The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Very Bad Russian Horse Slaughter

I am warning, this is absolutely awful but I can not sleep until I know a way to do SOMETHING ANYTHING to stop this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K55sIk-c5Hk&sns=em

Why is this happening???

Why I hate so many humans. Sickening. I could only watch a few seconds

I watched the whole thing....I don't know how. I just don't understand why things are done this way.

I can't handle it....

Dear God in heaven,

Please protect us all, humans & animals, from the viscious that live among us.

Amen.

I hate people, do they not have freaking GUNS???
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

1 members found this post helpful.

Just awful . I made the unfortunate choice of watching the whole thing..

I don't understand why they can't do it humanely. Letting them suffer like that is just awful.

I kept hoping one of the men would slip and get caught in the thrashing.

I can't make myself watch. Can someone give a brief synopsis of what is going on? Message me if it's too disturbing.

I watch all of maybe 2 seconds... just enough to see a guy about to hit a grey horse who was trying to get up. :0(

^^ same here - sounds like an image I do not need in my brain.

I have a pretty strong stomach and can usually take these videos, but that was way beyond too much for me. I didn't make it passed 30 seconds.

It genuinely scares me that those people walk the earth. They are no better than wild animals and should be treated as such.
    The best is yet to come

That was truly awful. I did watch it all. Horrific.

Does anyone know of anything that can be done about this? The horses are being beaten to death with axes and die slowly while struggling to get away. It is beyond horrifying.

I spoke to a woman who did her MSc thesis looking at the stress levels of horses vs the quality of their meat- a well known fact for other production animals is that stress decreases the quality (ie pork)- and she said she had a lot of trouble getting the information she needed from many abattoirs in continental Europe, even incurring death threats from the mafia. Seeing these people doesn't surprise me to think of a mafia connection to horse slaughter in Europe- takes a certain type of person to do that to an animal. On the flipside, it may be very hard to stop this practice as a result of the people running the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby View Post
    I spoke to a woman who did her MSc thesis looking at the stress levels of horses vs the quality of their meat- a well known fact for other production animals is that stress decreases the quality (ie pork)- and she said she had a lot of trouble getting the information she needed from many abattoirs in continental Europe, even incurring death threats from the mafia. Seeing these people doesn't surprise me to think of a mafia connection to horse slaughter in Europe- takes a certain type of person to do that to an animal. On the flipside, it may be very hard to stop this practice as a result of the people running the industry.
    uh...how are we getting from Russia to 'Europe'?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

2 members found this post helpful.

What is going on is not that they are beating them to death with the sledges but rather they are trying to "stun" them. Once they got them down, they cut their throats. "Knocking" cattle to stun them for slaughter used to be done with a sledgehammer too in the old days...thus the term "knock box." Done correctly by a strong man with force it's no more inhumane than a stun gun..which with a horse is questionable since they have thicker skulls than cattle. I'm certainly not condoning the horrific treatment of the horses in that video but that is how I interpreted it.

The horses were poorly restrained or practically loose and slipping and falling on the wet floor making their accuracy pretty awful causing much suffering and pain. The horses were in full view of the other dying and struggling animals making them even more frantic. Truly a cluster**k.

As to what can be done...that's a lot harder. If this is a foreign country where human rights are not a priority, I think getting anyone to treat animals humanely is a lost hope or enforcing animal cruelty laws. Perhaps there is some international animal welfare organization that could be notified to try and put some pressure on the authorities in this country?

The absolute worst "animal slaughter" video I've ever seen was of dog slaughter in China. They have to beat them to death to make them taste best and I mean to tell you I was sobbing trying to watch that. Dogs hit over the head and skinned alive and left to die from shock. It was even worse than this video.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    I
    Why is this happening???
    Because there are a lot of people in this world who need killin'.

The people in that video are among them. There is absolutely no reason some basic precautions cannot be taken that lessens the animals stress and fear. None.

The people in that country need to stop it. I don't know what we can do from here except hope and pray it stops. It doesn't matter that those are horses - no innocent living being deserves to die that way. Not one.

The way dogs are slaughtered in China has got to be the most horrific thing I've ever seen. If they want to eat dog - that's fine. But there is absolutely no justification for the pain and suffering intentionally inflicted. None.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes, aside from the inhumane slaughter of horses, the puppies in China are placed in a bag and beaten to death. We have Chow dogs and they are the choice of dog for human consumption in China still. There was a huge article years ago about this in National Geographic, it truly made me sick.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

I can handle a LOT and can almost always finish a video. Not this one. Like morgansnmind, the grey horse being hit with the struggling horse next to them was the stopping point for me.

Horrible. At least get a f**king gun.
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    uh...how are we getting from Russia to 'Europe'?
    Yes, you're right, although I have seen similar videos from Europe, Asia and South America. I guess my thought was more about the "why does this happen and how do we stop it" rather than the actual geographical location of the video itself

The absolute worst "animal slaughter" video I've ever seen was of dog slaughter in China. They have to beat them to death to make them taste best and I mean to tell you I was sobbing trying to watch that. Dogs hit over the head and skinned alive and left to die from shock. It was even worse than this video.
    they claim the abusive methods they use to slaughter dogs has an actual purpose- for some reason they think it makes them taste better. I strongly suggest not ever watching videos of the process, it's truly horrible. I have nightmares to this day of watching a video of someone skin a gorgeous german shepherd alive- chained his head into a bicycle rack and just went at it.
    Nothing at all like the video of someone home-butchering pigs- sledgehammer to the head, unconscious, bleed out. Ugly, but not horrific abuse.

Not just there, see this link?
    imhttp://www.puppybeef.com/pair you can buy it in the US- surely someone can stop these people? No comments about how they get the dogs or kill them, but I saw another link, now removed, where they bragged about how they slowly strangled young St. Bernards to get good-tasting meat. Accompanied by a pic of a terrified St. Bernard about to be strung up on a rope.

However, stress is believed to impair the meat of horses, so these idiots in this video (which I will not watch) are not doing their jobs properly- they are damaging the product and endangering themselves, using improper technique.