The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's in your tack room?

Hi all,
    We are in the process of finishing our tack room and have a good idea as to what we want but I thought I'd reach out to fellow COTHers for their thoughts. We show h/j and have a small private facility.

We're stuck on the ceiling. Had planned to do white vinyl to match the rest of the barn but we now don't think it'll go with the wood we're planning on using on the walls. What have others done?

What feature do you like most about your tack room?

What do you with you had done?

What do you not like and wish you hadn't done?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Beyond the normal, Hot water, mini fridge and cats!

we have metal siding on our ceilings throughout the barn and tack room. Makes the room seem lighter

If I had to do it again I would have cupboards for everyone

The walls in my tack room are stained wood and ceiling is pretty standard, the traditional painted (white) sheet rock. Two additions I can't live without...my mini-fridge and the Keurig! ;-)

If I could re-do it, I'd put in lots of shelving and storage.

2 members found this post helpful.

Lots of shelving. More than you think you'll need.

I was at a barn once where all the tackrooms had a sink in them. Definitely want a chair or seating ledge in my tackroom. Climate control is always nice. I like to have a separate compartment for my shoes/boots/half chaps
    Last edited by lrp1106; Feb. 27, 2013 at 04:59 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

White would be a mess. Think cobwebs and every day dirt. It always finds its way to white.

Extra saddle racks - you never know when that new saddle finds its way to you.

^more shelving than you think you need is right!

A powder room if you can do it.

Washer/dryer and sink.

Hot and cold water.

At least 2 tack hooks.

Bridle racks.

Blanket racks and storage.

Our tack room is a combination tack room and wash stall, and it's actually a separate building from the barn. Makes it a little inconvenient, but it was the only way to do it with the way the barn is set up.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

a sink and a heater!!! A mini fridge for sure too. Lots and lots of shelves.

Oh, and some kind of storage for saddle pads. I don't like folding ones I've just used, so I like to have some racks/hooks/type things for them.

more shelves than you think you'll need
    more bridle racks than you think you'll need
    a hot/cold sink is essential
    near sink and table, a tack cleaning hook suspended from ceiling
    climate control (space heater in winter, dehumidifier for summer eliminates stiff and frozen, or summer moldy tack)
    lockable cabinet for drugs/medical supplies

I favor good ole Rubbermade tubs for blanket and clean saddlepad storage, a wall for stacking those bins is essential.

spill proof, easy-to-clean floor (ie dark -colored tiles)

not so much a factor of tack room design but of organization, but Label Everything! (horse names above bridle racks, medical supplies, blanket owners/sizes, etc. )
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

http://elementfarm.blogspot.com/

Tack cabinets are very nice. They eliminate most (if not all) borrowing of other client's tack without permission which limits complaints of "missing" tack. They also keep the tack room looking nice and clean. Ours have room for 2 saddles and 4 bridle hooks in the middle area along with a lower storage area and an overhead storage area. Each client has their own tack cabinet.

A sink, refridgerator, and bathroom are all requirements for me as well. The sink is required for tack cleaning and the the fridge for equine medications and client drinks during the hot months. A shower is also nice for those of us with hectic schedules who are always coming from or going to somewhere.

I also love when barns offer blanket racks. Everyone knows wet blankets smell up a tack room, but coolers (and other blankets) really should be dried before they are put away.

If the tack room is going to double as the "lounge" for clients, a couch (or three) is also great for socializing.

Things I dislike in tack rooms:

The eye-hook & 2x4 with hook set up to hold saddles. These work fine for in the barn aisle so you can fold them in when not in use, but aren't really durable or stable enough for regular storage use. Invest in metal saddle racks or build more permanent ones.

Not enough storage space for each client. - I don't want to have to haul my blankets, grooming supplies, extra pads and wraps, helmet, boots, whips, spurs, extra fly spray, detangler, shampoo, etc to and from the barn. I want enough storage space to keep most of my horse's stuff at the barn. If tack cabinets aren't provided, then make sure you allow space for each person to keep a large tote in the tack room.

NO CATS IN THE TACK ROOM! - If you've ever had your saddle torn up by a cat, you understand why. Again, tack cabinets with doors make this more acceptable, but I'd still prefer they be kept out.

5 members found this post helpful.

Lots of these have been stated by others, but here's my 2 cents:
    Overhead cabinets and tons of shelving--it's amazing how fast they get filled!
    A big trunk or cabinet for blankets not currently in use.
    Extra hooks or racks for drying wet blankets and pads
    Sink with hot/cold.
    More saddle racks and bridle hooks than you think you'll need (my current barn has two horses, but six saddle racks and 8 bridle hooks and they are all full!)
    Heating for winter
    Some kind of seating
    Boot/shoe racks or rubber mat for dirty muck boots

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Storage storage storage and organization organization organization. My current barn has a great set up for boarders: Individual tack lockers with hooks, saddle racks, and shelving units. Unfortunately its not so great for the lesson program and the major problem is LACK OF STORAGE. The container store is your best friend for solving this problem. Get individual boxes for types of bit (or one of those mini plastic shelving systems), random pieces of leather that seem to be a requirement for horses, etc. Have hangers for girths so you can group in sizes (this drives me CRAZY - I spend like 10 minutes searching for a specific length girth). Label everything.

Keep your medicine cabinet organized and updated - this is another huge pet peeve. I have yet to ride at a stable that doesn't have 5+ year old medication lying around. This means stuff still in date gets mixed in and then it always seems anything you actually need gets shoved to the back. If there are kiddos hanging around I'd look into locks for it.

In a nutshell, I agree with more shelves than you think you'll need & maybe some kind of cubby system (think those block shelving systems you get at target) for organizing smaller items in containers/bins. ETA I also agree with hot/cold sink. Have this as near to your tack cleaning set up (bridle hook and one of those free standing saddle stands) as possible.

Definitely get permanent saddle racks. I hate the ones you swing up in tack rooms.

I also love having a mini fridge and kettle, but maybe you have an office for that.

I cannot wait for the day I get to organize my own tack room :-D. Dream come true.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ElementFarm View Post
    spill proof, easy-to-clean floor (ie dark -colored tiles)
    Forgot about this. Wood floors are a BAD idea! Tile is the way to go.

I love to have a sink and extra saddle stand and hanging rack for cleaning tack. Heaters are nice. Don't do a concrete or wood floor, do tile because when cleaning things spill it's annoying to pick up.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
    This is my tack room:
    There is NO EARTHLY WAY you have boarders! Your tack room is amazing - place for everything and everything in it's place. I get a warm fuzzy feeling in my obsessive/compulsive brain looking at your tack room.

7 members found this post helpful.

OMG, I agree. Wow - my jaw was just dropped looking at how neat and tidy and organized everything is! Very very nice

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwoodsRider View Post
    There is NO EARTHLY WAY you have boarders! Your tack room is amazing - place for everything and everything in it's place. I get a warm fuzzy feeling in my obsessive/compulsive brain looking at your tack room.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

2 members found this post helpful.

Haha! Thanks guys! I only have borders during circuit and they use a very small portion of the tack room. I am compulsively neat and my tack room is my pride and joy. I have been dreaming about it for, oh, 10 years? So when I finally got to do it, I wanted to do it right. I do long for the day that I can fill all 9 saddle racks though...it bothers me that three are empty!!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

WOW!!! That tack room makes me want my own barn!