The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default too cold for baths?

I'm super cautious about exposing the Pugs to hot and cold extremes, and don't normally bathe them until it hits high 60's/ low 70's.

BUT I CAN'T TAKE THE STANK MUCH LONGER.

Would it be too risky to bathe them today? Mid 40's and sunny, although it's supposed to rain later.

Anyone with brachycephalic dog experience please chime in!
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I bathe all year round, but I do it indoors and keep them in until they dry. With a Pug, I imagine you could do it in your sink?

Are you bathing outside? I don't understand the concern about temps otherwise...

1 members found this post helpful.

Bathe them inside and blow them dry with the blow dryer. My cocker loves the blow dryer.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I gave my Cavalier a bath just last night in the utility sink. Unless you're bathing/leaving the dog outside, I don't see the issue.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I bathe all year round, but I do it indoors and keep them in until they dry. With a Pug, I imagine you could do it in your sink?

Are you bathing outside? I don't understand the concern about temps otherwise...
    I do bathe them in the sink, but my concern is with their double coats, they take forever to dry. They are going to have to go out for a potty break before they are dry. And they are terrified of the blow dryer.

I guess I can hold out a few more weeks. I'm sure we'll get something at least in the 50's soon. And if I do it earlier in the day, after their first pee, they can stay in until they are pretty much dry.

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    I do bathe them in the sink, but my concern is with their double coats, they take forever to dry. They are going to have to go out for a potty break before they are dry. And they are terrified of the blow dryer.

I guess I can hold out a few more weeks. I'm sure we'll get something at least in the 50's soon. And if I do it earlier in the day, after their first pee, they can stay in until they are pretty much dry.
    I don't worry about a quick outside excursion to pee when they're damp.

Perhaps one of those super sucking drying towels would help pull the water out of the coat, too? Like the Shamwow?

LOL Simkie - great idea. Maybe I can get them on the Shamwow commercial!

I wouldn't think a quick bathroom break will hurt them (I go outside with wet hair all the time!).

Mine both have jackets they wear outside...if yours do then I think a jacket would be fine also.
    Last edited by vtdobes; Feb. 27, 2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: typo

Those towels are for real. I bought the Absorber based on raves from a grooming forum. Towels and a space heater if they're shivering. Mine deal with the blow dryer because they have no choice. Guess I'm just mean.

Gosh if I couldn't bathe my long haired, double coated dogs in the winter we might have to move! They get flithy at the barn and on our walks. My pom fell in a lake a few weeks ago! We went on a trail ride a while back and one of my dogs wasn't behind me when I looked back. I called her and she came running up and her entire throat/chest area was black....Ugh, the smell!

I bathe the corgis year round. If we're headed to a show, I blow dry, but if it's just a maintenance bath, they air dry

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post

I wouldn't wait. I would probably just take them out for a walk first, give them a bath, and then rub them with a towel as much as possible. I don't think that it will matter in the least for a quick trip out to the bathroom. If you were going to leave them outside for hours it might be one thing, but just a quick trip outside should be fine. I can't stand it when dogs stink, so I'd definitely give them a bath if it were me. I've done this in much colder temperatures.

I'd be bathing. It's not freezing cold in your house, I'm sure! Towel dry and blow dry as best you can, and they should be just fine.

For what it's worth, You can get a force dryer to knock off an awful lot of water quickly for about $100 - Metro is the brand I have. Works like a charm. Mine is about 13 years old now and works perfectly.

You can train your dogs to accept a dryer - gosh knows, I have trained hundreds upon hundreds of dogs over the years! Food, patience, and cotton in the ears work wonders!
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

You can also bring them to a groomer. Would probably be about 40 bucks per dog including nails and ear cleaning, bath, blowdry, some brushing.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey09 View Post
    I wouldn't wait. I would probably just take them out for a walk first, give them a bath, and then rub them with a towel as much as possible. I don't think that it will matter in the least for a quick trip out to the bathroom. If you were going to leave them outside for hours it might be one thing, but just a quick trip outside should be fine. I can't stand it when dogs stink, so I'd definitely give them a bath if it were me. I've done this in much colder temperatures.
    Everything Casey said. I bathe my dogs all year long. And they do occasionally have to take bathroom breaks before they are dry. No big deal, as long as I don't leave them out when it's -10F.

A dryer is a good investment and they do last forever. You could also buy a couple of doggy sweatshirts and change them when they absorb additional water (after towel drying). We do this with special "towel coats" deliberately to help coats dry flat before a show - it's always good to have a couple so the towel doesn't turn into a cold, soggy mess.

I bathe my guys all year. They come home smelling like horse and covered in poop and dirt from rolling in the manure. They are not getting in the bed, not even on the couch without a bath. I bathe inside, in our large shower, but a small dog would be fine in the sink, I just have never had one under 30# so, shower it is.

I blow dry or use a shammy that I buy in bulk at Harbor Freight to get them dry. If I fear cold, then I have a cooler for them like my horse. The fleece blankie that they go in. They are lightweights.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.