The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Talk to me about: "Green" Osselets

Had the saddle fitter, chiro and vet out to rule out any physical issues that could be causing my youngster OTTB tantrums during lessons/more difficult work.

Saddle was adjusted slightly, nothing majorly off, but squashing his shoulders just a bit. Lots of stuff out of whack throughout his spine, mostly in the pelvic area. Direct quote from chiro "don't be alarmed if his butt looks completely different when I'm done." He's has this slight swelling on his front ankle, but until Friday had been sound on it and it would vary in amount day to day. Decided to just xray it to know what was actually going on in there, vet says he's working on an osselet. Nothing major, no visible chips or anything, just some bone remodeling. Vet doesn't believe soft tissue is compromised based on xrays, area of the swelling and palpation.

Tx: Light work and turnout for 4-8wks, then re-evaluate. Also suggested chondroprotective agents, either injectable or oral (specifically Adequan, Legend or Cosequin).

I asked about her experience with Pentosan and she said she thinks it has promise, but when horses on Adequan or Chondrotek (? another injectable) were switched to pentosan the owners/trainers were not happy with the results.

Any one prefer one over the other in a case like this?

I'm not sure I would count on these to do much for osselets, as they are not really a problem of the articular cartilage, AFAIK. It is, IIRC, more analagous to bucked shins in the early stages--inflammation of the periosteum and not necessarily a degenerative cartilage problem. Of course if left untreated some of them can progress to frank arthritis, but if your plan is to rest the horse until the joints quiet down, it might not be worth using anything of the "joint lubricant" variety. Maybe Legend, for its anti-inflammatory properties and better action on the synovium?
    Click here before you buy.

That's kind of my thoughts as well, since the osselet is in no way going to damage the actual joint.

I've been looking into a possible supplement with HA and MSM to help alleviate any inflammation. I did some serious research regarding joint therapies last year with my previous horse who had minor arthritis is his hocks. What I deduced is that of the nutraceuticals, HA and ASU were shown to have the greatest affect on the synovium as well has the cartilage (I'm greatly paraphrasing). Since I don't really feel like paying for all of Cosequin just to get ASU, I'm looking into other options.