage, Traditional Dressage, Western Dressage, Working Equitation, etc. because we all start there. You'll see sucked back horses. We've all experienced the slow trot that's not passage, it's just a slow, btl trot, but it feeeeels sooo coool
    Quote Originally Posted by duecavalle View Post
    I think the interest in dressage from the Western world is great, but I also feel like they are bastardizing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    Do you really think a dressage judge would be interested in watching jogging and loping... unless they were desperate for work?

By the way, Mike, are you aware that there's a western forum now?
    So Mike should take his threads on this hybrid discipline elsewhere?

BTW, I did start a thread on this topic in the Western Forum because I want to learn from folks who are more deeply engaged in that discipline than I.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

MVP,

You read my post,

"So you'll see muddy gaits in beginning Cowboy Dressage, Traditional Dressage, Western Dressage, Working Equitation, etc. because we all start there. You'll see sucked back horses. We've all experienced the slow trot that's not passage, it's just a slow, btl trot, but it feeeeels sooo coool "

as my claiming dressage as being superior (preeminence and superiority)? Really? How so? For the record I'm the one railing against snobbery.

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by 49'er View Post
    Looks like the open trail classes in California from the 70's and 80's.
    Actually it's more like the current AQHA and Arabian trail classes...all poles on the ground....and transistions between obstacles.

The trail classes of the 70's and 80's had water obstacles, tires, real gates, dragging things. Much more fun.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by mjhco View Post
    How many of you that compete in Training and First level could negotiate this test ONE HANDED with a SHANK BIT?
    I could, 'cuz I did it in the '70's and 80's, and still have the bridle (with silver of course) and the silver engraved shank bit, with a copper port.

I've always thought one of my dressage mares is the reincarnation of my successful QH trail horse. We could do this no problem.
    -Amor vincit omnia-