The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Groups that help transport rescues?

Anybody know of a website or facebook page for people who will help transport dogs? I have three that have to go to Greenville SC and one towards Durham, NC. I hope to continue to pull dogs from our shelter, so need to figure out the transport part.

I was told you can find "professionals" on uship, but that it takes a long time and costs as much as flying a dog (about $275 in cargo, and $125 if it is "hand luggage").
    Perhaps some of the smaller horse shipping companies would be willing to accommodate a crate in the truck or tack room?
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

I know of the ones below, but like any group, make sure you check them out first. You do want to be careful. There have been issues with transporters stealing dogs, so just make sure whoever you're using has done background checks on their transporters.

http://www.freedomtraintransports.com/

http://www.farec.org/transport.htm

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Anima...17998798306519

There's a group in Indiana too that I checked out for a rescue...but sounds like that's too far from you.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

i had one of my dogs flown for free from ohio to pa....mid ohio to phila area, so not just an over the state line jump...........
    angel "something" is their name..............pilots with their own small planes transport animals for free................do a search,or contact some rescues that may know who this group is...............i know there is more than one organization that does this

I have no others to add, but did see a couple episodes about Freedom Train on the Animal Planet chanel. It's a highly organized group of volunteers who transport animals coming out of high-kill rate shelters throughout the south (mostly). It was very inspiring and I cried like a baby!

You might try contacting Judy Bishop at jbishop_1@msn.com. I came in contact with her when we rescued two Akias from Missouri and had them shipped to Colorado to pick up.

it's Pilots and Paws, a wonderful organization.
    I used to drive one leg for rescue groups in Canada and it was a very rewarding experience.
    Unfortunately, I can't afford to do it any more.
    I know someone who does it in SC and up the East Coast every other week. Maybe she could help you by getting you some contacts. I will ask her.

Just sent you a PM!
    When life gives you lemons. . .say &%^# you lemons! And throw those lemons back in life's face so that it will be afraid of you and won't try that crap again!

I've driven Labs before, receiving requests through Lab rescue organizations in my area. If any of the dogs is of one particular breed, check here, http://www.akc.org/breeds/rescue.cfm#401 for the National rescue for that breed, and they may be able to help. Good luck!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Thanks!
    Yikes, LauraKY!
    I have done a lot of local rescue but just now getting into trying tio transport farther away.

I transport for Open Arms Pound Rescue. They take take dogs from kill shelters in KY, Tenn, Ohio and transport to rescues in Canada. It is very rewarding. I always find one dog on transport that I would like to keep.

Pooches on the Move might cover your area. They do have a fee associated with them. If you're transporting across state lines at all, please double check the import requirements of the state you're shipping to. I look at paperwork all the time for animals shipped into Maine where our regulations have been ignored. There will likely be standardization among the New England states soon. Earlier this month I treated a pup with parvo coming off a semi truck which had exposed countless dogs disbursed along the East coast.

There is a yahoo group called "On The Road Again' (maybe OTRA), that does volunteer relays for rescued pets. People each drive a 2 hr leg or so to get pet to new home.

OP if you're finding dogs that a breed rescue will take, contact your closest rescue for the breed. A lot of times they have a network of volunteers who can help transport. I know the collie rescue I volunteered with had transporters from Georgia and Tennessee to Illinois and New York.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

They are no particular breed. having no luck so far. It isn't all that far, but i was hoping not to have to do it myself.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Shea'smom - I am picking up my girl tomorrow (!!!) & her foster mom seems to have a lot of NC rescue contacts. I'd be happy to ask her if she knows of anyone who would help if you like?
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey