The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We have a failed guest worker program. We need a much better one.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBrooksFarm View Post
    Am I the only one that sees a giant ding dong trailing behind the horse?
    He broke his leg jumping from arroyo to arroyo.

"I think we should target people who hire illegals. If you have to pay a very hefty fine for being caught using illegal labor, instead of just a slap on the hand, it will slow down.

Agree, vehemently! My business owner brother-in-law drunkenly rants about illegal immigrants all the time; one day he asked my opinion: OBVIOUSLY, if there is no paid work, people won't come looking for it. Business owners who hire illegal workers should be fined, heftily!

He did not care for that one bit, ha ha, since he is one of those hypocritical types who hires illegal immigrants so he can pay them less than minimum wage while at the same time railing at their existence. Gordon Smith, former Oregon senator, did the same - railed against illegal immigrants, but his pea plant employed workers without proper documents.

I don't like the yellow shirt at all.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    They aren't "Migrants", they're criminals and thieves. They steal medical care, food, welfare, schooling for their children...and Americans are stuck paying for them and the crimes they commit. I hope the "illegals" feel scared to death and will stay home and make their own country a success.
    I am sorry, but there is only so much the little guy can do to make his own country a success when the big money holds all the cards. Not sure about the countries further down south, but Me4xico is a friggin scary place tight now. Lead content in the air exceeds dangerous levels in a lot of places, even well off cities.

Not to mention a lot of them do work with face social security cards, which means they do pay in but will never be able to collect...

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    humm wrong term; the term should be illegal alien

a foreigner who has entered or resides in a country unlawfully or without the country's authorization.

a foreigner who enters the U.S. without an entry or immigrant visa, especially a person who crosses the border by avoiding inspection or who overstays the period of time allowed as a visitor, tourist, or businessperson

Regarding the tee shirt, very bad... poor taste, not a wise choice at all
    Nah, it is immigrant: a person who moves to another country.

It is a neutral term.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post

Nah, it is immigrant: a person who moves to another country.

It is a neutral term.
    I am sorry your educational process failed you. The United States does not have an open door border policy. Those that sidestep the immigration process are not immigrates

The term maybe neutral (in your opinion), the policy is specific

Just because a groom may have come from another land to improve their welfare does not make it right or correct unless they have gone through the immigration process.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    I am sorry your educational process failed you. The United States does not have an open door border policy. Those that sidestep the immigration process are not immigrates

The term maybe neutral (in your opinion), the policy is specific

Just because a groom may have come from another land to improve their welfare does not make it right or correct unless they have gone through the immigration process.
    I think you are missing the point, and my education has not failed me.
    Maybe yours is failing.

An immigrant is a person moving in, an emigrant one moving out.
    It a directional situation, not a legal one.

besides, these people are not aliens, they are humans.

I did not comment on their legal status. Nor do I care to.
    I was commenting on the situation that they had to have road signs to alert drivers to situation like other places with deer: drive with care or you might hit a few. And it would upset me much more to hit a family of people, legal or otherwise, compared to deer....
    Last edited by Alagirl; Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling, of course

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    We used to have the Braceros program. Mexicans came to work in the US temporarily and then go home once the season was over. Then, they seemed to decide they didn't want to leave, brought their families and stayed. So much for that program.

It's BS that Americans won't due the labor needed. Go to a northern state...no blacks or hispanics...white people cleaning hotels, working at McDonalds and Walmart, working construction etc. The illegals are taking the jobs the black and white kids used to get as entry level future skilled jobs...e.g. welders, construction, electricians, plumbers etc...not any more...high unemployment, especially in inner-city black youth, construction won't hire them, hispanic crews only hiring other hispanics, they don't like blacks so they don't hire them.
    Horse related?
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Horse related?
    yes

mucking stalls is horse related.

The original post was marginal in its horse-relatedness, and the conversation has veered into non-horse-related immigration matters, so we're going to shut it down.

Mod 3