The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default any experience with either Actiflex 4000 or Equinyl Combo???

I am going to try ONE more joint supp for my boy and if that doesn't help then I will just suck it up I guess and pay my vet his mark up on Pentosan.

I have tried expensive joint meds (Grand synergy ha, Cosequin) have tried (altho only briefly) Cortaflx and Hyla Rx vet strength, and not seen any real difference with any of them.

Looking at choices, and not wanting to pay more than I would for the marked up Pentosan (because at that point there is no advantage to orals) I found Actiflex 4000 and Equinyl Combo that both seem to have a lot of positive reviews. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? The Actiflex does not seem to be sold in many places, which makes me wonder how good it is, but then sometimes products from small companies are the best? so who knows.

Also, anyone had any experience with STP (Stop the Pain) also by Cox labs? It is devils claw and yucca and I am wondering if it might help my boy be more comfortable without having the side effect risk of bute.

tia
    arabsrock

I am very suspect of anything from Cox Labs. The price is "too good to be true" for what they claim their products contain, and they do not do any independent verification of their analyses to show that their products contain what they claim. (I have e-mailed and asked)
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Having tried many over the decades, I generally doubt the value of joint supplements. I *have* seen good results with CortaFlx and now with Actiflex 4000. A customer's aged gelding, history of chronic laminitis and general arthritis, has been on A4 for two months now and I've been impressed with his increased comfort level. He's ridden very lightly, but it's obvious he feels better. No other changed factors to consider.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

CrowneDragon - thats what I am a little concerned about and why I am asking. Also concerned that they do not sell through very many vendors. If it is a good product why wouldn't they distribute it more widely? BUT... literally all of the reviews are glowing where most supp's have at least one or two reviews that say didn't do a thing so...

Melissa - thank you for that. I also have seen some results from Cortaflx. Had very good results with Grand HA synergy on my older mare, but didn't seem to really do much for my boy. NIce to know someone has seen the A4 show results. Cortaflx is also on my list to try with him, actually used it earlier but only for a short while was using up some I had on hand. Didn't see any real result but he may not have been on it long enough to show anything.

thanks again. So frustrating.

Island of Heart Surrounded by the Sea of Intuition

I use Actiflex 4000. I used it on my 13 year old gelding and he seemed much more comfortable than we he wasn't on it, nothing spectacular but a slight difference. I currently give it to my younger mare who doesn't have any stiffness or arthritis but just as a maintenance supplement. I get it really cheap at BigD's like a Gallon and the the smaller one for less than $100. which last approximately 3-4 months. For the price I figure it can't hurt.
    The Love for a Horse is just as Complicated as the Love for another Human being, If you have never Loved a Horse you will Never Understand!!!

I love Actiflex 4000! I noticed huge improvement with my own horses and one of my students pony. It did seem that the liquid worked better because the horses couldn't eat around it but if your horses isn't picky you should be fine. The price does seem to good to be true but with the results you can't beat it. Good Luck!

I used ActiFlex 4000 on a gelding that was getting stiff. It actually did seem to make quite a bit of difference, in contrast to other joint supplements I have used over the years, that mostly seem to have an Owner Placebo Effect. I, also, bought it from Big Dee's with the buy a gallon, get a quart free, deal. It's very economical that way.

Thanks guys. its nice to hear some reviews where people think it may actually help vs owner placebo effect. I may just order a quart to start to try. MOney is tight, am a federal employee, and we just got hit with sequestration! Whoopee!!!

Now do I pull shoes or not to save money??? (:

I have also used Actiflex and really like it.

I didn't have any luck w/ actiflex 4000, but did see some difference w/ actiflex senior.
    Same horse does best on Figuerola labs joint saver.

Well I decided to give Actiflex 4000 a try. Just ordered 2 quarts. That should be enough to get me through until our spring shot clinic and if it isn't helping then I will just buy Pentosan from my vet again. If it does work, then great! But I hate living in Ca and all the big stores are back east. I MAY get it before hte end of next week! Patience is not my strong point