The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sand Stone Farm's Rescue Efforts in MI??????

Edited to Add: I'm not often wrong when I'm suspicious about something, but when I am, it's a doozey. I was wrong. The rescue is a licensed non-profit. The Michigan AG gave me incorrect information.

Anyone know anything? I had a paid advertisement from them in my facebook feed, which made me wonder about them. I checked, they say on their facebook page and on their home page that they are a registered non-profit with MI and a 501(c)3. Further down on the webpage they say they've applied for their 501(c)3.

According to the MI AG, they are not registered.

Here's their facbook page. https://www.facebook.com/Sandstonefarmrescue

[edit]
    Last edited by LauraKY; Feb. 28, 2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: to remove personal attack
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Haven't heard of them, but they may be out of my local area. Seems like we have "MI horse rescues" popping up in like mushrooms on a warm spring day.

I am really leery about rescues anyway, not hearing much in good details about any of them here in the State.

can we ask them for their registration number?

1 members found this post helpful.

I know Carolyn of Sandstone Farms. She use to be mainly a hunter trainer. Don't know about the status of her non-profit registration. She posts on here, but I don't remember her screen name. Don't really have much of a comment about her rescue. She does take good care of them and doesn't seem to get in over her head.

Never heard of them, but it's a huge state, and so far I can't find anything on their page that would indicate which part of it they're in, though the vet (name means nothing) lists a phone number in Oakland County, which is immediately north of Detroit.

She is sending me her registration number. They are good people. Horses are in Ortonville area maybe?

Thanks Derby Lyn Farms. She had a paid advertisement that popped up in my facebook feed and it made me wonder. MI AG said they didn't have a record of registration. Is she a 501(c)3, the website says it's pending?

That link says so and she says she is. I don't know a whole lot about looking it up.

On her info page it says 501(c)3 pending. She's not on Guidestar...that would be to their benefit to get their info up on Guidestar.

Sand Stone Farm's Rescue Effort is a 501c3 Non Profit rescue in Ortonville, MI. We have been a MI Non Profit and were granted our 501c3 9/2012 however it was retroactive to 9/11. I have been a trainer in the area for 20 years and many on here know me for that in the Hunter Jumper world. I have a great reputation and excellent references and connections with many good trainers. I started the rescue as a way to give back to the horses when the economy crashed. Personally, I do not care what people think of "other"rescues and run my rescue like any good horse program only adopting horses to the right homes etc. Being a trainer gives me a leg up on doing so and in addition, the connection to put inexpensive GOOD horses and riders together in a rough market which many have appreciated. The primary focus on the rescue is to keep mares and foals off the slaughter trucks so we typically only have a few riding age horses at any given time. I and any other corporation have a right to promote out business to bring awareness, spending $10 to promote a post is not much and not something one should find wrong. Do you question the actions of the ASPCA? they do commercials. We have a large following of good horse people and if they thought our money was being mis-spent that would not be the case. A charity is a charity regardless of how big or small. The following professionals support and follow us and include trainers/breeders such as Polly Howard, Heather Irvine, Kim Carey, Jan Dooley, Sari Clapperton, Tara G, Sandy Holbrook of Ocala, Rick/Heather Dayner of Ocala, Chris Rush of VA, to name a few. If you have not heard of Sand Stone Farm's my original INC that I stepped away from sorry to hear that. I have been in the horse industry as a professional for 18 years and my clients and horses have attended many of the big finals etc. and had a lovely quaint group of very supportive clients. Life changes made me decide that being on the road year round was quite exhausting and I needed a break. So, before jumping to all kinds of conclusions perhaps it's best to ask Laura from KY. BTW, I had never even heard of Guidestar but thank you for informing me and I as of today signed up and it said it takes a few business days. FYI, you can go on the IRS website and looks up charities and it's very simple! Sorry I have not had time to join all the online charity pages in the time frame you might expect one to. And FYI no there are no 990 forms yet because we have yet to file this year and last year did not need to based on $$ amounts. I hope I have satisfied your line of questioning and my website DOES say we are a 501c3. If we forgot a page when updating again, I apologize, we are only human and our biggest focus is the care of our horses not the computer but, will be sure every single page is on target. Take Care, Carolyn Sanders FOUNDER SSFRE and SSF. I will not be back to post again and any questions can be addressed through my website or to my lawyers whose info you can email me for. www.sandstonefarm.info
    Last edited by SSFLandon; Feb. 27, 2013 at 08:48 PM. Reason: typos

5 members found this post helpful.

welcome to the forum, but gosh, throw in a paragraph here and there....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

7 members found this post helpful.

Well wasn't that a nice advertisement for your rescue??

Just be aware, that many think that performing due diligence (as Laura KY has, by asking questions ) is a good thing to do , and not something that should be met with such defensiveness. Most reputable rescues would come on and introduce themselves, welcome questions, and give the info about their rescue, not reply with such snark.

9 members found this post helpful.

Indeed but not after she attacked me and my BOD and admins on our page inan accusatory tone along with her actual words and that's not fair at all to do. Most people who have a question email and ask. I apologize if my post came off as aggressive to anyone else, that was not my intent though I will not tolerate the drama llamas to start inaccurate rumors. In addition as posted above I am not new to this industry and believe in due diligence in all of it. I though would not come onto a forum looking for what is easy to find, I'd go to the IRS instead

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SSFLandon View Post
    Indeed but not after she attacked me and my BOD and admins on our page inan accusatory tone along with her actual words and that's not fair at all to do. Most people who have a question email and ask. I apologize if my post came off as aggressive to anyone else, that was not my intent though I will not tolerate the drama llamas to start inaccurate rumors. In addition as posted above I am not new to this industry and believe in due diligence in all of it. I though would not come onto a forum looking for what is easy to find, I'd go to the IRS instead

oh, goody....

aight:

PR is not your strong suit. I can tell that from the two shorter posts....I am NOT working my way through this wall of text....

Now, as for a howdy do:

COTH has about 6000 active members, no telling how many sporadic ones or the number of lurkers.
    Threads on COTH do very often pop up on the top of the search charts.
    As loony as we are, we get around.

Now, considering there are members forma ll four corners of the earth, COTH is one of the quickest ways to get answers.
    Telegram, telephone, tell CoTH.

Now, you might not like the answers....

So, the OP asks what gives with that place, that popped paid advertisement in my inbox, I could not find anything on them.

If I was actually interested, I might go to the IRS and search for whatever...
    but lets face it, Lady: the competition is fierce, why chase a charity for important information when others have it more readily available.
    Yeah, you want people to donate you provide the information, links, etc in a handy package.

And you should not make your debut in abrasive manner. It just turns folks away.
    Now, grant you, COTH is not the place for shrinking violets...but we like to know you better first before we accept snark.

And I didn't pick up popcorn when I was out....
    shame on me!
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post

oh, goody....

aight:

PR is not your strong suit. I can tell that from the two shorter posts....I am NOT working my way through this wall of text....

Now, as for a howdy do:

COTH has about 6000 active members, no telling how many sporadic ones or the number of lurkers.
    Threads on COTH do very often pop up on the top of the search charts.
    As loony as we are, we get around.

Now, considering there are members forma ll four corners of the earth, COTH is one of the quickest ways to get answers.
    Telegram, telephone, tell CoTH.

Now, you might not like the answers....

So, the OP asks what gives with that place, that popped paid advertisement in my inbox, I could not find anything on them.

If I was actually interested, I might go to the IRS and search for whatever...
    but lets face it, Lady: the competition is fierce, why chase a charity for important information when others have it more readily available.
    Yeah, you want people to donate you provide the information, links, etc in a handy package.

And you should not make your debut in abrasive manner. It just turns folks away.
    Now, grant you, COTH is not the place for shrinking violets...but we like to know you better first before we accept snark.

And I didn't pick up popcorn when I was out....
    shame on me!
    It's not her "debut". She's been on COTH for nearly 9 years.

And the OP does have a tendency to immediately assume the worst if she cannot immediately find the answers to her questions. Understandable to a degree given the sheer number of shady rescues out there, but remember some of the ugly assumptions made about the original owners of Always Funny?

8 members found this post helpful.

All the info asked and claimed was not listed has been on the FB page except my TID number, there was no need to treat us that way. The about section on a FB page has info if a person lists it, ours shows a map too.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    It's not her "debut". She's been on COTH for nearly 9 years.

And the OP does have a tendency to immediately assume the worst if she cannot immediately find the answers to her questions. Understandable to a degree given the sheer number of shady rescues out there, but remember some of the ugly assumptions made about the original owners of Always Funny?
    considering how many crap organizations we have come across over the years, yes, I get glossy paid for ads in the mail I do wonder myself.

And yes, the OP has a bedside manner that can leave you wondering.
    Still - as somebody wanting money from the public, one is better served to keep a designated scream pillow at hand.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hey Lady, Im glad you took the time to explain your situation. Pardon- many of us who are skeptical of "papers are filed" rescues, because so many of us have seen or duped by that situation. Dont feel attacked, I for one appreciate the time you took to explain. AND Im glad there are watchdogs like LauraKy. Congrats to you and your success in getting horses placed. We need both types: One to keep rescues from becoming hoarders and/or scalpers and trainers who have means and ability to take in some and get them in the right hands.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    welcome to the forum, but gosh, throw in a paragraph here and there....
    amen