The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post

[edit]
    Yeah no stones being cast in that statement ...
    <sarcasm>

Whatever happened to polite inquiries rather than
    Step 1) the assumptive slam
    - preferable to be done on a very public forum: nothing like innuendo to improve the plight of animals in need.

Oy veh

I'm always curious how many volunteer hours, the people being so rigorous in their vigilant scrutiny of rescues, have actually done on behalf of local rescue organizations
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Feb. 28, 2013 at 07:28 AM. Reason: to remove personal attack in quote

7 members found this post helpful.

I have to apologize, I called the AG in Michigan and was told there was no listing as a registered non-profit. After I asked on COTH, by the time I got back to the facebook post my post was already removed. I was wrong and I shouldn't have jumped to a conclusion without more checking.

And yes, by the way, I've put in 1000's of volunteer hours with dog rescue. I've seen too many shady rescues that lie about their non-profit and 501(c)3 status to not check.

You might want to change the 501(c)3 pending on one of your web pages. The combination had me thinking you weren't a registered non-profit AND the "pending 501(c)3 made me jump to a conclusion. I'll be more careful in the future.

Since I've found out that even the rescue I was volunteering with as a volunteer/foster chairperson is pulling some shady things...I'm now extra suspicious. Again, I'm sorry I jumped to a conclusion without all the facts.
    Last edited by LauraKY; Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

A classic case of two wrongs don't make a right. OP was unduly snippy as was the response. I don't really blame SSFLandon for being upset, but a more measured response might have left those of us who are unfamiliar with her feeling a bit warmer and fuzzier toward her rescue.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I have to apologize, I called the AG in Michigan and was told there was no listing as a registered non-profit. After I asked on COTH, by the time I got back to the facebook post my post was already removed. I was wrong and I shouldn't have jumped to a conclusion without more checking.

And yes, by the way, I've put in 1000's of volunteer hours with dog rescue. I've seen too many shady rescues that lie about their non-profit and 501(c)3 status to not check.

You might want to change the 501(c)3 pending on one of your web pages. The combination had me thinking you weren't a registered non-profit AND the "pending 501(c)3 made me jump to a conclusion. I'll be more careful in the future.

Since I've found out that even the rescue I was volunteering with as a volunteer/foster chairperson is pulling some shady things...I'm now extra suspicious. Again, I'm sorry I jumped to a conclusion without all the facts.
    Sometimes we all jump to conclusions. I respect you for publicly apologizing for your error and wish more would do so when something turns out not to be what they thought.

3 members found this post helpful.

Duplicate

Thank you Laura, my website has run by myself and another, I have been unable to find the mistake on it, please feel free to email me the page to correct. I do appreciate your apology and likewise did not intend to come off rude her. I work very hard at what i do and it's very frustration when someone comes "at" you versus just asking. My Fb page also have 4 admins. Thank you

PM Sent.

Again is anyone would like proof of anything pertaining to our documents you can visit the IRS website and LARA, Sand Stone Farms Rescue Effort is the business and all our ducks are in a row. Thank to those for the kind words. It's just very frustrating to spend time on something repeating yourself over and over for what is out there. I have been told not to put our TID number on the website, why?? Not sure since it's easy to find, but I follow my attorney's plan. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SSFLandon View Post
    Again is anyone would like proof of anything pertaining to our documents you can visit the IRS website and LARA, Sand Stone Farms Rescue Effort is the business and all our ducks are in a row. Thank to those for the kind words. It's just very frustrating to spend time on something repeating yourself over and over for what is out there. I have been told not to put our TID number on the website, why?? Not sure since it's easy to find, but I follow my attorney's plan. Thanks
    My advice, as someone who has been working in rescue for 14 years now, is to put your IRS determination letter (which does list your TID #) on your website, along with all of your policies and forms. This is what we do, and it eliminates a lot of questions. We also put our 990s there (I know you said you didn't have to file one year) and monthly financial statements (we normally run a few months behind on those since I have to sleep occasionally ).

Transparency is the goal. Putting everything out there lets your potential donors know how you function, allows adopters and volunteers to know what to expect from you, etc.

Good luck!
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

8 members found this post helpful.

thanks cowgirl, yes we are very transparent, we have only been a non profit since late 2011 though stated the rescue a before it on a much smaller scale, therefore there is not anything to show tax wise until 2012 is complete. on the fb page daily there is info on just about everything. many of our donors have been with us since the beginning and or have known me in my horse training business for years, i was told not to put my TID number on the website by my attorney and a quick Google search makes it easy to find (and you must be a state non profit to have a 501c3 which you and I know but seems to be a question here), i will ask him more about that ASAP. As you said, we do need to sleep. I feel we run a tight ship and have a great BOD and some very close followers, I appreciate your input and without a doubt we will continue to do out best. I always welcome questions and do wish people would ask before jumping. I probably won't keep coming back here though, so email away csan1656@aol.com Thank You

3 members found this post helpful.

SSFLandon,

Thank you for your efforts both as a trainer and a rescuer. The horse industry needs more like you!
    As you have just experienced, there are many unexpected bumps in the rescue world, and having some foolish forum poster attack you is just one of those bumps. Unfortunately, Lauraky has done you an extreme disservice and even though you are 100% correct, the bell she has rung will take time to quiet. And of course, since you very effectively made the op look like a complete buffoon, you were attacked by her buddies who hate to be proven wrong!
    You don't owe these cacklers a single explanation. They were wrong, you are right. Thank you for teaching such a valuable lesson to those who go off half-cocked.
    To her credit, lauraky has admitted her EXTREME error, but her accusations will live-on as nothing ever truly disappears from the internet.
    Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    Investigation into several rescues has revealed untimely filings of tax returns, incredible increases in revenues, sweetheart deals involving land leases, etc. In the case of GG, they profess to only be driven by their concern for horses, yet ignore the Florida situation. They claim they have saved for 5 years to be able to spend almost a million dollars on a neighboring farm. Why don't their prior Form 990's show that? Why isn't their 2011 Form 990 filed by now? Many, many questions about GG and several other rescues. They will no longer operate without questions. Remember, 'trust but verify.' The yarn about the horse that was supposed to be beaten, but actually had cancer is beyond the pale. It is becoming the laughing stock of the rescue world. Angela, you always ask questions. Why not ask GG some questions. The problem of hungry horses will only become worse. Why no reaction to the plight of CCH?
    Pot meet kettle.

2 members found this post helpful.

i was told not to put my TID number on the website by my attorney and a quick Google search makes it easy to find (and you must be a state non profit to have a 501c3 which you and I know but seems to be a question here), i will ask him more about that ASAP.
    If you don't mind sharing his reasoning (via a PM even), I would be interested to hear it. I had never been advised not to share ours, but I'm willing to learn. Good luck with the rescue efforts - I live in MI for a while and at the time there was only 1-2 rescues. I'm glad to see the state's horses have more help!
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Just a hint

Next time...if you need to make an announcement...just say Fairfax..aka Leo HATES us....Out of the woodwork Laura and her group will cluster around you sharing your pain and some will even send you donations.

1 members found this post helpful.

The original topic has been addressed, so I think it's time to put this thread to bed to avoid further derailing.

Mod 3