The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default L-Glutamine for Ulcers?

So I did some minor research on Google after hearing that L-Glutamine consumption can cure ulcers in humans. I wondered if it could do the same in horses, and the answer is sure, it can. Is it the best way? I have no idea. Could it hurt to try? Probably not.

Has anyone used glutamine as a main way to treat ulcers? I'm hearing 20-40 grams daily for horses treatment.

I would say "it can cure ulcers in humans" is a bit grandiose. In some situations, a high level of glutamine in the local "milieu" can slightly increase the rate of healing of ulcers in the GI tract.

No, it probably can't hurt. I would not, however, be overly excited about it working all by itself. ALL ulcers heal, eventually. Glutamine may (or may not) help a little. If it's dirt cheap, I'd consider adding it to otherwise proven and effective ulcer treatments. I would never expect it to be meaningfully effective by itself, though. In fact, it is found in many ulcer "remedies" although rarely in sufficient amounts to be useful.

Google and research should never be used. In the same sentence.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hmmm, interesting. I wonder what it would do for non-ulcers but over-acidity.
    I just had my mare scoped 2 weeks ago for ulcers. She didn't have ulcers, per se, but did have:

"significant hyperkeratosis of the squamous mucosa above the
    margo plicatus at the greater curvature and to a much greater extent on the lesser curvature. There was also yellow discoloration to the hyperkeratosis on the lesser curvature. There were a few areas of hyperemia of the glandular mucosa in the pyloric area but no active ulceration. No other abnormalities were noted in the stomach. We did not get into the duodenum today. According to the Equine Gastric Ulcer Syndrome council she would be scored at a grade 1/4."

She had 7 days of 1 tube Gastroguard, now down to 1/4 tube/day GG maintenance dose until some ranitidine arrives. I also have the pop rocks on order so I can keep her on the maintenance dose.
    After 2 tubes of GG there was a remarkable difference in her! She was even discovered lying down and sleeping on the 2nd morning after starting the GG, something the BO hasn't seen since she moved to this barn 16 months ago! It's been hypothesized by my vet and myself that she's been so uncomfortable that she's been suffering sleep deprivation, causing stress, causing acid production, causing sleep discomfort, causing sleep deprivation....[I feel like SUCH a bad owner ]

I LIKE my new, sweeter mare and I don't want her to suffer any more, so want to do the best I can afford for her tummy, and I'm wondering if this L-glutamine would help prevent the acidity she's susceptible to in addition to the antacids she's now prescribed.
    Believe me, this is a horse who has as close to perfect living conditions as any domesticated horse can have- out at least 12 hours per day, quiet barn, caring BO, warmed water, quality hay, low starch/sugar ration balancer, soaked alfalfa cubes, soft brushes...

Where can L-glutamine be found/bought? I'm assuming health food stores, but knowing what I do about "ass-uming"...
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

It can be purchased specifically for horses, but the human version is usually just a bit cheaper and better quality. You can get it at GNC, some grocery stores, and even on eBay.

It's the "active ingredient" in Succeed along with oat flour and oat oil. Succeed contains about 1.5 g of L-glutamine per serving, less than what was used in that study that looked at the effect on human ulcers. But, there are a million people who "swear" by Succeed.

It does nothing about acid. In fact glutamate is quite acidic, although the relevance of that is probably nil.

I'd say if she's on GG and/or BPR and/or ranitidine that adding glutamate is sort of like spitting in the ocean.
    Click here before you buy.

Thanks, DW!
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

In some case studies and preliminary trials, L-glutamine has been suggested to help repair mucosal damage in the large intestine. If someone is saying that L-glutamine has been said to "cure" anything, they might be making grandiose assumptions based on what science there is currently available. I wouldn't bother for gastric ulcers in a horse.

I ran into the below by accident and I'd say there is value in l-glutamine, this vet in some of his 'equine articles' will recommend l-glutamine (be it as a supplement or cabbage).
    Article is bovine however.

http://www.experts.scival.com/reachn...er&u_id=170388

I use G.U.T. for my little horse because of the glutamine. A year and a half ago, he had two scary episodes of Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). For half an hour, his whole neck (esophagus) gurgled. Finally, he recovered. Doesn't seem to have recurred since he's been getting G.U.T.