The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Barn Boots

Here's the deal. I'm a the barn a lot. I typically ride in paddock boots and half chaps. I am going from giving lessons to riding, to mucking, to walking in mud and my boots are just not lasting! I bought a cheap pair of paddocks, and the heel broke down (like disintegrated) within 2 months. Then I got a pair of Ropers. I like them because they are comfy and I'm not sore after a day on my feet. BUT the soles just split on them. The upper leather looks great but the sole split. My guess is because they are leather soles and I spend a lot of time getting them wet. I am going to get them resoled but I'd like some ideas for good paddock boots that are comfy to walk on all day and might actually last more than 6 months! I guess if I have to start switching from paddocks to wellies I will but I'd prefer just one pair of boots for the whole day.

Any ideas?

Island of Heart Surrounded by the Sea of Intuition

I love my Dublin Pinnacles. I wear them all day to clean 2 barns on the weekends as well as ride in. My feet don't hurt at all and they are water proof & look good even away from the barn!
    The Love for a Horse is just as Complicated as the Love for another Human being, If you have never Loved a Horse you will Never Understand!!!

I have beat the crap out of my Mountain Horse Richmond field boots for years and they have held up great and are SOOO comfy, especially for tall boots. I also have winter paddocks from them that are going strong. I guess I just like Mountain Horse!
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Ariat Terrain H2Os (the waterproof ones). Work in them, ride in them, tromp through the mud in them. And they are extremely comfortable. My last pair lasted about 6 years! Do make sure they are the waterproof version, as the non-waterproof ones have similar issues with cracking apart around the side of the toe area when they've been wet.

1 members found this post helpful.

I LOVE my Ariat Volant tall boots. They are so comfy!!!!!! I am rough on my boots, and mine look great after 6 months of hard daily wear and tear!

Another vote for Ariat H2Os. Sooo comfortable, I sometimes forget to take them off when I get home! I have plantar fasciitis and these boots have made me 109% sound again! I usually replace them once a year, because they do start losing their waterproof ness. But it is totally worth it!
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    Ariat Terrain H2Os (the waterproof ones). Work in them, ride in them, tromp through the mud in them. And they are extremely comfortable. My last pair lasted about 6 years! Do make sure they are the waterproof version, as the non-waterproof ones have similar issues with cracking apart around the side of the toe area when they've been wet.
    Yeah, I trashed a pair of the non-waterproof ones in less than 6 months

Only had them for a month, so can't talk about their longevity, but I'm in love with my Brit Colt Muck boots. Comfortable, can walk and work in them forever, then jump straight on a horse, impermeable to mud and snow.

Also have a pair of Mountain Horse Rimfrost Riders, although I love them for riding, not so much for barn work, walking, ground work -- they tend to rub at the ankles a bit, and I have had the zippers leak when walking through deep snow.