The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Nunn Finer VS. Woof Wear Brushing Boots (Or other brushing boots)

Are the Nunn Finer brushing boots worth the extra 20-30 bucks? Or are there others brands of brushing boots you reccomend? Have a few sets of Woof boots which ive always liked but now they fit my new OTTB a little awkwardly. Looking to get a pair of white ones for the baby eventing he'll be doing this spring. I have a pair of black Premier Equines... really regretting not getting white ones -__- I love how classy the whites look at events. Thanks!
    “A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.”

I had a pair of black woofs for years and years- just the single lock, four strap up front, five in back. Used them on two different TBs eventing regularly for... probably at least ten years? Maybe nearing 15? before the velcro straps finally started to give out.

Because my old woofs lasted so long, I thought I'd splurge and buy a really nice new pair of high-tech XC boots. I did alot of crowd-sourcing (here and otherwise) and ended up buying a pair of premier equines (had them shipped from england because I wanted white) and either the fit was wrong, or I didn't tighten them enough (Felt pretty tight to me!) or something, but the hinds slipped down and busted all apart during competition. Premier equine was nice enough to refund my money; I then bought a pair of white Nunn finers that appear pretty similar to my old woofs-- only went with them because, like you, I wanted white. Just looks so flashy! I haven't had any problem with them- nor have I discerned any significant difference between them and my good old Woofs.

To me, the high tech ones aren't worth the extra $ and pain. I'm sticking to the Woof/Ninn Finer ones from here on!

I have the Woof double lock brushing boots and I love them! I have all four, and they've held up great. It's been at least 6-7 years that I've had them now, and aside from having little scuff marks, you would think they were brand new. The velcro is as strong as it was the day I bought them.

They don't hold water or slip! Love them.

I actually prefer the straps on the Woof basic model (3 straps) to the Nunn Finer (4 or 5 straps).
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I have tried both Woof and Nunn Finer and in my opinion, the Woof Boots will last forever but the Nunn Finer will wear out (the straps give out) after about a year of regular use. I have Woof Boots that are very ugly but are six years old and still functional. The straps on the NF boots I bought last year are fraying and no longer hold securely.

My boots get used 2-3 times a week and washed (in the washer) a few times a month.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Woof boots hold up the best. I have a couple pairs of the double locks and also the single lock four and five straps. I have the clubs as well and I use them twice to three times a day six times a week on average and they hold up. My current pair is two years old and though two of my guys follow close behind, they are not completely worn. The Nunn Finers just do not hold up. You could go even cheaper and check out the Roma brushing boots. Same basic design as the woofs for $25.

http://www.jefferspet.com/roma-neopr.../EQU/cp/KO-RC/

Only come in black and white though. I have a pair and I like them. Would recommend.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

After much thought and inspection of all boots I could get my hands on, I finally went with the NEW equine boots. Lovely, lovely boots, especially with the fleece which keeps the sand/dirt out and washes up very nicely.

http://www.newequinewear.co.uk/shop-...ots-for-horses

They come in white too!

1 members found this post helpful.

^^^ Mouse&Bay-thanks for the link. Really nice boots.

I love my NEW boots but they are not my every day boots. I save them for actual XC.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Not a big fan of the Nunn Finer boots; the straps seem to rip off more easily than Woofs, and a pair of hind double-lock boots split badly at the fetlock. If I'm buying "off-brand" Woofs, the Weatherbeeta/Romas hold up just as well (or better!!) than NFs, and are cheaper. I came across a pair of "PRI"-brand knock offs, and they're ok; they show some wear, but still functional longer than NFs for daily schooling and very comparable to Romas.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Agree with everyone who has found that the Nunn Finer brushing boots tend to deteriorate more quickly. I have single and double-strap Woofs that get used every day and have held up for years; my Nunn Finers ripped straps after less than a year. I actually have also had a good experience with the Weatherbeetas, but they have rubbed a couple of horses, so I'm careful who wears them on a daily basis.