The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Berney Brothers: Dublin Jumper?

(I'm asking this over here because the majority of old threads on Berney Bros have been in this forum - if you think I'd get more responses on the HJ board it can be moved! And none of the old threads seemed to address my particular question)

I'm once again on the hunt for a new saddle, and I've become very intrigued by the Berney Brothers saddles. I asked the company what they recommended based on my height (I'm just about 6', all leg - which is what makes saddle shopping such a pain!) and Tom responded that the Dublin Jumper would work well for me. From searches, I know that people generally like these saddles (beyond the hard seat - but I ride in a 20 year old Smith Worthington that's as hard and flat as a board and I love it), but I'm wondering if anyone can speak to this model in particular. I'm curious about how well it works for flatwork - those flaps look very fwd! I'm currently an adult rerider in H/J land doing very small fences (but even for those I can't get my stirrups up in my current saddle, hence the search for something my knees won't flap over!), so a large majority of what I do is flatwork.

When I first looked at the site, I was drawn to the Prix, but perhaps Tom didn't suggest it because the flaps are not fwd enough for my height?

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, the DJ and the TW are both VERY forward. Very much jumping/xc saddles. That being said, I've ridden in Berneys for years, and do plenty of flatwork in them. No, I can't perfect my dressage seat in them, but I can do decent flatwork with no problems.

The Prix is definitely easier to ride in on the flat, but is also definitely not as forward. A DJ would definitely be more appropriate for you.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Better to do flatwork in a jumping saddle than jump in a saddle that constricts you too much. Is the DJ a good saddle for flatwork? Not really... it's built for jumping and galloping. Can you do flatwork in the DJ? Yes, of course you can... it's just not ideal.

I've had my DJ since about 1998. I LOVE it! Lately I've been working some greener horses over smaller fences (2'-2'6") with mostly doing some flatwork in between (isn't that what jumping is though? LOL)... and it's been working just fine.

There is a good chance that the recommendation was based on your height alone in order for your leg to fit the saddle when you raise your stirrups. Again, I'd rather have that and have to "deal" with how the saddle works in flatwork, than have a saddle I was better with flatwork in but that I was fighting over fences.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I had one for years and nearly cried when I realized it only fit one horse. Sold it, and would love to have another but the shape is not suitable for wide, flat backs like most of my horses have. Even Bonnie who wears a narrow tree could not fit that saddle--it rocked on her.

It's hard as a rock, but kept me very secure and of all the saddles I've ridden in, if this is any means of measurement, my leg position is BY FAR the best in the pics I've had taken in my Dublin jumper. (my profile pic is an example)

Some people do complain that it puts them very slightly in a chair seat. I happen to LIKE that feature.

Of course you can do "flatwork" in it, but if you're trying to get a really nice half pass or something it's kind of hopeless.
    Click here before you buy.

Add me to the lovers of the DJ. I have had mine for 10yrs, through several horses.

If you would like to test ride in one, PM me and I can give you some info.

Default International

When I recently went from a TB to a Connemara, I had to consign the new Berney Intl. which I loved! But it just did not translate to a smaller horse. I've decided that the new beast needs something more pony-sized. But the International had a great forward flap...and Mr. Berney added a slightly enhanced knee roll, so I felt very secure.

Oh, I'm liking these responses

Will PM you, Flightcheck!

I did 2 long format CCI* and a couple intermediates as well as years of preliminary in my DJ. Sold it when the new horse needed a narrower saddle and now prefer a slightly cushier feel (ride in a Wise-Air), but it is a great saddle. I certainly did some flat work in it, but it wasn't ideal and definitely didn't work for me on the flat once we were doing preliminary. I did really love the security of it.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I have a Berney Bros Junior Jumper (16 1/2" seat) not too much of a bucket.

Hard seat, excellent balance It has been a special friend for 23 years like old horses it is in "light" work. I save it for baby horses and ocean rides

I looked into getting a BB Dublin Jumper when I was buying my most recent saddle. I never did get to ride in one, but I'm fairly tall and looked into them for the reason of their suitability for long-legged riders. I've heard they are good for riders who are very long from hip to knee, however, I've also heard they are hard as a rock and very uncomfortable.

Just word of mouth and research, though. Never had a personal experience with one.

@dappled - out of curiosity, what did you end up getting?

I ended up with the Toulouse Marielle Monoflap - and I have mixed feelings about it. Some days I love riding in it and other days I question why I bought it. I'm on a budget so I couldn't afford the saddle of my dreams... and it gets the job done... but I'm not 100% in love with it.

Hard, yes. Uncomfortable, no.

Just speaking for the way it fit on my horse, but I found the BB Tom Waters in no way as balanced for flatwork as my old Smith Worthington Avalon which had a great sweet spot.

I love my Dublin Jumper. The seat is definitely harder, but not uncomfortable. And as deltawave said, it does put you in a bit of a chair seat, but I also prefer that.

I've done dressage in it at Training, it wasn't ideal, but it worked better for me at the time than my dressage saddle on a horse that has a tendency to be explosive when nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    Just speaking for the way it fit on my horse, but I found the BB Tom Waters in no way as balanced for flatwork as my old Smith Worthington Avalon which had a great sweet spot.
    But again, it's a xc saddle, not a flatwork saddle. Even Tom (Waters) would tell you that you aren't going to have the position you would need to do really, really correct dressage type flatwork in his saddle....but he designed to run and jump in. And for that, both the TW and the DJ are great.

OP, those who've been around for awhile know that I LOVED my TW (which is very, very similar to the DJ, but a little more minimalist), and about that I died when it inexplicably bit the dust on my a couple of years ago. That saddle was like a comfy pair of sneakers to me. It fit me perfectly, was very well balanced, tough as nails, supportive where I needed it, but did not trap me.

A good Berney saddle is a great saddle. Yes. They are hard, but, as I always say, they aren't meant for lounging around in, they are built for galloping and jumping (preferably over the muddy Irish countryside, over big drains and Irish banks ). If it works for you, it'll be just fine for what you want, and you should be very secure and well balanced over fences.

Now I want another one! Do they custom fit them to horses?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    But again, it's a xc saddle, not a flatwork saddle. Even Tom (Waters) would tell you that you aren't going to have the position you would need to do really, really correct dressage type flatwork in his saddle....but he designed to run and jump in. And for that, both the TW and the DJ are great.

YB, I completely agree with you. The DJ and TW are for XC, but the OP wants a saddle for flatwork and small fences, so I doubt it will meet her needs.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post

Now I want another one! Do they custom fit them to horses?
    DW, I know you can do wither tracings, just like you did for your new dressage saddle. Might not hurt to give Tom Berney a call!!

I have 2 DJs and agree with what most have said--I use it on green horses for flat, sometimes in tests, but it isn't ideal. If you lengthen your stirrups for flatwork it is better--the chair seat issues have to do with the flap, and with longer stirrups your legs are behind it.

I think it's tougher for us taller people to find a single saddle that works. If you need that forward a flap to jump, it is going to be a little awkward on the flat. If you jump with longer stirrups you might be able to get away with something less forward, more all-purposey, which could be easier for flatwork.