The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 2002 Hart 2 horse trailer - is this a good deal?

Hello all,

I am planning to buy my first horse trailer this year, and am trying to stick to used trailers under $10K. I have read a lot of good things about Hart trailers on this forum and others, but didn't think i would be able to find one in my local area.

I just found an ad this morning for a 2002 Hart 2 horse bumper pull, straight load, step up, with double escape doors and a front tack room for $8500. I haven't seen it in person yet, but from the pictures it looks to be in excellent condition. Is this a good price for this trailer?

Also, is a 7 foot ceiling tall enough for a 16.2HH Thoroughbred?

TIA!!

Quote Originally Posted by ace** View Post
    Hello all,

I am planning to buy my first horse trailer this year, and am trying to stick to used trailers under $10K. I have read a lot of good things about Hart trailers on this forum and others, but didn't think i would be able to find one in my local area.

I just found an ad this morning for a 2002 Hart 2 horse bumper pull, straight load, step up, with double escape doors and a front tack room for $8500. I haven't seen it in person yet, but from the pictures it looks to be in excellent condition. Is this a good price for this trailer?

Also, is a 7 foot ceiling tall enough for a 16.2HH Thoroughbred?

TIA!!
    I had a 1993, all aluminum, 7 ft tall Hart, 2H slant bumper pull with ramp and dressing room in front that I sold last year for $6300. It was in excellent shape as it was stored indoors and not used in the winter except for emergencies. I had it made custom so it was over $14,000 new. I loved that trailer but needed to upgrade to a 3H and we no longer have a Hart dealer in the area.

You might want to measure the inside height of the trailer you are interested in because mine actually was 7'1". Is the 2002 Hart aluminum or steel?

Most of my horses were 15.3 H and under but I had one TB who was 16.2H and he rode in it fine. My horses were good travelers so I didn't worry about them banging their heads and one time I hauled a friend's mare who was 17.2 H. It was a bit cramped for her but it was a very short trip and she had no problem about getting in to go back home.

Mary in Western NY
    http://www.bpequine.com

I think that price is high and needs to be negotiated...and would be concerned with the 7' height personally. Although what I have doesn't have a tack room, it's a 2004 in "nearly mint" condition and I paid half what you're looking at. The number that Mary gives sounds more reasonable if the Hart is in really great condition.

The Hart's I've seen are built well. However I think this is priced a little high, but that can depend on your area too. Last year I bought a brand new 2 horse all alum straight bp with ramp and walk in tack and an 8' ceiling for around that much. It's a great trailer and a newer company that is selling their trailers at great prices to try to get the name out there.

I had a 7' straight bp and have fit some huge horses in it but they loaded well and didn't have much room to spare. I have to say that I'm more than a little in love with the 8' height in my new trailer.

Hart's are VERY well built and last a VERY long time, so they hold their value very well and are priced accordingly. They over-engineer for safety and I'd love to own one, but they are out of reach of my budget and I'm happy with what I have.

I've got a 16.2 uphill built OTTB in my 7' trailer and he is fine. Yes, his ears are close to the ceiling, but he does not have any issues and self-loads without hesitation. I find it a bit amusing that people get worked up about 7' trailer now as when I bought mine in 2008, 7' was the "tall" and 7'6" was just for Shire owners or the overzealots!

I have a Hart that is 7' 1" and I have had no problems although my horses are fairly small. I will say my Hart is built like a tank and is the best pulling trailer I have ever owned- I have previously owned a Hart, two Elites and a Trail-Et and currently have a Featherlite that is my runaround. It has a lot of little features that set it apart from others.

I think price is dependent on condition as well as how well routine maintenance has been performed. You could try to compare it to others similar to it on www.horsetrailerworld.com. I would also compare it to the cost of a new one. Trailers don't have a lot of moving parts- they are basically a box on wheels- so some can really hold their value. To give you an idea, we picked up our '99 Featherlite last August for $6500. It is a basic 16' gooseneck stock trailer that was almost brand new- stored inside, washed out after every use and had 5 brand new tires. It was a steal compared to the price of new ones and much sturdier built. I bought it unseen in person from a dealer 2 hours away only a few hours after it had been put online. The dealer had multiple offers after we had put a deposit on it. Our neighbor came to look at it when we got it home and told us to resell it immediately because he thought we could get at least $10K.

Best wishes! I hope you get to enjoy it!!!

Thanks for all of the replies, I have contacted the seller to see if the trailer is still available - fingers crossed! They are not very common in my area, so I am excited to find one to look at so close by. If it looks good I will try and get a better price for sure, appreciate the advice!

I think the price may be high.
    In 2001 I bought a 2000 Trail-et 2 horse with dressing room, two escape doors in the trailer, window in bulk head, windows in rear doors, running boards, diamond plate on nose of trailer, 7'6" tall and xtra wide for $8,300. I think the former owner bought every upgrade available. It had been used about 10 times before I bought it so it was pristine. Only thing missing were the hay bags and dressing room door keys.

In my area the Trail-et's hold their value well. Mine is in nice shape, is taller than yours and I would not be able to get $8,300 for it now, more like $6,500 or $7,000.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)