The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Has anyone tried either Icelandic Safety Stirrups or Double-Offset stirrups?

Hello to all!
    I'm making plans for some of my tax return money (depending on how long the Sequester lasts).

Has anyone tried Icelandic Safety stirrups or Double-Offset stirrups? If so, what was your experience like?

Best Regards,
    Amber

I;ve had the icelandic ones, but didn't have to test them, fortunately. I did hear on one of the icey boards that you need to get the ones that have curves on both branches, tho.

1 members found this post helpful.

I love them! I got mine from National Bridle I think, haven't fallen off or anything to test them. However, they are great because there is no turning of the leather, and you don't have to poke around with your toe to find the stirrup. You just get on and they are right there- I like this feature on green horses, no looking down or toe poking needed. I don't understand why all stirrups, english and western are not turned this way. Much more comfortable.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tollertwins View Post
    I;ve had the icelandic ones, but didn't have to test them, fortunately. I did hear on one of the icey boards that you need to get the ones that have curves on both branches, tho.
    That is very good advice. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by muleygirl View Post
    I love them! I got mine from National Bridle I think, haven't fallen off or anything to test them. However, they are great because there is no turning of the leather, and you don't have to poke around with your toe to find the stirrup. You just get on and they are right there- I like this feature on green horses, no looking down or toe poking needed. I don't understand why all stirrups, english and western are not turned this way. Much more comfortable.
    I'll check out National Bridle today. My boy is very green and very hot -I can use all the help I can get. Thank you!