The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Developments regarding EHV-1 at WEF

A press release was just issued:

Announcements of Developments on EHV-1 at Palm Beach International Equestrian Center

For Immediate Release

Wellington, FL - February 27, 2013 - Equestrian Sport Productions announces that developments have occurred at Palm Beach International Equestrian Center (PBIEC). A horse stabled in Grand Prix Village (outside of PBIEC) has been tested for EHV-1 and tested negative for the nasal PCR swab, but positive to the blood test. That horse has not shown any neurological symptoms and there are no positive tests on horses on the PBIEC property. There are no sick horses on PBIEC property.

The previous biosecurity protocols that were enacted on February 22 have still been in place and will remain until further notice. ESP is asking all equestrians, especially those stabling off PBIEC property, to enact biosecurity protocols and be proactive and responsible for their horses, including daily temperature charts.

The horse that was tested was never on the PBIEC property and was isolated on the private property in Grand Prix Village. However, two horses from that Grand Prix Village Farm were moved into the "FEI Stabling" at PBIEC. Within FEI Stabling, those two horses had no other horses directly next to them or behind them, and those two horses couldn't touch noses with other horses. The closest horses to the two exposed were across a 12-foot aisle.

On the evening of Tuesday, February 26, the two horses from Grand Prix Village that were in FEI Stabling were moved back to their farm in Grand Prix Village on the recommendation of the State Veterinarian and that farm in Grand Prix Village is under quarantine.

Since those two horses from Grand Prix Village were in the same barn as the horse that tested positive through blood and were then in FEI Stabling, the State of Florida Department of Agriculture has temporarily closed FEI Stabling.

Consequently, horses in FEI Stabling will be monitored closely. The FEI Stabling will be closed with no horses arriving or leaving until tests come back at approximately 4 pm tomorrow, February 28, on the two horses that were in the Grand Prix Village Farm and then FEI Stabling.

Today's two $5,000 CSIO Welcome Stake classes have been cancelled and the prize money will be added to the Ruby et Violette WEF Challenge Cup Round 8. For Thursday, February 28, the schedule will start with the G&C Farm 1.45m (class 1003), followed by the Hollow Creek Farm Young Rider, Junior, and Children's Classic classes (106, 107, 108).

Announcements about the $43,000 Ruby et Violette WEF Challenge Cup Round 8 will be released as soon as possible.

On Thursday, February 28, the $35,000 G&C Farm Puissance has been postponed indefinitely.

The WEF Sport Horse Auction at The Stadium at 7 pm will proceed as planned.

For those interested in more information on EHV-1, please visit www.equestriansport.com to read an informational report by the University of California-Davis.

For more information on Equestrian Sport Productions biosecurity protocols, please call 561-793-5867.

Please visit www.equestriansport.com or call 561-793-5867 for more information.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

Yikes.

Wow, pretty major stuff. I'd be pissed if I had an FEI horse there.

3 members found this post helpful.

Nation's Cup week, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    Nation's Cup week, too.
    Yes. Very unfortunate timing. Not that there's a good time for it.

Interesting that those two horses (who were moved into FEI stabling) brought the house down.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

1 members found this post helpful.

Terrible news. Hoping for the best …
    friend of bar*ka

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Yikes. Fingers crossed. About the worst thing it could do is jump onto the show grounds...
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Fortunately it seems that the biosecurity protocols being practiced across the board at nearly every barn, including the routine ones in place at the FEI tent have minimized the possible exposures. Hopefully the abundance of caution will result in negative test results and competition will resume as soon as is practical.

Quote Originally Posted by M. O'Connor View Post
    Fortunately it seems that the biosecurity protocols being practiced across the board at nearly every barn, including the routine ones in place at the FEI tent have minimized the possible exposures. Hopefully the abundance of caution will result in negative test results and competition will resume as soon as is practical.
    Thank goodness those responsible took this seriously from day one!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Praying for the safety of all the horses. Scary!

Glad to see that WEF is taking the precautions to keep this thing from spreading. HITS should take notes...
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

6 members found this post helpful.

HITS certainly did not cover itself with glory with the way it handled the problem but if I were at WEF I would not be spending a lot of time patting myself on the back. This is a sneaky, opportunistic virus with devastating consequences. As long as you have people traveling from tent to tent you risk the chance of spreading the disease. And bio-security is not just washing your hands. It includes changing your clothes. How many people are doing that before they head out of the tent to go to the bathroom, get a bite to eat, do some shopping, etc.? How do you ensure that third party folks such as blacksmiths, braiders, etc. are practicing bio-security? Are they washing and sterlizing their equipment?

Here are two good articles on the disease.

http://www.aaep.org/health_articles_view.php?id=370

http://www.ca.uky.edu/gluck/BiblioEHV1.asp

The following is copied and pasted from the aaep article (font changes are mine):

How does EHV spread?

EHV-1 is contagious and spread by direct horse-to-horse contact via the respiratory tract through nasal secretions. It is important to know that this disease can also be spread indirectly through contact with physical objects contaminated with the virus:

§ Human contaminated hands or clothing

§ Contaminated equipment and tack

§ Contaminated trailers used for transporting horses

§ Contaminated wipe rags or other grooming equipment

§ Contaminated feed and water buckets

The air around the horse that is shedding the virus can also be contaminated with infectious virus. Although it is known that the virus can be airborne, it is difficult to establish the distance the virus can spread in this manner under typical horse management and environmental conditions.

How long can the virus live outside of the horse’s body? This includes on clothing, footwear, walls, buckets, tack, etc…

The virus is estimated to be viable for up to 7 days in the environment under normal circumstances, but remain alive for a maximum of one month under perfect environmental conditions. Most important is to first clean equipment and horse housing areas. (Please Note: It is really important to wash and rinse where you can prior to applying disinfectants.) By cleaning first, this allows for removal or organic material which makes the disinfectants more effective. After this cleaning, follow with a disinfection process. The virus is easily killed in the environment by most disinfectants. Conventional disinfectants and detergents are the best. It is important to perform hand hygiene (wash hands with soap and dry thoroughly or use alcohol based hand sanitizer) when moving between horses that are grouped separately to avoid spreading pathogens that may contaminate your hands.

I hope I am wrong but I think this has already become a serious outbreak and "the show must go on" should be ended in both locations.

I have a horse in Ocala (has never been on the showgrounds). If I had my way he would be on his way home tomorrow but I will wait until my trainer is ready to ship him. I do not want him on commercial transportation.

GOOD NEWS FROM PBIEC!

For Immediate Release

Wellington, FL - February 28, 2013 - Equestrian Sport Productions announces that the two horses tested for EHV-1 that were in "FEI Stabling" at Palm Beach International Equestrian Center were found negative. The quarantine on FEI Stabling, which was set by the State of Florida Department of Agriculture in collaboration with Equestrian Sport Productions, has been lifted. Competition will continue as scheduled for the CSIO classes. All other competition for the FTI Consulting Winter Equestrian Festival has been running as scheduled.

The $43,000 Ruby et Violette WEF Challenge Cup Round 8 is scheduled to start at 4 pm today.

The previous biosecurity protocols that were enacted on February 22 have still been in place and will remain until further notice. ESP is asking all equestrians, especially those stabling off PBIEC property, to enact biosecurity protocols and be proactive and responsible for their horses, including daily temperature charts.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by NinaL aka Chrissy View Post
    How do you ensure that third party folks such as blacksmiths, braiders, etc. are practicing bio-security? Are they washing and sterlizing their equipment? .
    For me, I have a separate sponge and tools for each barn. They go into and out of the barn in a plastic freezer bag. I have a different shirt for each barn, but not pants and shoes. I wash my hands between each barn and spray my ladder and clothes with disinfecting spray. I use the footbath at the barns that have one.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    For me, I have a separate sponge and tools for each barn. They go into and out of the barn in a plastic freezer bag. I have a different shirt for each barn, but not pants and shoes. I wash my hands between each barn and spray my ladder and clothes with disinfecting spray. I use the footbath at the barns that have one.
    They should hire you at HITS ;-). Then again I wouldn't wish that on anyone. This is awesome to read!