The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trail rides near Breckenridge, CO?

A friend of mine is going to fly to Denver and then drive out to Breckenridge the first weekend in May. She'd like to go riding while she's out there (not a horsey person in general, however). Does anyone have any recommendations for reputable trail ride businesses that would be open in that general area?

Thanks!

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

I'd be interested to hear if she finds a place open that time of year. In my experience, most summer mountain stuff doesn't get started until mid-late May or early June... especially around 10,000 feet in elevation.

Heck, I am hoping to ski until at least mid April. (I know, I know, the snow sucks this year)

ETA: A quick search lead me to Breckenridge Stables.
    Dreaming in Color

Here is the website for Breckenridge Stables - don't know anything about them but can ask my sister who lives there - says they open Mid May so depending on how long your friend will be there she might be in luck.

http://breckstables.com/index.html

She took my daughter riding one summer but I don't know where in CO that was.

I have no idea how far she wants to travel, but we rode with Sombrero Ranch at the Estes Park location in December 2 years ago. They have 2 locations that are open year round, Estes Park being one of them.

However, as a heads up, at the top of the mountain during our ride - it was quite ICY, cold, windy & slippery, and the guide said it stayed that way until early summer. My horse had shoes on & kept losing her footing - at those heights & steep-ness, it was a bit disconcerting.

Thanks for the replies!

She found this place called Triple G Outfitters, which she thought might be close enough to where she's going and appears to offer winter rides. Anyone know anything about it, in particular?

Thanks again!

I'm heading to Breckenridge for a week on Saturday - I will look around and see what I can find!
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

Not too far from Breckenridge, is Keystone Resort. Don't know if they will be open that early but they have (had 20 years ago anyway) a good riding program.
    You could go with a group or go out one on one with one of their guides....that
    was a lot more fun and my horse was a big black guy named Diablo but through
    the creek and over the bridge he went! They also have a winter sleigh ride program including a trip to a remote ranch house and a meal to die for. Don't know how later in the season in lasts!

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    They also have a winter sleigh ride program including a trip to a remote ranch house and a meal to die for. Don't know how later in the season in lasts!
    My sister lives in Breck and took us on that dinner ride when we visited one Thanksgiving - it was wonderful! Highly recommend it!

Quote Originally Posted by KonaPony View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

She found this place called Triple G Outfitters, which she thought might be close enough to where she's going and appears to offer winter rides. Anyone know anything about it, in particular?

Thanks again!
    I don't know anything about it, but Vail is about an hour away from Breckenridge.

My sister says she took DD on a ride through the Breckenridge Stables - DD said it was ok but if she hadn't already been an experienced rider she would have been overmounted. The picture of her riding through the mountains sans helmet and in sneakers didn't do much for me either!

Try Keystone - they are lower and might offer rides earlier in the season.