The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do I Dare? Considering new dog food for sensitive eater...

I have an 8yo Irish Wolfhound that I and my exSO adopted 3 years ago when she was 5.

When we first got her, she really had little training (had been confined to a small yard w/ an invisible fence), didn't know how to calmly walk on a leash, and was very, very nervous, considering the upheaval in her life.

Food for her was a puzzle. After a few months we finally were able to pinpoint that she could eat Dick Van Patten's Limited Ingredient Natural Balance with no problems. Original owner had suggested a couple of other expensive foods, but this was the only one we tried that didn't seem to upset her.

In the mornings I add some cooked ground turkey - in the evening she gets NuPro supplement added on for her joints.

When I was with exSO, although we did work out of his home, it could get chaotic - life was fraught with lots of trips back and forth between homes, and frankly, lots of other upsetting/routine breaking folderol and crises. Plus he would "sense" that she needed to go out at all times during the night, and would sometimes let her out at say, 4am, often loose without supervision (right by the shore, and a creekbed). He also didn't like to "keep her on a leash" when walking in his neighborhood, or nature trails.

We would have episodes, from time to time, of her getting the runs, or otherwise being off her food. I have also identified some trails near here where I no longer take her - it's apparent they are contaminated with giarrdia (my old riding trails! )

In my house, where we've been now the past 2 years, we have a pretty good routine, and she has no need to wake up in the middle of the night - and frankly I always thought it rubbish. If I wake up during the night and she stirs, I just tell her to lay back down - with not a problem. During the past year, exSO has visited a few times, and all of a sudden she'll "have to go out at 4am!"

The food has stayed the same - and she has been eating better than she ever has.

So she is also going through it more quickly - not at all starving - just doing very well. Her weight has been the most stable it has ever been.

I'm having to count my pennies, and again, in 3 weeks, another $60 bag is empty. I'm wondering if I can put a toe in the water and try something not quite so expensive... Frankly, she can eat most people food with no problems. LOVES buttered toast! Also cheese sticks, cottage cheese, left over soup, stews or dinner food (meat, potatoes, some veggies) - doesn't seem to bother her system a bit.

Any recommendations? From all of you who have had dogs with sensitive systems - even better if they are big doggies.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Our sensitive stomach dogs (Great Dane and Boxer mix) have been doing great of the Costco's Nature's Domain Salmon and Potato dog food. I think it is running 33.99 for a 40lb bag right now though... but what can you do? The Kirkland Signature Chicken and Rice did not agree with them and neither did the Lamb and Rice. Our vet suggested finding a fish based protein food and that has seemed to do the trick. I guess it is a plus that the food ended up being grain free although I am not sure if our dogs actually react negatively to grains.

Good luck!

There's Tractor Supply's 4Health Salmon and Sweet Potato (they now have a completely grain-free formula, too.) Also fairly inexpensive and easy to find, as 'premium' foods go.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    There's Tractor Supply's 4Health Salmon and Sweet Potato (they now have a completely grain-free formula, too.) Also fairly inexpensive and easy to find, as 'premium' foods go.
    Beat me to it! I second the TSC 4Health Salmon and Sweet Potato.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Beat me to it! I second the TSC 4Health Salmon and Sweet Potato.

Paula
    Yay! And yay!

Plenty of TSCs nearby. And heading out that way tomorrow.

Just no Costco's. Have to go out of state!

I've been pouring over internet sources of Dick Van Patten's Natural Choice, and they're all the same price.

Toula and I thank you!

Wow - $37 for 35 pounds. Much easier to take than $59 for 28!!
    Last edited by CVPeg; Feb. 27, 2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: additional info
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

There is definitely a challenge in finding good food for low cost. I have found that quite a few of the blends of chicken kibble I've tried -including the Kirkland Costco brand -stank. They smelled like boiled chicken feathers (if you've ever smelled what chicken carcasses smell like when they're scalded to remove the feathers) and the dogs pick up that smell very quickly.

Yoshi's old man stomach was getting farty on Core so I went looking for a little less protein, but no filler and found the TSC brand. I had been using the canned cat with good success, and was surprised by how many blends the TSC brand offered. I picked up the chicken blend with trepidation, but found to my pleasure no stink. So I'm liking the 4Health at TSC very much.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).