The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is it possible...

I have a lovely APHA mare who has a very sporthorse look to her and a lovely trot. She's a 15.1 Black tobiano. I have been looking to sell her as she isn't going to work as a school horse ( she was a rescue...) Recently someone looked at her as a broodmare ( she was a broodmare when I got her) and passed because of her age ( 17)

Can a paint mare be approved in ANY of the stud books???

CSHA will take APHA mares (Canadian Sport Horse Association)

An APHA son of my Guaranteed Gold TB stallion recently went to an RPSI inspection (my stallion isnt RPSI approved - only CSHA) and is in Book II

I believe (and someone correct me if I am wrong) CSHA and RPSI would be the only options for her out there

The colt from the above cross is very much a hunter type and is currently showing in the Baby Greens, so it IS possible to produce a Sport Horse that could have some value in both APHA shows and regular Open shows in future years

Good luck!

To be clear- RPSI's Book II is not an approval of any sort. It's a money grab by the RPSI, in my opinion. Essentially a COP.

RPSI and ISR would probably be your best options. Or AWS/AWR because they'll accept anything.

AFAIK no reputable registry will approve a Paint mare. Some may put her in their lowest book, or accept her foals into the lowest books, or issue them a COP. But then you have to ask yourself, is that what a responsible breeder would aim for?
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." George Burns

2 members found this post helpful.

I would say your best bet financially would be to sell her as an APHA broodmare or as a riding horse for a more advanced amateur that loves color. Your just never going to get your money back by taking her to a registry approval and then selling her as a sporthorse broodmare. If she had a show record and has already produced foals that have proven themselves in the showring then it would be a different story. Selling her as a sporthorse broodmare now is a hard road to take as she is already 17 years old.

If you were breeding for yourself then I would say registry approval is a venture that would be worthwhile. Although still expensive, it is a great experience and in the end you have an approved mare producing foals with papers documenting bloodlines. You truly learn alot about your animals by going this route and having educated outside eyes inspecting your horses. You learn what their strong points are and what areas need improvement.

I am not familiar with most registry requirements as they are all different. I did attend an AWR inspection though and they were wonderful. They will not "accept" just anything. Conformation, movement and temperament are judged just as any "reputable" registry does. The particular day I was there one horse was turned away due to poor temperament and I want to say two others were not approved due to conformation not being up to sporthorse standards. The inspectors that were there while I attended were German and extremely knowledgable/helpful. My horse (he was a foal) was approved for registration papers, breeding approval would have been another whole adventure that I just did not have the funds for.

Good luck as far as selling your girl. It is a hard market and wish the best for you and an appropriate home for your girl.
    '10 Dolce Latte G - Thoroughbred Mare (chestnut at that!)
    '12 Genever - KWPN/Thoroughbred Mare

She could be bred for a Half-Arabian, Half-Andalusian, Half-Welsh Cob foal...I don't know if there are other registries that do that.

You can always breed her to a TB and still register the foal with APHA. There is a market for HUS paints.

3 members found this post helpful.

Heres a link to a picture of the colt I referred to:

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...ow-501454.html

If your mare is the right TYPE of APHA mare, not only could the offspring successfully show in APHA shows which do have a terrific market and following they will also hold their own in regular Open "B" or "A" shows depending on where their talent and their owner's pocketbook take them ...

Quote Originally Posted by fairtheewell View Post
    She could be bred for a Half-Arabian, Half-Andalusian, Half-Welsh Cob foal...I don't know if there are other registries that do that.
    I LOVE Andalusians and a briefly thought of this. HOWEVER I Have a RPSI and BWP approved TB mare that I am breeding with the hopes of having successful warmblood registered hunter foals.

I was just curious on the feasibility about this ( and was a little stunned when the person asked specifically for a black and white tobiano paint mare for her sporthorse breeding program.

Thank you for all who answered. They were the answers I THOUGHT I knew but as I am just starting out I thought I would just double check!

VERY NICE TrueColours! Proof that the correct APHA can produce gorgeous sporthorse offspring. Beautiful form as well as color on that horse!
    '10 Dolce Latte G - Thoroughbred Mare (chestnut at that!)
    '12 Genever - KWPN/Thoroughbred Mare

3 members found this post helpful.

With black/APHA/15.1 hands, I'd guess you will probably do the best aiming her for the APHA market or maybe even a pony breeder. WB registries/buyers would be turned off by her size. I think.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I bred the colt TC linked to. His dam, although most definitely a stock type, had quite incredible power and 'sit'. She has passed that on to all of her foals. I am keeping the third full sibling as I lost the dam - all three can be seen on my website and also her first filly by the Trakehner stallion Feuertanzer who was much more substantial than I wanted - hence my choice of a TB for her next foal.

1 members found this post helpful.