The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Resume and video?

I've posted a few threads about working student positions, and I have sent some emails out to trainers. Would it be better to send out a résumé and video instead? By mail? Also, I have no idea how to make a professional equestrian résumé. Can someone please explain? Also, how to make a professional video of my riding? Anything to add about how to impress any possible trainers? Thanks!

I know there are threads on this topic already, but I just wanted to make a new one for any updated information, new comments, etc.

I will send you a PM later today on what to do.

Rather than a video, I would include a link to a youtube video. If I was hiring a working student for a position that included some riding I would definitely appreciate seeing a riding sample.

Okay, thanks to you both. I did have an uploaded video on YouTube once, and a fellow COTH member told me that it was unprofessional and to take it down, so I did. It included music in the background- is that unprofessional?

Quote Originally Posted by Horserider15 View Post
    Okay, thanks to you both. I did have an uploaded video on YouTube once, and a fellow COTH member told me that it was unprofessional and to take it down, so I did. It included music in the background- is that unprofessional?
    Yes, music is unprofessional. If you MUST go with some soft classical piece, but NOTHING more "adventurous" than that.

There are lots and lots of threads that go into great detail about how to make a good riding video for sale horses; you're looking for a similar level of professionalism.

E
    Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Yes, music is unprofessional. If you MUST go with some soft classical piece, but NOTHING more "adventurous" than that.

There are lots and lots of threads that go into great detail about how to make a good riding video for sale horses; you're looking for a similar level of professionalism.
    Ok, thanks. I will try and find some more threads.

What she found unprofessional was helmetless riding with affects and music, I believe. It wasn't the fact that it was on YouTube.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    What she found unprofessional was helmetless riding with affects and music, I believe. It wasn't the fact that it was on YouTube.
    Okay, so just no affects or obnoxious music. I only helmet less for 15 seconds of it. Other than that one day, I always wear a helmet, so I will make sure that I only include helmet riding in my video.

Okay, so just no affects or obnoxious music. I only helmet less for 15 seconds of it. Other than that one day, I always wear a helmet, so I will make sure that I only include helmet riding in my video.
    Only include clips where you & the horse look your best... well dressed, spotlessly clean, and going around nicely. No affects or music other than something generic and soft.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Effects. Effects. Effects.

8 members found this post helpful.

Prepare a detailed resume of all your riding accomplishments. Start with a nice cover letter on why you want to be a working student, what you can offer the trainer, your goals for the future, etc. Include information on your vital statistics such as age, height, weight, etc and put when you can start. List every accomplishment in chronological order. Be truthful. Most every show result can be verified with a quick google search, so don't lie. Include high quality photographs of all horses you have ridden with a quick bio of each horse. Include letters of recommendation from those in the horse world who can attest to your skills and demeanor. Mention other skills such as driving a horse trailer, body clipping, veterinary skills. Prepare a DVD of all your riding videos with a quick caption at the beginning stating who the horse is, where and when the video was taken, level of training, etc. No music or funky editing. If a schooling video, make sure horse and tack are clean and you are in the proper clothes. You want to sell yourself and get the trainers attention. Good luck. Remember you may get many "no thank yous" before you get a yes.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Effects. Effects. Effects.
    Thank you for saying what I was about to.

And please, if you intend the video as a resume, as a sale ad for a horse, as a serious demonstration of ANY kind, NO music (especially not anything trendy) and absolutely NO "special effects." No sepia tone, no slo-mo, no backing up, no cutesy fades, no sparkle effects, NOTHING. I have looked at sale videos that were for not-cheap horses and come away thinking "Who made that, a twelve-year-old Justin Bieber fan who just discovered video editing software?"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Thank you for saying what I was about to.

And please, if you intend the video as a resume, as a sale ad for a horse, as a serious demonstration of ANY kind, NO music (especially not anything trendy) and absolutely NO "special effects." No sepia tone, no slo-mo, no backing up, no cutesy fades, no sparkle effects, NOTHING. I have looked at sale videos that were for not-cheap horses and come away thinking "Who made that, a twelve-year-old Justin Bieber fan who just discovered video editing software?"
    Haha, ok no effects. No music. What about background noises? Like, my trainer talking in the arena? Or should I cut out all noise whatsoever?

No need for your instructor talking in the background. No noise is fine.

You can just mute the clip and make it silent.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the comments so far.